Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Fungus wrote: »
    Permanent TSB are next to ditch Laser and adopt Visa Debit according to today's Sunday Business Post.

The Sunday Business Post also reports that a forth bank will follow suit.

any chance of a link or is there mention of when they will be getting rid of the laser cards? it took them over 2 years to switch to chip and pin if i recall as they were one of the last to get the chips in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Pretty annoyed myself with this card.I got it today and was looking forward to using it online but it doesn't work anywhere I've tried and doesn't work with Paypal specifically.Very dissapointed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

carbsy2 wrote: »
    Pretty annoyed myself with this card.I got it today and was looking forward to using it online but it doesn't work anywhere I've tried and doesn't work with Paypal specifically.Very dissapointed. :(

Thats strange, I thought all the problems had been sorted by now. I was having loads of trouble with mine but it got sorted recently and I just used mine to buy something off Ebay through Paypal.

Animo wrote: »
    Thats strange, I thought all the problems had been sorted by now. I was having loads of trouble with mine but it got sorted recently and I just used mine to buy something off Ebay through Paypal.

It just keeps saying card declined by your bank and I rang the bank and they told me that their were funds in my account and the card is activated and working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've successfully used my card in all these places:
    - www.dominos.ie
    - www.snapfish.ie
    - www.icb.ie
    - www.vodafone.ie
    - BOI ATM
    - PC World

It's not been refused anywhere.

• Advertisement

Strange... It worked on a site that accepts laser but not on any site that doesn't.I rang Ulster Bank again and they told me they need to issue me with a Visa Service Card? Strange...

Random wrote: »
    I've successfully used my card in all these places:
    - www.dominos.ie
    - www.snapfish.ie
    - www.icb.ie
    - www.vodafone.ie
    - BOI ATM
    - PC World

It's not been refused anywhere.

Interesting... the connection between those is that they accept laser so mine would work with them too.

I've just tried it on Paypal there to buy something off www.dealextreme.com (opting to not log into an account) and got this error

Your credit or debit card has been declined for this transaction; PayPal could not validate the card. Please verify that the information you entered is correct, or try a different credit or debit card.

Stupid feckin thing !

Random wrote: »
    I've just tried it on Paypal there to buy something off www.dealextreme.com (opting to not log into an account) and got this error

Your credit or debit card has been declined for this transaction; PayPal could not validate the card. Please verify that the information you entered is correct, or try a different credit or debit card.

Stupid feckin thing !

Yeah, that's the error Random! :(

When I try to add it within my Paypal account itself I get this error

We were unable to verify the billing address for this credit card. Please enter the address where you receive billing statements for this credit card below. Please refer to the automatic email we have sent to assist you.

And there was me thinking I was one of the lucky ones ... dam you! You burst my bubble :(

• Advertisement

Just got the following error when I tried to add the card to my paypal account:
    Add Credit or Debit Card

This credit card has been denied by the bank that issued your credit card. For details on why your card was denied, please contact your credit card issuer's customer service department. Or, you may want to try adding a different credit card.

Debit Cards (also called check cards, ATM cards, or banking cards) are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo. Enter your card number without spaces or dashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Any one know if it works with hmv.com? (before i sign up for an account)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's really strange! Mine has worked everywher I have tried it (dealextreme, paypal, ebay, vodafone.ie, itunes, drivingtest.ie, amazon.co.uk, fragrancex.com etc.)

It also works in everywhere POI place that I have tried (although I yet to try Lidl, but apparently they accept Visa Debit now)

That's really strange! Mine has worked everywher I have tried it (dealextreme, paypal, ebay, vodafone.ie, itunes, drivingtest.ie, amazon.co.uk, fragrancex.com etc.)

Same here, made a load of payments with PayPal. Maybe it's one of the Service Cards and they haven't completely worked out all the flaws yet?

By the way did anyone else get the World Cup competition flyer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Same here, made a load of payments with PayPal. Maybe it's one of the Service Cards and they haven't completely worked out all the flaws yet?

By the way did anyone else get the World Cup competition flyer?

Yes I got that flyer as well! You're more likely to win if you use your card abroad (I think!) but you are still in with a chance to win if you use it in Ireland, or online for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Yes I got that flyer as well! You're more likely to win if you use your card abroad (I think!) but you are still in with a chance to win if you use it in Ireland, or online for that matter.

You get one chance to win if you buy something with your card in Ireland or on the internet but if you buy something say in the North or England you get two chances. Getting cash at an ATM doesn't count.

A Trip to the World Cup would have been better if Ireland were going.

Mine works on www.just-eat.ie too which appear to only accept VISA / Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I'm delighted to hear that the Ulster Bank VISA card does now work with paypal/ebay etc... It looks like I'll be switching from the Halifax VISA now. :(
    Is there any other major differences between the UB/Halifax offerings for the current account VISA debit card? I'm just so used to the card and hope switching to the UB VISA won't change my card usage habits at all. Any extra charges for cash etc? does anyone have the link that compares current accounts?

Bought something on eBay and paid with PayPal. The PayPal invoice was for £33.98 sterling. There were two charges levied by UB. A 37c charge and something else called "ERTF" which was also 37c. I know it's only 74c but it's annoying. I doubt I'll be using the card to make very small payments.

edit:: Apparantly ERTF is "Exchange Rate Transaction Fee"

ok, this TOTALLY sucks. I will be forced to switch because of the upcoming demise of the Halifax VISA and was hoping the UB offer would be the same. yes its only 74cent per 34pound purchase, but its a charge that was totally absent from Halifax. no fee for the e4xchange rate, and no fee for the purchase. I guess we had it TOO good.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

So basically I cant download songs on play.com as I have with Halifax as UB charge me 70cent for the privledge? Their website is as clear as muck re charges.

• Advertisement

I checked the booklet that came with the debit card. Under the section "using the card abroad" for purchases it says there will be a charge of 1% of the transaction fee with a minimum of 0.25c and a maximum of €6. It nearly says the same thing written again underneath except this time using purchase fee instead of transaction.

So basically you'll probably get hit with two 25c charges for anything under a tenner. Regarding songs on Play.com if you keep the currency in euro you should avoid one of the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bit of a joke imo

Davy wrote: »
    Bit of a joke imo

You're right. That's why I keep a few bob in my Wirecard account for really small purchases around €5. For anything else I don't mind using the UB card and paying the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Here's hoping AIB or BOI roll out a new visa debit card soon because i will not be switching back to UB and their tedious fees. Bye bye halifax:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Here's hoping AIB or BOI roll out a new visa debit card soon because i will not be switching back to UB and their tedious fees. Bye bye halifax:(

Dont see either of them dropping laser tbh in the near future.

PTSB are launching visa debit though, so they may benefit from the halifax customer base if they launch it before may

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

I checked the booklet that came with the debit card. Under the section "using the card abroad" for purchases it says there will be a charge of 1% of the transaction fee with a minimum of 0.25c and a maximum of €6. It has nearly says the same thing written again underneath except this time using purchase fee instead of transaction.

So basically you'll probably get hit with two 25c charges for anything under a tenner. Regarding songs on Play.com if you keep the currency in euro you should avoid one of the charges.

Madalynn Inexpensive Guava

You are spot on - pay in euro on the internet and its for free but if you can't pay in euros - what about buying sterling, dollars or whatever at a money exchange stick it in an envelope, buy a postage stamp at whatever cost and post it and wait..........

Technology isn't free and neither is convenience.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Davy wrote: »
    Dont see either of them dropping laser tbh in the near future.

PTSB are launching visa debit though, so they may benefit from the halifax customer base if they launch it before may

Any Idea when? If they charge less then UB, im with them!! I make a lot of small purchases in UK with Halifax and wont be able to now. :(

I asked my Q too quickly I think :)

Halifax charge 1.75% transaction fee for international non-euro transactions but no charge for euro payments.
    UB charge 1% transaction fee (This includes euro and non-euro transactions) + 1% foreign exchange fee.

Thing is, UB have a cap of 6 euro on either charge so this is good for big payments but Halifax appear to have the 1.75% uncapped.

So, Which is better :confused: Also, What is the foreign exchange fee actually ?? Is it a charge on all the amount after you have changed it or what ?

Also, Who's exchange rates are better usually, UB or Halifax ?

Ok, so I think I have this figured out now.
    Halifax are MEANT to charge 1.75% on foreign currency POS charges (incl. the internet) according to their debit card terms. However, I have NEVER seen this when I buy in dollars from ebay or from amazon.com etc. Maybe a glitch prevented Halifax from actually charging people for USD or GBP web transacitons. I only ever had the exchange rate calculated and the subsequent euro amount taken out. NO EXTRAs at all. hmm... strange.

I think PTSB need to take advanatge of this Halifax situation and announce details of their forth coming VISA card ASAP, otherwise people may sign up for UB or someone else. I'd rather see what PTSB have to offer than UB. although more than likley they will have charges for UK and USA web transations. I'm really starting to think it was a glitch in the Halifax system that treated these web transactions with no fees and just applied the curent exchange rate. Damn they were such a awesome bank. Tears in me eyes here. :rolleyes:

100gSoma wrote: »
    Ok, so I think I have this figured out now.
    Halifax are MEANT to charge 1.75% on foreign currency POS charges (incl. the internet) according to their debit card terms. However, I have NEVER seen this when I buy in dollars from ebay or from amazon.com etc. Maybe a glitch prevented Halifax from actually charging people for USD or GBP web transacitons. I only ever had the exchange rate calculated and the subsequent euro amount taken out. NO EXTRAs at all. hmm... strange.

I think PTSB need to take advanatge of this Halifax situation and announce details of their forth coming VISA card ASAP, otherwise people may sign up for UB or someone else. I'd rather see what PTSB have to offer than UB. although more than likley they will have charges for UK and USA web transations. I'm really starting to think it was a glitch in the Halifax system that treated these web transactions with no fees and just applied the curent exchange rate. Damn they were such a awesome bank. Tears in me eyes here. :rolleyes:

I had the Halifax Debit too and thought I wasn't paying any transaction fees. I posted on askaboutmoney about it and was told that I was paying the fees but that they weren't showing it clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The fees were there in the Halifax rate, just not seperated from the transaction. They have to be now (this is why UB are showing them..obviously Halifax weren't too bothered about making the same change).

The big difference is that UB has a minimum (25c) where Halifax didn't. It's a shame (and a pain for small transactions!)

Advertisement