Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DJLJ

Well if didn't say anything about them closing the debit card aswell, that is for sure.

I had an ATM card and went in to order the Visa Debit last November. Then at the start of January got charged €7.50 government duty. Apparently I got charged for the ATM card because I never cancelled it. Now I thought it was kind of obvious I wanted the old card cancelled when I was getting a new one. Only €2.50 but it might help someone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

I had an ATM card and went in to order the Visa Debit last November. Then at the start of January got charged €7.50 government duty. Apparently I got charged for the ATM card because I never cancelled it. Now I thought it was kind of obvious I wanted the old card cancelled when I was getting a new one. Only €2.50 but it might help someone.....

That happened me with Halifax and I got it refunded, UB should do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It also works in the Paris Metro .. until you run out of money in your account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Mine worked with iTunes for the first time last night.

Happy days.

• Advertisement

almalahide wrote: »
    That happened me with Halifax and I got it refunded, UB should do the same.
    Really? The person I asked about it basically said it was my fault. How did you go about getting the refund?

Really? The person I asked about it basically said it was my fault. How did you go about getting the refund?

Yep, I somehow was using two debit cards for a while, I lost one didnt cancel it as i knew it was somewhere found it used both then. Got charged 10Euro as two cards were active but the Girl in Halifax just said she would cancel the old one and got me a refund there and then. That was only 3 weeks ago. I would tell Ulster Bank that the debit card they sent you should have replaced the Laser and made it inactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I just tried to use my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card to book some flights with Aer Lingus (online) but my card wasn't accepted.

I'm getting utterly sick and tired of Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

All of a sudden, mine now works with paypal! Delighted. :) I haven't tried anywhere else though yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why has their been so many problems with this card. Halifax's card is the same and never caused any trouble, so does this point to ulster bank being incompetent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I just tried to use my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card to book some flights with Aer Lingus (online) but my card wasn't accepted.

I'm getting utterly sick and tired of Ulster Bank.

Were you trying to use it under the Visa Electron option, or the Visa Credit Card option? If you chose Electron, it may not work (even though the Halifax one did) as it's technically not an Electron card.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

i did use my card in morocco egypt fine no a problem, the only think is if you tack cash they well charge you €6 extra

rabii wrote: »
    i did use my card in morocco egypt fine no a problem, the only think is if you tack cash they well charge you €6 extra

How much did you take out to be charged 6euro? Seems a lot

almalahide wrote: »
    Yep, I somehow was using two debit cards for a while, I lost one didnt cancel it as i knew it was somewhere found it used both then. Got charged 10Euro as two cards were active but the Girl in Halifax just said she would cancel the old one and got me a refund there and then. That was only 3 weeks ago. I would tell Ulster Bank that the debit card they sent you should have replaced the Laser and made it inactive.

Nope went in about it last week and was told it was my fault. It was up to me to tell them to cancel my ATM card. I thought they'd do this automatically when I ordered the debit card. Perhaps the distinguishing factor between your case and mine is that you had two debit cards whereas I only had one and a bog standard atm card in use. Only €2.50 though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

How much did you take out to be charged 6euro? Seems a lot

€200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

rabii wrote: »

That was most likely the Moroccan and Egyptian banks that charged you the €6 and not Ulster bank.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Nope went in about it last week and was told it was my fault. It was up to me to tell them to cancel my ATM card. I thought they'd do this automatically when I ordered the debit card. Perhaps the distinguishing factor between your case and mine is that you had two debit cards whereas I only had one and a bog standard atm card in use. Only €2.50 though :)

As far as I know it is automatically cancelled as soon as you make a successful transaction with your new card. Thats what happened with mine anyway.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

kenon wrote: »
    That was most likely the Moroccan and Egyptian banks that charged you the €6 and not Ulster bank.

As far as I know UB charge 2% MIN €3 for using the VISA Debit card at an atm abroad & a 1.5% Foreign exchange fee. (which must have a minimum of €3 too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

Got my new Ulster Bank Visa card activated yesterday and so far iTunes , Paypal and Play.com have all accepted it.
    Used it in Tesco no problem aswell.
    So far so good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Have had the Ulster Bank Visa Debit card since the first week that it launched, and it's going great so far!

However I do have one question? Do we have the same security when buying online as we do if using a credit card? For example, if I was to pay for something online with a credit card and it never arrived, I could get a chargeback on the credit card. Could I do the same with the Visa Debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you can do chargebacks with Visa Debit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

However I do have one question? Do we have the same security when buying online as we do if using a credit card? For example, if I was to pay for something online with a credit card and it never arrived, I could get a chargeback on the credit card. Could I do the same with the Visa Debit card?

Was reading this on their site the other day:
    Purchase Protection

When using your Visa Debit card to pay for goods/services and they fail to arrive or are damaged when you receive them, we may be able to help you to recover the payment. This protection includes purchases made from companies that have gone into administration and purchases made using the internet, where the goods or services have not been received.

You must contact the retailer or service provider first to try to resolve the problem. If this proves unsuccessful, please contact us on 0044 845 3660391.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

Hi all,
    I was able to use my visa debit card to reserve seats with Irish Rail.
    However when I tried to have them printed by swiping my card through their machines it was unable to read it several times.
    Can anyone explain this? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Finally got through this thread. Pretty disappointing the amount of hassle that has been involved with this card.

Got my new card a couple of weeks ago. I have a Mastercard credit card anyway and form reading the above posts, I'll be holding onto it.

I've only used the card at various petrol stations and shops. Only issue I had was not being able to get cash back in Supervalu.

Aldi and Lidl though would be where I'd use the card every now and again so any updates on whether they accept them now?

Edit: I know someone said they work now, but another post after said they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Finally got through this thread. Pretty disappointing the amount of hassle that has been involved with this card.

Got my new card a couple of weeks ago. I have a Mastercard credit card anyway and form reading the above posts, I'll be holding onto it.

I've only used the card at various petrol stations and shops. Only issue I had was not being able to get cash back in Supervalu.

Aldi and Lidl though would be where I'd use the card every now and again so any updates on whether they accept them now?

Edit: I know someone said they work now, but another post after said they don't.

I've used my card at both Aldi and Lidl so I know they accept them. I don't ask the cashier I just stick my card into the chip and pin thingy and it works, well it does when I have money in my account.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Both Aldi and Lidl originally had acceptance issues, but these have been resolved. If you have any hassle in an Aldi or Lidl, it is a staff training issue as opposed to an acceptance issue. Apparently.

Just stick it in and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Finally got through this thread myself. Will be making the switch from BoI to UB in the next couple of weeks, the Visa Debit card being a major factor in my decision. Good to hear a lot of the early teething problems have been ironed out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finally got through this thread myself. Will be making the switch from BoI to UB in the next couple of weeks, the Visa Debit card being a major factor in my decision. Good to hear a lot of the early teething problems have been ironed out!
    Likewise, I sent off forms for a UB account last week. Changing from BoI! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Likewise, I sent off forms for a UB account last week. Changing from BoI! :cool:

Yeah, screw BoI!!!

I'd go through the dedicated switching team except that my sole standing order is paid weekly rather than monthly, and I'm worried a payment might not be made if the process takes longer than a week. Still, won't be a problem setting up the UB account first.

An added bonus is that my local UB branch is right beside the credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Yeah, screw BoI!!!

I'd go through the dedicated switching team except that my sole standing order is paid weekly rather than monthly, and I'm worried a payment might not be made if the process takes longer than a week. Still, won't be a problem setting up the UB account first.

An added bonus is that my local UB branch is right beside the credit union.

If you only have one SO there is little benefit in using the switching process, especially if it's a weekly one. I would almost guarantee you'd miss one payment. Open the new account, wait for your card/pin and when you're happy it's good to go set up the new SO yourself.

Advertisement