Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options
  • 29-07-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

As you may be aware from my earlier posts, I've been poking about regarding debit cards today...

Anyway... the significant news appears to be that Ulster Bank will be issuing new debit cards to all Ulster Bank customers from September 2009. They will be ditching Maestro and moving to the Visa Debit network. I suspect it will take 12-18 months for all customers to be changed over...

When they first mentioned it, they indicated it was a Visa Electron card which I got excited about and specifically double-checked to be sure. The person I was talking to double-checked and discovered it was the normal Visa Debit cards - NOT the electron. :(

so no cheap booking fees for online flights it seems... Wonder if there are any of advantages / disadvantages with the Visa Debit network?

UPDATE: to be clear, the change will result in your debit card supporting the Laser and Visa Debit networks instead of the Laser and Maestro networks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It was always unlikely to be the Visa Electron :)

RBS and Natwest (Ulster Bank's sister organisations) have started moving over to issue Visa Debit cards for their customers. So it doesn't surprise me that UB are doing it, but I don't seem to find any actual confirmation anywhere. Certainly Ulster Bank in the North would be affected by RBS/Natwest's move - but down here, I'm not so sure. Have you any links or info to support it?

As for the advantages/disadvantages - search the multitude of threads on "visa debit" on this forum. The majority of peoples experiences with the Halifax Visa debit seem to have been quite positive from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Just received confirmation from Ulster Bank's press office...
    Ulster Bank Group is pleased to confirm that it will begin issuing Visa debit cards to all its customers by the end of 2009.

contact was:
    Deirdre O'Connell
    Media Relations
    Communications and Corporate Services
    Ulster Bank Group
    Ulster Bank Group Centre
    George's Quay
    Dublin 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Polly74

I wish BOI would do this. It gives a lot more flexibility from the point o fview of oredering goods and services online. Laser is only really restricted to Ireland and I hate buying goods online in ireland because all the prices are so bloody inflated. Ii think its a good move and will also eliminate Visa credit card debts too. You only spend what you have!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 natweststaff

I can also confirm that ulster bank are transitioning to visa debit from Septemeber. The transition will be across the whole of the RBS Group

RBS starts 15/08
    Natwest & Ulster Bank starts 05/09

You find similar leaflets to these in your statements:

http://www.rbs.co.uk/content/personal/downloads/NoticeOfVariation0609.pdf

http://www.natwest.com/olb/mandatory_message/downloads/keeping_you_informed_0609.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11 d2carazy

i like the sound of this, i never got a credit card as i had no use for them except online and if the visa debit can do this i wont be getting a credit card.

• Advertisement

Well if it is true for Ulster in ROI, then thumbs up for them.

Hopefully another bank will break ranks from the Laser cartel (NIB, I'm looking at you, as you issue Visa Debit in other markets) and we'll finally see some movement on the stranglehold that Laser has had.

The bizarre thing is that AIB issue Visa Debit in NI for First Trust customers. Now if they switched, that would be a seismic event. We can but hope..

For ulster bank customers with online banking.

If you sign in and go to your account balances.

You should see account summary and underneath it says:

Important information: Read about essential updates and changes relating to your bank account and services

If you click on that line it will show you communications and one of them is the new terms and conditions about the new visa debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well i can confirm being an insider that Visa Debit is coming and its a welcome change from the Lazer system. The amount of complaints about Lazer cards not working in terminals was the main reason for the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=895875&postcount=9

just on the linked post.

they will not replace your laser card until it has expired.
    so that is why i will loose mine or damage mine

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Existing customers with Maestro/Laser cards can continue to use there Cards as normal. Customers will receive their new Visa Debit cards on request or replacement or as their current card expires.

So if you wait until the a few days after the 05/09/09 and report you card damaged or something to that effect you'll get a new visa debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

This is fantastic news. It also offers ROI customers a viable option if Halifax (Irelands only VISA DEBIT card) do decide to pull out. I could not return to Laser card and credit card to carry out my financial dealings. Everything is much more simplified with a VISA debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

100gSoma wrote: »
    Everything is much more simplified with a VISA debit card.

Nice sales pitch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Davy wrote: »
    Nice sales pitch :pac:

No need for sales pitch, I'm in no way affiliated with any of the Visa Debit banks but I can justify that it's a brilliant product if you buy/book a lot of stuff online. It's recognised everywhere, very versatile, you don't need credit cards, I got mine from Halifax so no fees, decent online banking etc. I couldn't go back to a brick&mortar Laser/CC offer.

I hope Halifax stays - my exp with them is brilliant - but it's good to have another option. Laser system is so backwater.

Roll them Visas on I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Provided they use both Laser and Visa then I don't mind, but if they ditch laser altogether it could be a right pita. Not everywhere will take visa, my wife has a visa debit card from halifax, and places like LIDL don't accept visa but will take laser meaning she has to have cash with her every time she shops, there are other places too she's mentioned that only take laser but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I didnt mean it like that, more you should get on to visa marketing ;)

I have one myself for 2 years-ish and find it great

When I started using my Visa Debit I was told in some Spars or Centras that they can't give me cashback - but then I was given cashback no trouble in the same shops so either they were unfamiliar with the card and didn't know they can or they've upgraded their systems since.

I always have a backup card with me anyway so it didn't matter to me that much.

I didnt mean it like that, more you should get on to visa marketing ;)

I could easily be Visa Debit poster girl :D

Well it simply wasn't in Aldi/Lidl's interest to set themselves up to accept Visa Debit before. It simply didn't have enough of a market share when Halifax were the sole issuers. However now that a major bank, which a lot of their customers use, will soon have issuing Visa Debit cards they have more of an incentive to make the change and sort out their systems.

I believe Postbank's (non-Laser) Maestro card suffers the same - Aldi don't accept them, and Lidl may/may not if people's experiences from this forum are as I remember them being posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont know how anyone survives on laser alone. Ive been using visa debit or the equivalent for 13 years approx. If halifax shut and no visa debit was available it would be like swapping my ipod for a 'ghettoblaster'. The sooner irish banks move into the 21st century the better.

If there is anything attractive on offer at ulster after they start issuing il get an account there too, just incase halifax pull the plug, which would be a great shame imo, never had anything but good service in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Got a letter today informing me of my Visa Debit T's & C's with Ulster Bank...did a google search for more info and found this thread. I'm so happy, I have a Halifax card, but was considering switching back to Ulster because of the rumours of late (I'm heading abroad for a few months and the last thing I want to hear when abroad is that Halifax shuts up shop) :D

• Advertisement

If halifax actually does decide to close retail here, i imagine ulster bank will now get an influx of customers

If halifax actually does decide to close retail here, i imagine ulster bank will now get an influx of customers

In case of a bank ceasing to operate they may set up an agreement with another bank - customer accounts can be transferred seamlessly to the other "default" bank, obviously they can also take their account elsewhere if they prefer but if there's no preference it makes sense for the bank to make it quick and easy for its former customers and for the second bank to be "recommended" in this way. Heard about it happening in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

pug_ wrote: »
    Not everywhere will take visa, my wife has a visa debit card from halifax, and places like LIDL don't accept visa but will take laser meaning she has to have cash with her every time she shops

What other places have you found that have a card reader and won't take Visa? Lidl is the one annoyance I have come across. They are the same in Germany and only take a national debit card not an international one.

Very good points by Buffybot etc that Lidl will have to consider changing their stance if VISA debit took a larger share of the Irish consumer market. And I agree with Herya that some places still think that the visa debit is a credit card and won't offer you cashback. That would change too if and when there is an influx of new visa users that will help retail owners gain familiarity with the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I forgot to ask my wife yesterday, I'll try and remember this evening and let you know.

100gSoma wrote: »
    What other places have you found that have a card reader and won't take Visa? Lidl is the one annoyance I have come across. They are the same in Germany and only take a national debit card not an international one.

Lidl and aldi are the only two i can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Why on earth are ulster bank & halifax the only two to do visa debit in Ireland???? Is it in some way the other banks interestes to use the inferior laser???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I think the big banks jointly own Laser so thats probably why they're reluctant to part with it

Yup - Laser is jointly owned by AIB, Bank of Ireland, EBS, First Active, NIB, PTSB and Ulster

I suspect Ulster/First Active will dump their share of Laser Card Services on some of the others when the switchover is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Just one thing that I feel needs to be pointed out about debit cards (esp those who said they preferred them to Credit Cards). For online purchases, you have far more rights with a credit card, and it does offer great protection against fraud/disputes.

With a debit card you authorise the seller to take the money from your account immediately. With a credit card, you instruct the seller to bill your card provider. You, in turn, pay your credit card bill between 1 and 2 months later, by which time, if there were problems with the transaction, you can refuse payment to you credit card provider (who in turn, carries out a chargeback against the seller).

Even back when I had a Visa Debit Card, I never used it online.

Don't get me wrong, they're great, especially for kids who can't get credit cards. But if you have both, then the credit card is the safer way to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Just switched from them to halifax. They were a pain in the ass. I can't count how many problems i've had with them and halifax seemed to be doing ok so far so i'm happy to be free. Actually, they are still taking ages to close my account and switch it to halifax.

Advertisement