Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

If you only have one SO there is little benefit in using the switching process, especially if it's a weekly one. I would almost guarantee you'd miss one payment. Open the new account, wait for your card/pin and when you're happy it's good to go set up the new SO yourself.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have a Halifax Visa Debit card and also Ulster Bank Maestro Laser card, just wondering as their the same group could I continue to use my Halifax Visa Debit card but my card details would be switched to my UB a/c.

Somehow I guess not:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I have a Halifax Visa Debit card and also Ulster Bank Maestro Laser card, just wondering as their the same group could I continue to use my Halifax Visa Debit card but my card details would be switched to my UB a/c.

Somehow I guess not:(

I refer to post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64417216&postcount=375

I made the same mistake, not the same at all. So no, can't keep card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 RawShark

I got my Visa Debit Card from Ulster Bank today with instructions to use it in place of my ATM card, like some of you probably did too.

Great, I thought, and went to add it as my primary card in Paypal - from now on if I don't have the cash I can't but the item online (which is good as my CC bill is really big!)

However, one small problem I got the standard "To make sure the card is yours, we made a small charge to it that you'll need to confirm (and we'll refund the money to your PayPal account when you're done). The charge creates a unique 4-digit code on your card statement" email from Paypal, but when I login to my Anytime Banking account, the charge shows up as

8 Mar 2010 - Debit Card Transaction - €1.50

No 4 digit code or any other details. Anyone know what happens now? I really want to use this card as my primary, but gather I cannot until I confirm it.

Any advice appreciated :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

RawShark Check your internet banking on Thursday/Friday and the transaction will be updated with the Paypal Code.

• Advertisement

RawShark Check your internet banking on Thursday/Friday and the transaction will be updated with the Paypal Code.
    Did you select the "view full statement" option? It shows more details on each transaction. The 4 digit code should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Both Aldi and Lidl originally had acceptance issues, but these have been resolved. If you have any hassle in an Aldi or Lidl, it is a staff training issue as opposed to an acceptance issue. Apparently.

Just stick it in and it works fine.

My local Lidl now has updated signage on the door: Maestro, Laser and Visa Debit are all listed as being accepted. Visa Debit worked without a problem when paying for goods.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This is cool.

I've discovered I can fund my UB account from my AIB online account at the click of a button so now I have no problem getting funds into my Visa debit.

So bare that in mind guys. If you've been with AIB/BOI for life and feel you owe them loyalty well you can still open a UB accoutn to get the Visa debit and fund your account direct from your computer.
    All account details are saved the first time you do it so it's just a couple of clicks when you need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Is the transfer instant?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Is the transfer instant?

No.
    Less than a working day though.
    So weekends you won't get it till Monday.

• Advertisement

Did you select the "view full statement" option? It shows more details on each transaction. The 4 digit code should be there.
    Yes, oddly it has even LESS details. It is blank! I'll wait until end of week to see if it updates. After that, I'll phone the helpdesk monkeys...hopefully they'll know. I'll be sure to report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

RawShark wrote: »
    Yes, oddly it has even LESS details. It is blank! I'll wait until end of week to see if it updates. After that, I'll phone the helpdesk monkeys...hopefully they'll know. I'll be sure to report back.

The transaction is still technically pending. The money has been put aside for Paypal but not fully processed, which is why there are no details. It can be up to 7 working days for it to process, but it usually takes less than 3. When it does go through, the transaction will show "Paypal ****" :)

The transaction is still technically pending. The money has been put aside for Paypal but not fully processed, which is why there are no details. It can be up to 7 working days for it to process, but it usually takes less than 3. When it does go through, the transaction will show "Paypal ****" :)

That's great, thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Re UB Visa Debit problems with getting Cashback in SuperValu.

I spoke with UB card services and they are aware of this, and said this should be rectified shortly.

I had a small issue booking flights online with Aer Lingus - VISA Debit does not appear as a card type on the card list - you must select Visa Electron, and then enter your card details - transaction will go through fine.

At this stage, my only gripe is with Cashback on the UB Visa Debit card - it's not been offered by retailers or by payment terminals. Also, most shop assistants take one look at the card and say "VISA" - we all need to remind them that it is not VISA, but VISA Debit, and that Cashback SHOULD be available as an option, (provided, that is, the retailer offers Cashback). Not all of them do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Random wrote: »
    When I try to add it within my Paypal account itself I get this error

We were unable to verify the billing address for this credit card. Please enter the address where you receive billing statements for this credit card below. Please refer to the automatic email we have sent to assist you.

And there was me thinking I was one of the lucky ones ... dam you! You burst my bubble :(
    Mine now works with Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mine now works with Paypal.

Anything its not working for?

Im still using my halifax one, dont really want to switch :(

The Paypal transaction of 1.50EUR for card verification showed up pretty much immediatly as "POS" and "Debit card transaction" which I really like, even if it does take a few days for it to update the full description.

I also used it to buy this in the Bargain Alerts forum without issue: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055834588

Nothing springs to mind for where it's been declined that I haven't posted about here .. will keep people updated. I'm still trying to adjust to using the Visa Debit rather than my Visa Credit .. it'll take time!

Got refused on www.paddypower.ie also.
    It's working now when added as "Visa" and NOT "Visa Electron".

Davy wrote: »
    Anything its not working for?

Im still using my halifax one, dont really want to switch :(

Some people are still having difficulty in the post office trying to pay bills. That's the only acceptance issue remaining as far as I know.

When I get my UB Visa Debit card my UB Service Card (Laser) will be no more. I still need a Laser Card, where do I get one AIB/BOI ? and is the Laser scheme being slowly phased out.

• Advertisement

When I get my UB Visa Debit card my UB Service Card (Laser) will be no more. I still need a Laser Card, where do I get one AIB/BOI ? and is the Laser scheme being slowly phased out.

Yes, in time Laser will be gone. Not for a good while yet though. May I ask why you need the Laser?

Yes, in time Laser will be gone. Not for a good while yet though. May I ask why you need the Laser?

Well I pay my ESB/Broadband/Car Tax and Car Insurance by Laser and Aldi still only accept Cash or Laser.

Every time I ask EBS if they do Laser they say No, but....here's the list.

Laser.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont think ebs do laser. They have a 'Yes' atm card that can only be used in AIB machines iirc, with no laser option on it. This was the case in anycase, unless its since changed

Davy wrote: »
    I dont think ebs do laser. They have a 'Yes' atm card that can only be used in AIB machines iirc, with no laser option on it. This was the case in anycase, unless its since changed

your right there as I have their yes card, would have been handy if they did the Laser as I have an a/c there. Looks like I might have to open boi/aib a/c just for a Laser card:(

Well I pay my ESB/Broadband/Car Tax and Car Insurance by Laser and Aldi still only accept Cash or Laser.

Every time I ask EBS if they do Laser they say No, but....here's the list.

Laser.jpg
    Aldi accept Visa Debit. I used mine there 2 days ago. MY car tax I paid for 2 weeks ago using it. I can't speak from my own experience, but I'll eat my hat if your insurance, broadband and ESB don't accept it. If they say they don't take Visa, assure them it's a debitcard.

If (big if at this stage) they don't currently accept it, they will very soon.

Aldi accept Visa Debit. I used mine there 2 days ago. MY car tax I paid for 2 weeks ago using it. I can't speak from my own experience, but I'll eat my hat if your insurance, broadband and ESB don't accept it. If they say they don't take Visa, assure them it's a debitcard.

ESB only just introduced Laser not long ago, but no Visa but there are other options allright. I thought Aldi were gearing up to introduce Visa after getting new terminals in but I was just reading the small print this evening on their latest catalogue and it says Cash or Laser, cant see anything on their web site either.

I'll probably stick with just the Visa Debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

ESB take Visa Debit cards but I think they haven't updated their website yet. When I tried to pay my bill in January using my ulsterbank visa debit card, the lady on the phone told me they didn't take visa cards. I complained to a manager and was told I could use it - apparently the customer service team were a little confused. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The biggest problem at the moment is that even when all the little problems have been sorted, you still won't be able to hire a car with it.
    Avis in the UK might accept Visa debit, but no other car hire company anywhere will.
    The problem is that they want a credit card in case of theft or damage to the vehicle.
    So now I ordered a credit card (which costs me stamp duty, grrr) for the sole purpose of using it once or twice a year to hire a car with.
    And forget pre paid credit card vouchers.
    If you want to hire a car it's a full blown, proper credit card, or take the bus mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The biggest problem at the moment is that even when all the little problems have been sorted, you still won't be able to hire a car with it.

Not nessecarily true, but that's beside the point. It is a debit card, not a credit card replacement, so obviously it will have some limitations. Just because it says Visa, it doesn't mean it's identical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Avis in the UK might accept Visa debit, but no other car hire company anywhere will.
    The problem is that they want a credit card in case of theft or damage to the vehicle.
    So now I ordered a credit card (which costs me stamp duty, grrr) for the sole purpose of using it once or twice a year to hire a car with.
    And forget pre paid credit card vouchers.
    If you want to hire a car it's a full blown, proper credit card, or take the bus mate.
    Kinda stating the obvious there man.

Advertisement