Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I rented a car from Eurocar in Sardinia for a week in August last year. Used my Halifax VISA debit without any issue. The online deposit form asked for a card details and I just chose VISA and it was fine. when I got to the airport I just used the same card to pay the 90% balance. no issue at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

100gSoma wrote: »
    I rented a car from Eurocar in Sardinia for a week in August last year. Used my Halifax VISA debit without any issue. The online deposit form asked for a card details and I just chose VISA and it was fine. when I got to the airport I just used the same card to pay the 90% balance. no issue at all.

The world is catching on, good to know. Won't shred my credit card yet, but maybe there'll be no need for them in the future. Let's hope, credit cards are evil!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Enquired at Aldi (Ferrybank) branch if they accept Visa and indeed they do, though Aldi have done nothing to publicise this yet. Maybe some branches have still to get the new terminals installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Anyone know If there are Limits with the UB visa debit? I want to make a purchase which is about €1700. I know my ATM limit is about €200 per day but I don't recall being told of any other limits so just want to confirm!

Anyone know If there are Limits with the UB visa debit? I want to make a purchase which is about €1700. I know my ATM limit is about €200 per day but I don't recall being told of any other limits so just want to confirm!

Not sure with UB, but I used my Halifax Visa Debit to buy insurance over the phone for 800euro approx so they are not tied to the daily ATM limits anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Depends on the shop for the most part, nothing to do with your ATM limit though. If the purchase won't go through for 1700, it will certainly go through if you do two transactions of 850 each.

I've used it for a transaction for 1300 without a problem.

Also, your ATM daily limit could be one of three things - 375 if you're under 18, 500 or 750 depending on whether it's a standard debit card or a service card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

The biggest problem at the moment is that even when all the little problems have been sorted, you still won't be able to hire a car with it.
    Avis in the UK might accept Visa debit, but no other car hire company anywhere will.
    The problem is that they want a credit card in case of theft or damage to the vehicle.
    So now I ordered a credit card (which costs me stamp duty, grrr) for the sole purpose of using it once or twice a year to hire a car with.
    And forget pre paid credit card vouchers.
    If you want to hire a car it's a full blown, proper credit card, or take the bus mate.

This is totally not true!
    I hired car in few countries with my visa debit from halifax (Hertz in uk , sixt in Germany, dollar in malta , budget in us and some small rent-a-car (can't remember name) in poland. It always worked without any problem, and no one had anything against that.

jaceq wrote: »
    This is totally not true!
    I hired car in few countries with my visa debit from halifax (Hertz in uk , sixt in Germany, dollar in malta , budget in us and some small rent-a-car (can't remember name) in poland. It always worked without any problem, and no one had anything against that.

If that's the case I'll be very happy. Looks like car rental companies are catching on.
    I just remember from last year when one company (not sure, could have been Avis) printed on their website "Visa debit cards NOT accepted".
    If they'll take my debit, happy days, but I got the credit just to be safe.
    Also (related to some other posts), just registered the Visa Debit with PayPal, zero problem.

If that's the case I'll be very happy. Looks like car rental companies are catching on.
    I just remember from last year when one company (not sure, could have been Avis) printed on their website "Visa debit cards NOT accepted".
    If they'll take my debit, happy days, but I got the credit just to be safe.
    Also (related to some other posts), just registered the Visa Debit with PayPal, zero problem.

I've been using my Visa debit with PayPal for about 2 years now, no problems at all (with payment and refunds).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hi All!

I'm just starting to receive my new bank account info from Ulster Bank.

On the letter they sent they give my my account number etc, next to ''Card type'' it says ''service card''. Is this just a generic card? I assumed they'd issue all new customer with the visa debit, seeing as they are starting to do that with all current customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

servicecard will be a Visa Debit

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

Has anyone else noticed the odd bit of money going missing from their account thats not showing up on their statement?

I had a small issue booking flights online with Aer Lingus - VISA Debit does not appear as a card type on the card list - you must select Visa Electron, and then enter your card details - transaction will go through fine.

AND
    Random wrote: »
    It's working now when added as "Visa" and NOT "Visa Electron".

Why is anyone trying to choose VISA electron or VISA Debit? Seriously. I think half of the problems on this thread are caused by people choosing the wrong card. FORGET the Debit bit. It uses the same clearing bank as a VISA credit card. same format. same 16 digits pan number. Just choose "VISA" anywhere you want to pay with it. It will work. Do NOT choose VISA electron as it is not a VISA electron card. Electron don't have raised numbers on the card, and use a different clearing protocol.
    I've seen some shops think that debit cards are like cash cards and get confused and refuse to take them in case the 'bounce'. Just treat it like a credit card. Call it a VISA card. full stop. you will have less problems online or anywhere else. For example, if you call up Paddy Power to open an acocunt and say "yeah its a visa DEBIT card" they will be confused and won't open it, because they don't think they are covered. If yo ujust say "yeah, a VISA card" they will open your account. they cannot tell from the 16 numbers and the expiry date if its debit or credit, just that it uses the VISA clearing bank. so just save yourself all the hassle and call it a VISA card.

By the way... This is why VISA electron is different to VISA debit or credit. you can now see that debit and credit VISA cards are essentially the same as far as the retailer is concerned. It's just a "VISA" card to them.

The difference between Visa Electron and Visa Debit is that payments with Visa Electron require that all the funds be available at the time of transfer, i.e., Visa Electron card accounts may not be overdrawn. Visa Debit cards, on the other hand, allow transfers exceeding available funds up to a certain limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

On Aer Lingus I have selected Visa Electron while using my Visa Debit and I managed to avoid the CC charge. ;)

Stevek101 wrote: »
    On Aer Lingus I have selected Visa Electron while using my Visa Debit and I managed to avoid the CC charge. ;)

If that works and they don't notice, excellent, if I ever flew Air Fungus I'd do it.
    Sadly Ryanair have more cop on then Air Lingus.
    But in these recessionary times we have to make our own advantages, since no one will give you nothing for nothing.
    Every man for himself and screw the system to the max.
    I actually believe that any company adds a bit on to the price due to fraud.
    That means that if you're 100% honest, you're getting screwed.

noelpat wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the odd bit of money going missing from their account thats not showing up on their statement?

That just doesn't make sense.

Everything shows up on your statement, unless you conducted the transaction recently and it is still technically pending. In this case, the transaction will show on your account in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just opened my UB current account today. I didn't have the option on the form to select a regular debit card over the Service card, but from flicking through this thread it seems people have been switching from one to the other. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, am I right in thinking that the service card is the one with the online difficulties, or have these problems been ironed out now anyway, making my whole post moot? :p

Just opened my UB current account today. I didn't have the option on the form to select a regular debit card over the Service card, but from flicking through this thread it seems people have been switching from one to the other. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, am I right in thinking that the service card is the one with the online difficulties, or have these problems been ironed out now anyway, making my whole post moot? :p

The debitcard and servicecard are identical in their usage - the only difference is that the service card has a cheque guarantee facility of €130.

In terms of being switching between the two, there's not much point if you have the servicecard. It's only the other way around that someone might look to switch, as they might want to upgrade from the standard debitcard for the cheque guarantee facility.

The debitcard and servicecard are identical in their usage - the only difference is that the service card has a cheque guarantee facility of €130.

In terms of being switching between the two, there's not much point if you have the servicecard. It's only the other way around that someone might look to switch, as they might want to upgrade from the standard debitcard for the cheque guarantee facility.

Who still uses cheques?
    I actually got a cheque book with my new Ulster Bank account.
    Never wanted it, never asked for it, it's all a bit 18th century to me, really.
    All my money goes in to my account and I pay by debit practically everywhere. Or cash, but you'll see that going too in a few years.
    Haven't used a cheque in years and then only because there where no debit cards around.
    Cheques are being phased out anyway:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/cheques-to-be-phased-out-in-bid-to-modernise-payments-2031406.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Aye, I understand that, but according to this thread the Service card was being refused for online transactions at certain sites (at least as I understood it).

What I'm asking is, have these issues been ironed out, and if not, can one switch from the Service card to the regular Visa Debit Card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

That just doesn't make sense.

Everything shows up on your statement, unless you conducted the transaction recently and it is still technically pending. In this case, the transaction will show on your account in a couple of days.

Thanks for the reply, i must be going crazy then though LOL, cause these 1 and 2 euro charges here and there are not showing up for over a month now

Who still uses cheques?
    All my money goes in to my account and I pay by debit practically everywhere. Or cash, but you'll see that going too in a few years.
    Haven't used a cheque in years and then only because there where no debit cards around.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/cheques-to-be-phased-out-in-bid-to-modernise-payments-2031406.html

Are you sure it's a cheque book? Check if it says Credit Book on it, if it does it is... credit book (lodgment book).

Who still uses cheques?
    Like jaceq said it was probably a giro book to lodge money into your account, handy things if you ask me. I got one too.

Like jaceq said it was probably a giro book to lodge money into your account, handy things if you ask me. I got one too.

I asked at Ulster about that, apparently every customer gets that.

noelpat wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, i must be going crazy then though LOL, cause these 1 and 2 euro charges here and there are not showing up for over a month now

Go into any branch and ask for a print out for the last 6 weeks, see if there are any discrepencies. There really shouldn't be!

I'd be pretty upset if someone started taking a couple of euro out of my pocket!

jaceq wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a cheque book? Check if it says Credit Book on it, if it does it is... credit book (lodgment book).

Upon closer examination it would appear that I was given a Credit Book indeed.
    Excellent *steeples fingers*

Hi All!

I'm just starting to receive my new bank account info from Ulster Bank.

On the letter they sent they give my my account number etc, next to ''Card type'' it says ''service card''. Is this just a generic card? I assumed they'd issue all new customer with the visa debit, seeing as they are starting to do that with all current customers!

Thats their Laser/maestro (service card) I requested asap a Visa Debit instead but nothing yet. :(

I asked to be upgraded by email to my local branch......but no reply back......anyone know if I really need to call in and perhaps sign something.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

There new service cards are Visa Debits as well.

A quick look at their webiste produces http://www.ulsterbank.com/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/your-card.ashx

Yeah I got the card today, it's a visa debit but says service card on it too.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got the card today, it's a visa debit but says service card on it too.

did your old card expire soon or are you near the upper end of the alphabet, which letter.......or did you request an upgrade?

Advertisement