Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The fees were there in the Halifax rate, just not seperated from the transaction. They have to be now (this is why UB are showing them..obviously Halifax weren't too bothered about making the same change).

The big difference is that UB has a minimum (25c) where Halifax didn't. It's a shame (and a pain for small transactions!)

Ok, well if thats the case they must have been adjusting the "exchange rate" to include the extra fees. because the exchange rate divided by the USD charge gives the exact euro amount taken from my account. The exchange rate normally mirrored the XE.com exchange rate very closely, but perhaps the Halifax applied exchange rate was adjusted by + or - 1.75% etc to include the fees. seems an awkward way to do it though. hide it in the listed exchange rate. Anyway, if that is indeed the case, thats great news right? It means UB is a good option then with the capped fees of maximum of 12euro in total per transaction.
    No word on PTSB and I think I'd like to setup the UB account in the meantime to try out the card. If its no good I can open a different account in May then when I am forced to. Strange how the user experiences of the UB card seem very mixed. some had no issues, some have many issues. Did anyone get iTunes working with the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

UB Visa Debits work with Itunes now. Got mine set up. I haven't had any problems with the card at all.

UB Visa Debits work with Itunes now. Got mine set up. I haven't had any problems with the card at all.

all sounds very positive for UB Visa card now.

I did some checking on my Halifax USD transactions.
    A transaction last week used an echnage rate of 1.369 and the rate today is 1.379 so perhaps the Halifax fees for dollar internet purchases was actually 'hidden' in the exchange rate. It explains everything if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Got refused on www.paddypower.ie also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It works in Marks & Spencers too.

Not sure if these updates are useful to anyone but anyway :)

• Advertisement

I think these updates are useful. 50,000 current account holders with Halifax will be looking for new options now so every bit of info is no doubt useful :)
    So it still seems like the VISA debit by ulsterbank is not 100% accepted for some reason. I can't see why Paddypower would refuse a VISA card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

pug_ wrote: »
    Provided they use both Laser and Visa then I don't mind, but if they ditch laser altogether it could be a right pita. Not everywhere will take visa, my wife has a visa debit card from halifax, and places like LIDL don't accept visa but will take laser meaning she has to have cash with her every time she shops, there are other places too she's mentioned that only take laser but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Both LIDL and Aldi accept the Visa Debit card from the Halifax.
    So they should accept the one from Ulster Bank hopefully.
    Funny, Halifax having Irelands only Visa debit, now they're pulling out all of a sudden another bank affiliated with RBS decides to offer this.
    Maybe a hint as to where we should be moving...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

there's only one bank affiliated with RBS here.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    there's only one bank affiliated with RBS here.

I thought both Ulster and Halifax where part of RBS?

yep. Halifax are affiliated with Bank of Scotland plc.
    Ulster bank is affiliated with Royal Bank of Scotland Group. Two different parent banks.

• Advertisement

100gSoma wrote: »
    yep. Halifax are affiliated with Bank of Scotland plc.
    Ulster bank is affiliated with Royal Bank of Scotland Group. Two different parent banks.

My bad, it's all Scottish to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 keary79

my understanding is that once may 2010 you will not be able to use halifax credit cards
    also bank of scotland is for business banking
    halifax was retail for every day customers doing day to day banking

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Sorry im not at all well up on banking matters. Few questions. I have two cards to my name ulster bank visa card and an ulster bank cirrus cash card. And today in the post i recieved a new visa debit card and a letter telling me that it replaces my laser card (which i never had)?

ring them up. I'm pretty sure it replaces your cirrus cash card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Has anyone tried using these cards in Aldi yet? Are they accepting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Has anyone tried using these cards in Aldi yet? Are they accepting them?

Yes. Aldi have upgraded their till to accept them. Some of their cashiers might not know so don't ask just put your card in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tvquest

I received my Visa Debit card from Ulster bank during the week, was worried about Aldi too, tried it this evening...and in a big long queue...it DIDNT work :(

Luckily I had some cash & I had tried it with a small few things than my big shop!

It just stuck at "authorising" but never did :( Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

tvquest wrote: »
    I received my Visa Debit card from Ulster bank during the week, was worried about Aldi too, tried it this evening...and in a big long queue...it DIDNT work :(

Luckily I had some cash & I had tried it with a small few things than my big shop!

It just stuck at "authorising" but never did :( Not good

Have you used the card at an atm yet? Sometimes, it will not work unless you activate it by doing that at an UB atm machine. Had the same problem with my halifax card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tvquest

Hi

I've used it in 2 other shops & a BOI atm & it worked fine, would this count?

Not sure if anyone posted this but the card works with amazon now! YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Im going to be getting one shortly due to Halifax going. One of my friends has had his declined on random occasions. How on earth did such a big company launch this and it still has problems????? They would want to sort it out us Halifax customers have high standards. :)

If I use it on play/zavvi but pay in Euros will i still get charged a fee as the sites aint Irish?

You would pay the international fee of 1% min 25c max €6 but would not pay the foreign exchange fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

You would pay the international fee of 1% min 25c max €6 but would not pay the foreign exchange fee.

Thanks, that will be the end of me downloading from play so 25c is a bit expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Has anybody managed to use the new Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card with lotto.ie ?

Yesterday I could not use the card and I'm now running arround between AnPost and Ulster to find out why with both blaming each other.

My Halifax card worked fine with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

almalahide wrote: »
    Im going to be getting one shortly due to Halifax going. One of my friends has had his declined on random occasions. How on earth did such a big company launch this and it still has problems????? They would want to sort it out us Halifax customers have high standards. :)

If I use it on play/zavvi but pay in Euros will i still get charged a fee as the sites aint Irish?

I think there were problems to start with companies not upgrading their kit in their shops and at internet sites but my mate in UB says these are mostly fixed and if they hear of any that aren't, they get on to the shops right away. If you pay in euros you shouldn't charged. Something to do with eurozone I think. When you get ur card, you could try it and let all of us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I just used mine to buy stuff off Ebay using Paypal.

I think I remember Paypal refusing the card a month or two ago.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

sweet. mine is in the post now. I don't think there is anywhere that has not been resolved now? Paddy Power maybe? iTunes, paypal, amazon etc all seem good to go now. Has anyone used the card for Point of sale transactions in the USA? or other non EURO zone countries (apart from UK), Estonia etc?

I use mine with paddy power regularly.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DJLJ

I had 2 x debit cards and a lasercard on my account. Laser card and debit card for me, debit card for my wife. I got the letter from the bank with this new Visa Debit card attached, saying this was a replacement for my laser card and that we should start using it soon, because the other card would expire. So as a good citizen, I destroyed the laser card. Fast forward about 3 weeks and I go to the ATM to try and use my debit card and that is not accepting my pin code. Then I try my new Visa Debit card and use the old laser card pin code, as the letter say and also doesn't work. Doesn't work either with my closed debit card pin code. Spent an hour this morning at the bank to get told it will take 5 working days to get a new pin code. So for the next 5 days I will have no access to my account, unless I go to the bank, because of a visa debit card, which I didn't apply for in the first place. Not a happy camper is putting it very mildly regarding this disaster of getting a new card.

And to top it off, when I came home, a letter from Ulster Bank saying that I should recently have received a Visa debit card as replacement for my Laser Card. No mention again of the debit card they closed.

• Advertisement

I think the letter says that you should confirm that your new card is working before you destroy your old card.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement