Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Yeah I got the card today, it's a visa debit but says service card on it too.

The service card bit just refers to a cheque guarantee facility.

danjo wrote:
    Thats their Laser/maestro (service card) I requested asap a Visa Debit instead but nothing yet. frown.gif

I asked to be upgraded by email to my local branch......but no reply back......anyone know if I really need to call in and perhaps sign something.

Call them. Email is not secure and as such they will not accept unverified instruction via email.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

danjo-xx wrote: »
    did your old card expire soon or are you near the upper end of the alphabet, which letter.......or did you request an upgrade?
    I'm a new customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't know if someone already posted this, but used my Ulster Bank debit card in LIDL today, no problemlo.
    Also registered with PayPal, same thing.
    So far, so not a single problem.
    Have yet to try Aldi, but if don't see why it shouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Call them. Email is not secure and as such they will not accept unverified instruction via email.

Good point....will call in Monday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Don't know if someone already posted this, but used my Ulster Bank debit card in LIDL today, no problemlo.
    Also registered with PayPal, same thing.
    So far, so not a single problem.
    Have yet to try Aldi, but if don't see why it shouldn't work.

FYI: My local LIDL (Leixlip) has new stickers on the doors saying they now accept Laser, Visa and Master Card.

• Advertisement

Got mine today:) Just wondering about signing up for their 'Visa Verified' as you have to open a UB Security a/c to do this which means giving more personal details...also haven't seem much interest in their 'Rapport' security system either on the boards...... is it just more info gathering for them.

Anyone else signed up for the 'Visa Verified'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I activated my card via text message the other day, and I got a reply yesterday saying it was activated. Happy days I thought. Went onto Paypal to set up the card, only to have it rejected. Rang UB, and they told me the card wasn't activated at all (your man on the phone done it for me there and then). Bit stupid having the text service if it doesn't work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I activated my card via text message the other day, and I got a reply yesterday saying it was activated. Happy days I thought. Went onto Paypal to set up the card, only to have it rejected. Rang UB, and they told me the card wasn't activated at all (your man on the phone done it for me there and then). Bit stupid having the text service if it doesn't work at all.
    Got mine in the post today, and was going to use the text message. Won't bother now, but rather activate it in branch next week.

Activated online, but haven't tried using it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Anyone else signed up for the 'Visa Verified'

Yes, and on various other cards. Some sites won't let you complete the purchase without doing the Verified by Visa authorisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Yes, and on various other cards. Some sites won't let you complete the purchase without doing the Verified by Visa authorisation.

I have signed up of Verified by Visa and have had no problems. Worst bit is remembering another password but its easy to reset it.

Does anyone know if all the online problems with these cards been sorted? My bird wants to make sure before she changes her card. She's afraid she won't be able to shop on the internet! :cool:

According to earlier posts in the thread, yes they have

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

Hi All

Just wondering if you had no money in your account can the Visa Laser still let a transaction go through - like a Visa account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Mine works everywhere my halifax one used to work except in luas ticket machines for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hi All

Just wondering if you had no money in your account can the Visa Laser still let a transaction go through - like a Visa account?

Only if you have an overdraft.

I like their 24hr Emergency Cash if your card is lost or stolen

Yes, it's accepted anywhere that takes Visa credit cards (so virtually all shops etc that accept credit cards - especially in North America).

The same applies for ATM's - any ATM with a Visa or Plus symbol on it (which would be most in NA) will accept it.

Just an update on Ulster Banks online banking.
    Tried using it through Linux/Iceweasel, this brought up message "Incompatible Browser"
    I added on a "Default User Agent Switcher", that fools the other side into thinking I'm logging on using Windows/Internet Explorer (you can choose whether you want to emulate 6/7/8).
    Tried this for the first time today.
    No problem.
    Instead of "Incompatible browser" message, got login screen, logged on, had a look at my accounts and logged out again.
    I have not tried any transactions online, but at least I can look up stuff and check on my balance.
    MS once got sued for incorporating IE into it's operating system.
    Now what they do is force companies into artificially blocking perfectly good browsers from other operating systems from accessing websites with companies they have some kind of sweetheart deal with.
    These companies then knowingly create a security risk by forcing people to use less secure browser/operating system combinations.
    This is like bribing road maintenance companies into only allowing certain makes of cars on their road and excluding others to give an advantage to one car maker over others.
    It's anti competitiveness on such a massive scale and conducted with an ammount of cheek, it makes any other shady and dodgy deal done by MS in the past look like a text book lesson in ethical behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

http://orionclubcard.com/

Mastercard debit card, pay at the post office, and I,ve used it for the pasted 1 years all over europe and no problems, ebay,itunes,amazon etc.(not bad)

But signed up to Ulster bank debit card.:)

regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Just an update on Ulster Banks online banking.
    Tried using it through Linux/Iceweasel, this brought up message "Incompatible Browser"
    I added on a "Default User Agent Switcher", that fools the other side into thinking I'm logging on using Windows/Internet Explorer (you can choose whether you want to emulate 6/7/8).
    Tried this for the first time today.
    No problem.
    Instead of "Incompatible browser" message, got login screen, logged on, had a look at my accounts and logged out again.
    I have not tried any transactions online, but at least I can look up stuff and check on my balance.
    MS once got sued for incorporating IE into it's operating system.
    Now what they do is force companies into artificially blocking perfectly good browsers from other operating systems from accessing websites with companies they have some kind of sweetheart deal with.
    These companies then knowingly create a security risk by forcing people to use less secure browser/operating system combinations.
    This is like bribing road maintenance companies into only allowing certain makes of cars on their road and excluding others to give an advantage to one car maker over others.
    It's anti competitiveness on such a massive scale and conducted with an ammount of cheek, it makes any other shady and dodgy deal done by MS in the past look like a text book lesson in ethical behaviour.

Weird, I am using IE and Google Chrome without any modification nor problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My card failed to work in an AIB ATM the other day. My mate had a PTSB card and that worked fine. Pain in the hole. Hoping it was only a once off.

I've used AIB machines multiple times without problem. Probably a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Ive used mine about 10 times so far got refused on Zavvi.com and Insomnia on two seperate occasions, I cant be arsed ringing them as im still with Halifax but im not overly impressed so far with UB as a whole. The staff have to check their own website to find out information on basic products!

jaceq wrote: »
    Weird, I am using IE and Google Chrome without any modification nor problem.

IE no problem, that's what's being pushed.
    I'm using Iceweasel browser on a Debian based Linux system.
    It's something that could be considered just about the safest way of going online because Linux is inherently safer than Windows and also not targeted by thieves, hackers and fraudsters because only a small percentage uses it.
    Also, this is not a compatibility issue, since I can fool their webserver into thinking I'm logging on using Windows and IE and it does it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Amazon.co.uk are now accepting it. I used it last week and my card has been charged.:)

OK, Aldi, Lidl, PayPal, Skype, Amazon and several other online stores accepting my Ulster Bank debit card no problem.
    Tesco Mobile online where the only quarehogs who wouldn't take it.
    Tried again today, registered the card, worked no problem.
    Seems that most initial problems are straightened out now.
    Anyone have their card not accepted anywhere?
    Will try to hire a car with the debit card and if that works it's good buy credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone used the Visa debit card aboad, any issues?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Ive used mine in London, Bolton, on a ferry, in Paris, new York, and in zakynthos(Greece) aswel as allover Ireland on in many online stores, never once had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

In mallorca and Ulster bank debit card working fine, no problems.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

This Year possibly , Ulster Bank are going to start opening on Saturdays.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement