Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

wow. shocked about that to be honest. I thought the UB visa debit was an identical offer to Halifax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Got a link to the main Ulster Bank Visa debit card thread.

Yep: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635455

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

jayteecork wrote: »
    Is this a Visa thing or an Ulster bank thing?
    I have a Halifax Visa and I don't get these charges. Or at least they don't show them up on my statement. Prices seem to match roughly what XE gives me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I now have a UB Visa ServiceCard (4319 32) and a UB Visa Debit Card(4319 31). Didn't request the Debit Card, just received it in the post. It works with PayPal anyway, so I'm happy, haven't made any purchase online with it yet so don't know about the charges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 papazen

My new 4319 31 card won't work on amazon. Is this specific to amazon? I know they only except uk maestro cards, but it's looking like this extends to all non-uk debit cards. Has anyone had success with this card on amazon?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

My card gets refused everywhere. It's really luck of the draw whether or not it gets accepted somewhere or not.

Plus the Ulster Bank helpline number is useless. Last two times I rang it I got sent to about 4 different departments before I hung up.

Heap of crap card. I ordered something from cdwow that got refunded, but I still lose the initial charges of 25c+25c.
    So I get charged for nothing in essense.

Laser is a decent debit card but they have to push for more retailers to accept it.
    With amazon having a Dublin base and a Cork call centre you'd think they would have started accepting them by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I have a 4319 31 Series card & love it. Only site I have had a problem with is Amazon it works everywhere else I tried including:

ebay (paying seller fees)
    paypal
    myus.com
    moneybookers
    ebid
    walmart.com
    american eagle

so seems to be an issue with amazon and NOT Ulsterbank.

Just got an email back from amazon regarding not being able to use the UB Visa Debit card.
    We accept orders from many areas of the world, and you can pay by Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard, Eurocard, American Express, Delta and UK Based Maestro and Solo cards.

Please understand that currently we do not accept the Ulster Bank (Ireland) Visa debits cards as payment method.

Please note that debit cards from outside the UK are not currently accepted.

Does the HALIFAX Visa Debit Card work or is it true they don't accept any visa debit card (outside of UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Just got an email back from amazon regarding not being able to use the UB Visa Debit card.

Does the HALIFAX Visa Debit Card work or is it true they don't accept any visa debit card (outside of UK)

Yep. I use my Halifax Visa DEBIT to buy off amazon.co.uk all of the time, and purchased several xmas items in the past month using it on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.

On my payment methods page on amazon.co.uk my card type shows up as

Type: Visa/Delta/Electron
    Number: ***************
    Exp. Date: **/2011

Is it possible that the Halifax Visa Debit is treated as a card originating in the UK? And that Ulsterbank Debit cards are listed as originating in NI or something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I've used my card to buy off amazon.

What card do you have sofireland? UB or Halifax?

It's UB visa debit

Is it the 4319 31 or 4319 32 series card?

Also how did you enter it on amazon. I presume as a visa & did you put in a start date or anything like that?

It's the 4319 31 series, just entered it as a standard visa card with the exp and ccv code.

It was in october now when I last bought off them so it may have changed since

hmm strage. I don't havea field for CVV code?!

You are right, there is no ccv code, seemed to work fine last time for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

got my visa debit card(service card) and wont work with paypal..rang ulster bank and told them i wanted the proper debit card and they fobbed me off saying they will get onto paypal, bla bla bla, im getting really annoyed with it, might just go join halifax,seems to be accepted everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

I have a uMoney a/c with Ulster bank, I think. Set it up before I was 18 so I assume it is still a uMoney unless it was changed.

Can I get a visa debit with this a/c or do I need a current a/c ?
    Much difference moving to a current a/c anyway ?

Is there any charges with the Visa Debit card apart from stamp duty ?
    I can't find any reference to them on UB's website. Any charges for online shopping outside Euro currency apart from exchange rates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

I have a uMoney a/c with Ulster bank, I think. Set it up before I was 18 so I assume it is still a uMoney unless it was changed.

Can I get a visa debit with this a/c or do I need a current a/c ?
    Much difference moving to a current a/c anyway ?

Is there any charges with the Visa Debit card apart from stamp duty ?
    I can't find any reference to them on UB's website. Any charges for online shopping outside Euro currency apart from exchange rates ?

I asked my Q too quickly I think :)

Halifax charge 1.75% transaction fee for international non-euro transactions but no charge for euro payments.
    UB charge 1% transaction fee (This includes euro and non-euro transactions) + 1% foreign exchange fee.

Thing is, UB have a cap of 6 euro on either charge so this is good for big payments but Halifax appear to have the 1.75% uncapped.

So, Which is better :confused: Also, What is the foreign exchange fee actually ?? Is it a charge on all the amount after you have changed it or what ?

Also, Who's exchange rates are better usually, UB or Halifax ?

• Advertisement

UB charge 1% transaction fee (This includes euro and non-euro transactions) + 1% foreign exchange fee.

Thats not correct. UB Visa Debit Transactions are free for Euro Transaction coming from a Irish Based Merchant. They charge 1% for non euro transactions & a 1% for Non Euro Merchants.

If you are buying in sterling from Irish Based Merchant you get charged 1% ERTF (Min 25c)

If you are buying in euro from UK Based Merchant you get charged 1% fee (Min 25c)

If you are buying in sterling from a UK Based Merchant you get charged both. 1% ERTF (Min 25c) & 1% Fee (Min 25c)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

i have the UB 32 series service card, and i used it on amazon uk a few days ago, it appears to have worked, but items will not be posted until tomorrow.....
    Will post back if it worked.

Paypal will not accept it.

Had no issues in shops yet. Have not tried cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Amazon declined the card.
    I found another workaround for paypal, you can set up a payee on internet banking for paypal, they have an Irish sort code for bank of america, just click on top up your account for the details.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Everywhere seems to decline my UB debit card 'cept the poker sites(lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I tried to link my new debit card to paypal but it still won't work.:mad:

Must I register it to that secure banking thing first maybe? Thats the only thing that I haven't tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Animo wrote: »
    I tried to link my new debit card to paypal but it still won't work.:mad:

Must I register it to that secure banking thing first maybe? Thats the only thing that I haven't tried.

Nope, I've registered mine with Secure Banking and Payapal still won't accept it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I have one of these debit cards with the 31 series. It has worked until too weeks ago when its just started to get declined everywhere. It worked great with everything (even amazon) except paypal. Anybody had similar problems of it just getting declined all them time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Yeah mine doesnt work anywhere on the net, only with itunes, ive gave up and switched to halifax, they work everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Ya signed up for halifax last night, gutted that im gonna have to wait a week or so to get the damn thing in the post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Zainal

Mine doesn't work on iTunes or Paypal, but it works on Steam and GOG.com. Haven't tried Amazon.

Advertisement