Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy barbed wire ?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Ok - I've had enough of the little tip-rats (and p!ssed up hoodies) climbing over my wall.

I want to get some barbed wire to nail up.

I have been to Woodies, Chadwicks and Universal Providers to no avail. I asked where to get some and they sort of recommended each of the other shops !

Where do farmers get their barbed wire or any suggestions please ?

Thanks

Comments

Try Lawler Agri supplies on the Callan road.
    mapdata?Point=b&Point.latitude_e6=52639496&Point.longitude_e6=4287698950&Point.iconid=37&Point=e&latitude_e6=52639496&longitude_e6=4287698950&zm=4000&w=250&h=125&cc=&min_priority=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The farmers score their gear at Farm and Industrial on Barrack Street. It's the little street that connects John's Green to the Xroads at Lenihan's pub and the Army barracks. Extreme Pizza is on Barrack street.

As well as rusty razor wire, consider shards of glass set in concrete, or you could go all Viet Cong on their ass and fashion sharpened bamboo sticks, smeared with your own excrement.

Bear in mind that if one of these little turds can prove that you set a trap for them maliciously, you will have a law suit on your hands. Better off just lying in wait and mauling them anonymously with a wrench.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Farmers Store in West Street in Callan would likely have it to,

Drive towards Callan and take the 3rd exit which is also signed for Waterford, drive approx 200metres and its on your right where the old cremery is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

fabbydabby wrote: »
    The farmers score their gear at Farm and Industrial on Barrack Street. It's the little street that connects John's Green to the Xroads at Lenihan's pub and the Army barracks. Extreme Pizza is on Barrack street.

As well as rusty razor wire, consider shards of glass set in concrete, or you could go all Viet Cong on their ass and fashion sharpened bamboo sticks, smeared with your own excrement.

Bear in mind that if one of these little turds can prove that you set a trap for them maliciously, you will have a law suit on your hands. Better off just lying in wait and mauling them anonymously with a wrench.
    I like where your head is at with the sharpened bamboo.... now allow me to expand on the idea if you will.

Join a sword based martial art, practice your cuts on said bamboo as it simulates the human neck, All cuts should be at angles thus making the bamboo sharpened, leave sharpened bamboo out the back. Wait for the smug feeling when you hear them wailing.

Your legal defence, I use them for martial arts practice, nobody but me(and whoever you live with) ever go into our back yard, then press charges over tress passing for that double smug feeling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Thats great - thanks for the suggestions.

I spoke to KK Gardai who advised me to call them next time people are tresspassing, but dont apprehend them or shout at them or hurt them in anyway but to get a description of them..

" ...yes they were wearing errrr a hoodie and runners.. ....ok... your sending someone around within the hour ? ....errr ok ...."
    :rolleyes:

I like the Viet Cong suggestion. Maybe I'll have barbed wire along the wall except for a gap where I'll have a manhole dug and 'poo-sticks' at the bottom to impale them ?! That'll learn them.

The wall is between two private properties which is different (apparently) than if one side is a public place for putting up barbed wire.

Thanks again for the places will give them a go.

• Advertisement

Another idea would to be to hook up a battery fencer (used to fence livestock) to a bit of fencing wire placed along the top of the wall. When they try to climb it, they'll get shocked and won't be able to climb over. and it won't seriously hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

i use whats called security paint, its paint that never drys if you touch it and your cover in the oilly based paint, so hard to get off.... put it along the top of the wall let anyone try touch it and they will be destroyed in it, they wont be gettin it out of there hoodies and there lovely addidas tracksuits will be destroyed....

Yeah that vandal paint worked a treat on the religous protesters outside the strip club when they tried to sit on their window sill.

The fencer is a good idea, and you cxan get that in the farm place too. Actually you could buy pitchforks and equipment to make burning torches in there as well.

Gem of a place, that farm shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Haha, seriously, they used that security paint stuff on the religious whackjobs?

Just on their window sills on Friday evenings, heh.

They also liberally watered the window boxes on the upstairs windows with large sweeps of the hand..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eire_kp61

im sure setting glass into cement on top of walls is illegal now ,
    barb etc is probally not alloud eather ,

i wonder would thick tar keep them from climbing over

is this at your business or home

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

eire_kp61 wrote: »
    im sure setting glass into cement on top of walls is illegal now , barb etc is probally not alloud eather

Trespassing is illegal too.

Lovin' the story about the ol' wans and the vandal paint on the window sills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Loveless wrote: »

Neighbour of mine had the same problem and used the security paint. l;ast we saw of them - worked a treat

Loveless wrote: »

Yeah I've mates that drink in Parliament street and they used to argue with them every time they went out for a smoke, just for the laugh.

Personally, I couldn't be arsed with arguing, protesting or viewing at the strip club. I have always subscribed to the analogy that the idea of a strip club is like a fancy resturaunt with nice food that only ever lets you look at the menu, or in the case of Whispers, a chipper that only lets you look at the menu.

Either way I can think of easier and cheaper ways of getting into an arguement or making myself sexually frustrated.

What was this thread about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brendangeo

I am looking for barbed wire to stop HUDs climbing into garden

Where is best place to get in Dublin.. Need about 20 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Not much point asking in Kilkenny forum where to get it in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kilkenny Barbed wire is considered to be some of the best in the Country though, maybe hes just a discerning buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Brendangeo wrote: »
    I am looking for barbed wire to stop HUDs climbing into garden

Where is best place to get in Dublin.. Need about 20 metres
    No point digging up a 2 year thread.

Why would a head up display climb into your garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 _Tony_Stark_

We had the same problem, but what we used was burgler paint, (That thick tar) its pretty harmless, but very effective, if you get in on your cloths it destroys them.
    I think all hardware stores do it.
    We got ours in woodies though.
    All you have to do is smear it all over the wall they are climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gaffney92

look im a farmer, you are allowed put up barbed wire as long as you put up a sign also,,, " Caution Barbed wire. Do not climb!" thats all, perfectly legal, i had a dispute before with "hoodlums" i put up barbed wire and a sign, gaurds came took a look and and said thats fine. bye bye

Advertisement