Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked sewage drain in rented house

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi. I need a bit of advice from you guys on my rented house:

Basically the drain at the back of the house is blocked and there is raw sewage coming out of it. If you flush the toilets some of it will pour out at the back of the house. There has very plainly been a cheap repair done as there are concrete blocks which make a "step" at the back door and these cover where the sewage is flowing. Also the pipes are ancient and rusty.
    I called the agent and told her and she got back to me saying that the landlord says that wear and tear is our responsibility. He expects us to pay for any attention that this requires.

I called the PRTB and they said that it is his responsibility and I have relayed this back to the agent. I am now expecting him to call me and I would like to be ready for this. I'd hate to have to go down the dispute route but I will if I have to.

Any advice seriously appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bootsy11

I had a similar case when I was renting a flat in town. The council got complaints about the smell and called up to us. They asked me if I was the property owner, as I wasn't they explained that it was the property owners (landlord) responsibility to fix the problem. I gave his number the problem was rectified, no queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Great. Thanks for the reply.

I actually cant believe he expects us to pay for an obvious unrectified fault in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

This happened to me about ten years ago (not rented accomodation though) and we called the council, back then (maybe its still the same) when there's raw sewage involved the council have a responsibility on Public Health grounds to have it sorted, once the blockage is not within the walls of the house (i.e. if it's in the pipework outside the house but still within the site).

Thanks for the reply. I just got a phone call from a drainage place saying they are on the way. I didnt arrange this and certainly amn't paying for it so I guess its a result. Had to leave work and am waiting a half hour for them now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the landlord says that wear and tear is our responsibility.
    Ordinary wear and tear is the landlord's responsibility.

You are only responsible for excessive wear and tear. I presume you aren't flushing sand or J-cloths down the drain?

A lot of drainage blocks over the last few years have been put down to untearable kitchen/toilet paper.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Ordinary wear and tear is the landlord's responsibility.

You are only responsible for excessive wear and tear. I presume you aren't flushing sand or J-cloths down the drain?

A lot of drainage blocks over the last few years have been put down to untearable kitchen/toilet paper.

Funny you should say that.
    The drain guys pulled out a ball of baby wipes about the size of a bowling ball; one of the most disgusting things I've ever had the displeasure to see and smell.
    The agent told me four girls lived here last but its four guys now so wasnt our fault.
    Also the drain is really old and needs a big job done on it very soon as well so I probably have more of this to look forward to. :mad:

Thanks for the replies. Sorted now.

Advertisement