Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

rameire wrote: »
    This Year possibly , Ulster Bank are going to start opening on Saturdays.

I hope so. Why banks think it's a good idea to open only at times when people are in work, I'll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vincenzo1

I was told by a shop keeper that it will cost a fee to get a cash advance on these visa debit cards? There was no fee with a reliable laser card.
    Are they nearly the same as a visa card then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I presume you mean cashback (like you get on Laser cards) rather than cash advances (which you get from credit cards).

There should be no fee on cashback. I'd imagine the retailer is confusing the two and is unfamiliar with the concept of Visa Debit and/or giving cashback on Visa Debit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vincenzo1

Yes i meant cash back, maybe he was confused. And you say there is no cost? I thought it seemed strange alright. i best doublecheck with bank but thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I actually tried to get cash back the other day but the card was declined. Put it through again for the purchase amount and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I actually tried to get cash back the other day but the card was declined. Put it through again for the purchase amount and it was fine.
    What store was this in?

What store was this in?
    Londis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I've had mine for a couple months now, and it's great! I've used it online, with my Paypal account, cashback, bank machines...the works! Heading to the states in June so hoping all will be fine over there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I still get the odd shop refusing cashback on the Visa Debit card :( It's a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThatsNotMyName*

''This Year possibly , Ulster Bank are going to start opening on Saturdays.''

No no, not 'possibly', 100% already decided. I shall update you tomorrow on which unlucky branches have been picked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I had trouble using it on play.com. It wouldnt accept my address as correct and I checked my statement and UB had not put my postcode on my address and when I removed it the payment went through. I didnt realise your address was checked when processing a payment and that it would have to match exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Is it difficult to get one of these cards. I haven't got an account with UB, would that be a problem? Could I just walk in, open an A/C, and ask for one of these cards?

LD 50 wrote: »
    Is it difficult to get one of these cards. I haven't got an account with UB, would that be a problem? Could I just walk in, open an A/C, and ask for one of these cards?
    If you open an account you're automatically given a Visa Debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Sweet.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Sorry for bumping this thread, didnt want to start a new one. I've applied for the student account with the Ulster Bank servicecard, I got my pack in the post on Thursday 3rd of June, how long does it usually take to be issued? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ten days roughly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Davy wrote: »
    Ten days roughly

Just what I needed to hear Davy, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not necessarily true. Depends on what humour the cashier is in, sometimes they may refuse if you dont have a sufficient balance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

How do I go about changing my current Maestro/Laser service card to one of these flashy Visa ones? The current one won't expire for another year - can I just ring them and ask for a Visa Debit card for the account, and say the current one is broken or something? :o

Yes, you can request a replacement at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i just called my local branch and had a visa debit within a week (replaced my existing atm card).

i've found 2 aib atm's that my card won't work in. it just spits it out straight away. both are aib and in blanchardstown in dublin. one is the aib at the blanchardstown sc and the other is molloys in coolmine.

ulster bank told me to wipe my card on my jumper! grr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I just received my UB visa electron card, and one thing im curious about, if i use this to book a hotel online, and the booking company goes bust, just like 1800hotels seems to have, would i be covered for a refund in the same way a regular credit card would? or would it be considered the same as paying with Laser, ie, bye bye booking and money?

Visa Debit gives you similar protections to Visa credit cards - so much better than Laser. No promise that you'll always get a refund as it depends on the situation, but the process is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Does anyone know if there is a daily limit or limit per single transaction on the ulster bank visa debit card? Can't get a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think it was €1800 with halifax, im not sure about ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I got my Ulster bank Visa Debit card last week, and decided to sign up for Play.com on Monday.
    Every tome I try to do a purchase, it is declined and I get an e-mail back from them stating

Thank you for your recent order with Play.com

At this time we are unable to process your order as your credit/debit card
    issuer has notified us that the card holder details you have supplied does
    not match the address they have on record.

To proceed with your order please check and amend the following:

Cardholder name. Please check and amend your details with your name
    exactly as it appears on your credit/debit card statement.

Cardholder address. This should be the address where your credit card
    bills or bank statements are sent.

Your house number (or name) and postcode should be exactly the same as
    they appear on your credit card bills or bank statement.

If you do not find a discrepancy please contact our Customer Service Team
    on 0845 800 1020 (UK only) or +44 (0)1534 877 595 (outside UK).

Now I called up Ulster Bank and they confirmed that the address was identical to the one I entered at Play.com.
    The only difference is that on Play.com, the Post Code field is mandatory (For F**ks Sake:mad::mad:), so I placed the Dublin 4 part of the address there. (Remember we in the Republic don't use post codes in our addresses -you total idiots :mad: I'm talking about Play.com there)
    I tried to call Play.com using the international number (+44 (0)1534 877 595)but it does not work, and there is no email support.
    What a shower of handicaps.
    Is there any way of getting over this problem?, ie. is there a secret code that you put in the post-code field that is ignored in the "Verified By Visa" address comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Does anyone have a number I can call via skype to get through to someone who knows about debit cards? I've called several numbers on the UB website and just keep getting passed around.

Edit: if you phone the telephone banking number a few times you might be lucky enough to get through to someone who can help.

Just to let you know, I was told there's no limit on the card and no need to pre-authorize payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FWIW I can't get my shiny new Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card to work on the Irish Rail ticket machines, strange.
    Wouldn't give me hope if going abroad and getting stuck in a random Metro station being declined when the funds are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Davy wrote: »
    I think it was €1800 with halifax, im not sure about ulster bank

:)

Yes, 1800 was the max they would hand over the counter without some notice. Can you remember what the atm daily limit was?, ive googled away to try and find UB atm daily limit without success. Its usually 400-600 but im going to have to call them i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

carrolls wrote: »
    I got my Ulster bank Visa Debit card last week, and decided to sign up for Play.com on Monday.
    Every tome I try to do a purchase, it is declined and I get an e-mail back from them stating

Thank you for your recent order with Play.com

At this time we are unable to process your order as your credit/debit card
    issuer has notified us that the card holder details you have supplied does
    not match the address they have on record.

To proceed with your order please check and amend the following:

Cardholder name. Please check and amend your details with your name
    exactly as it appears on your credit/debit card statement.

Cardholder address. This should be the address where your credit card
    bills or bank statements are sent.

Your house number (or name) and postcode should be exactly the same as
    they appear on your credit card bills or bank statement.

If you do not find a discrepancy please contact our Customer Service Team
    on 0845 800 1020 (UK only) or +44 (0)1534 877 595 (outside UK).

Now I called up Ulster Bank and they confirmed that the address was identical to the one I entered at Play.com.
    The only difference is that on Play.com, the Post Code field is mandatory (For F**ks Sake:mad::mad:), so I placed the Dublin 4 part of the address there. (Remember we in the Republic don't use post codes in our addresses -you total idiots :mad: I'm talking about Play.com there)
    I tried to call Play.com using the international number (+44 (0)1534 877 595)but it does not work, and there is no email support.
    What a shower of handicaps.
    Is there any way of getting over this problem?, ie. is there a secret code that you put in the post-code field that is ignored in the "Verified By Visa" address comparison?

Play.com are the least technical competent of all of the big Mail Order Internet stores.
    I think up to last year, the Post Code field was optional, and you could leave it blank.
    As long as they require the "Verified By Visa" tag on your Play.com account, you are goosed, unless you give them a call. You say the International number is not working. Try putting two zeros before the 44 and lose the 0. You have probably tried that already.

Advertisement