Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

It's strange that so many people are having trouble with it. Mine is the 31 series and I have used it everywhere without problems. Doesn't work with amazon though but amazon say its because it they only accept UK Debit.

So far I have used it with:
    eBay (seller fees)
    Paypal
    Myus.com
    Walmart.com
    Maplin.co.uk
    Three
    eBid
    MoneyBookers
    Envelopes.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's strange that so many people are having trouble with it. Mine is the 31 series and I have used it everywhere without problems. Doesn't work with amazon though but amazon say its because it they only accept UK Debit.

So far I have used it with:
    eBay (seller fees)
    Paypal
    Myus.com
    Walmart.com
    Maplin.co.uk
    Three
    eBid
    MoneyBookers
    Envelopes.ie

The same with me. I have the 31 debitCard and it has never been declined, even on Paypal. I've never tried Amazon. But it has been accepted on every website I tried it on, except for vodafone.ie (but I went to the Talk To: Vodafone forum on boards and outlined this, and it was fixed by the next day). It has worked everywhere I've tried to use it for over-the-counter purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kelpbed

Hi All,

I just Read the T&C of the New UB Visa Debit cards. How boring am I !

It is a direct replacement for your Laser card and has no other functions than your old Laser card had.

1. Cheque Guarantee card (if applicable)
    2. Payment at shop Till
    3. Cash at ATM

I have used mine online but I had to select Laser card and then it worked.

So it does not appear to operate like the Visa Debit Card issued by Halifax (psuedo Credit Card).

Regards,

KB

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zainal

I don't know about anyone else here, but I have a Visa Debit ServiceCard and it definitly functions as a normal visa card, at least with certain buyers. My card is a 32 series ServiceCard.

Kelpbed wrote: »
    It is a direct replacement for your Laser card and has no other functions than your old Laser card had.

1. Cheque Guarantee card (if applicable)
    2. Payment at shop Till
    3. Case at ATM
    4. Payment online where they accept Visa

So it does not appear to operate like the Visa Debit Card issued by Halifax (psuedo Credit Card).

It is a replacement for the laser but it isn't a laser card. Is works everywhere (for me anyway!) that accepts visa online & offline.

I updated your list as you missed out on one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

According to yesterday's Irish Times Lidl have started accepting Visa Debit after Ulster Bank asked them to. They still do not accept credit cards.

However, according to the Irish Times, staff may think it is a credit card, despite information being put in the staff areas. The paper went on to say, if challenged, state that it is a debit card, like Laser, and not a credit card.

Has anyone used it in Lidl yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Yes, I have used my UB Visa Debit card in Lidl - accepted fine - advice to Visa Debit customers - just stick it in the PIN device - don't ask the staff as they will assume it is a Visa Credit card, which is NOT accepted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

They've been speaking about this issue on Today FM this morning. Basically said it was down to UB to sort out once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭lisij

strange, mine debit card works fine online, Paypal... even i took it to Paris this new year and checked out with it there, and no problems at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Hi

I been away in OZ for a few weeks visiting a few brothers and drinking a few scooners and catching a rip but I have been keeping tabs on wats been happening. After seeing the pile of messages about this I was a bit puzzled about why the Bank hasn't sorted this mess out yet and called my mate in Ulster Bank. Turns out they have finally sussed whats causing the problems and he says it shud all be sorted by the end of next week.

If its not he will get it in the neck from me.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

My Ulster Bank contact tells me the problems with their cards being declined on Paypal and Amazon are fixed. Don't know about other internet sites though. I haven't tried yet so lets see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

My Ulster Bank contact tells me the problems with their cards being declined on Paypal and Amazon are fixed. Don't know about other internet sites though. I haven't tried yet so lets see.....

Working for me now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Yeah me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Thanks Jebuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Hey.
    I seen that a few weeks ago the Ulster Banks Debit Card wouldnt work on PayPay and eBay. Does anyone know if this is fixed?
    My card starts with 431931

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From the last page of the Ulster Bank Visa debit thread, it would appear so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Thnaks I was looking for that tread but couldnt find it/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

does it work on amazon now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Got this from a Friend in UB.

This seems like an internal communication for UB Staff.

Acceptance
    We have no current issues with retailers accepting our Visa debit cards.

Cash Back
    The issue with Dunnes Stores not being able to offer cash back has now been resolved but there are cash back issues at some individual convenience stores within groups such as Londis, Spar and Centra, where either the terminal does not offer cashback or the member of staff is unaware that cash back is available. We continue to work closely with all parties to resolve these remaining issues quickly.

Please also be aware that the maximum cash back available is €100 and it is the retailers discretion as to how much they offer - this is exactly the same as cash back with Laser cards.

Other Feedback
    We've received some additional feedback from branches in the following areas;

Cheque guarantee: ServiceCards under the Visa Debit brand still offer Cheque Guarantee facility however the logo is now on the reverse of the card.
    PIN numbers: PINs stay the same as the card we are replacing. Customers with multiple cards should read their replacement letter carefully to identify which card is being replaced.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Typical bloody banks, claiming there are no issues. I was in SuperValue in Wicklow Town last Friday, and was offered cash back at the checkout, entered my PIN, and then their till started to beep - cashier and manager unable to resolve the issue, till drawer didn't open - they tried this twice, afterwhich I said, ignore the cashback, just process the payment. That worked ok

So, Ulster Bank, you have problems with Cashback in SuperValue, Wicklow Town. They use CBE epos systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Still no joy with iTunes unfortunately :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

searched for "atm" in this thread but it brought up nothing. do i get charged cash advance fees if i use this at an atm in roi or is it just treated like a regular atm card?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    searched for "atm" in this thread but it brought up nothing. do i get charged cash advance fees if i use this at an atm in roi or is it just treated like a regular atm card?

thanks

I think you will be charged the ulster back transaction fee, which seems to happen with every charge (25 cent) but no cash advance fee.

Halifax is the same, just works like a laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i finally got a chance to ring ub and they confirmed the same as what you've said davy, thanks

Davy wrote: »
    I think you will be charged the ulster back transaction fee, which seems to happen with every charge (25 cent) but no cash advance fee.

Halifax is the same, just works like a laser card.

There is no Ulster Bank transaction fee. You only get the 25cent charge if it is a foreign transaction (e.g. in £ online). For Irish websites, and Irish POS and ATMs etc, you don't get charged this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Permanent TSB are next to ditch Laser and adopt Visa Debit according to today's Sunday Business Post.

The Sunday Business Post also reports that a forth bank will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Slightly off topic but close !
    My better half got a bonus of a visa debit card with 200euro on it (issued by bonus bonds ) No card holder name on the card ,its a swipe card. Tesco say they don't take these.
    I thought these were accepted anywhere that took visa ?
    It says VISA DEBIT on the front,has a hologram also 16digit number there. Also has a magnetic strip on the back with a 7 digit code like a credit card .

Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its a gift card taken by any place listed here: http://www.bonusbond.ie/Spend/RetailerBrowser.aspx?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

not sure if it has been covered but I recently got one of these from Ulster bank when you use it how long does it take for the money to come out of your account is it done straight away????

Advertisement