Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Dotmans. I'm afraid you have got it wrong about using Visa Debit cards on-line. :P

If you buy something and don't get the goods you can get your money back through the bank that gave you the Visa debit card. Of course you will be asked to try to get the money back from the seller first.
    Maestro and Laser don't give us the same protection!
    The same goes if you order a new sofa and pay a deposit in a shop, if the shop goes bust the rules for Visa Debit cards allow you to claim your money back from the Bank. If you don't believe me look at the Visa Website. They don't distinguish between the Visa credit cards and Visa debit cards. So good news for Ulster Bank customers!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 natweststaff

Just abit of an update.

RBS customers from 23/08/09 will now recieve a visa debit card from lost or replacement cards. This will also apply to natwest and ulster bank from 13/09/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Dotmans. I'm afraid you have got it wrong about using Visa Debit cards on-line. :P

If you buy something and don't get the goods you can get your money back through the bank that gave you the Visa debit card. Of course you will be asked to try to get the money back from the seller first.
    Maestro and Laser don't give us the same protection!
    The same goes if you order a new sofa and pay a deposit in a shop, if the shop goes bust the rules for Visa Debit cards allow you to claim your money back from the Bank. If you don't believe me look at the Visa Website. They don't distinguish between the Visa credit cards and Visa debit cards. So good news for Ulster Bank customers!:)
    Where on the website is that? Not saying you're wrong, it's just that this is the first I heard of it, and can't find anything on their website about it! Google brings up a few articles about it, with this BBC article describing it, but also saying that it's not as good as a credit card (as it's not legally binding).

I'd be interested to know if that cover also applies to Irish customers. I'd also, as in the article, question the legal comeback if you're not happy. With a credit card, you are protected by actual laws. With a Debit card, you don't. Visa may offer it as a bonus, but it's more a customer-friendly initiative than a legal obligation. I'd also be concerned about the likes of this.

Please see page 77 of this PDF file

This is the same process for UK banks:

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/card_acceptance_guide.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I find it strange that ulster banks website isnt showing up any info on the new visa debit card theyre introducing, or am i just looking in all the wrong places??
    IS the switchover automatic on the 13th?? Anyone who applies for a new current account after 13/9 will recieve an ulster bank visa debit? Ive been with halifax the last couple yrs but would rather switch to UB with all this talk of halifax possibly leaving Ireland or ceasing its lending division at the very least.

• Advertisement

I find it strange that ulster banks website isnt showing up any info on the new visa debit card theyre introducing, or am i just looking in all the wrong places??
    IS the switchover automatic on the 13th?? Anyone who applies for a new current account after 13/9 will recieve an ulster bank visa debit? Ive been with halifax the last couple yrs but would rather switch to UB with all this talk of halifax possibly leaving Ireland or ceasing its lending division at the very least.

At the moment the details are not currently on the RBS group websites. However this will change over the next few weeks.

The only website that has been changed so far is natwest international & RBS:

http://www.natwestinternational.com/nw/visa.ashx

http://www.rbs.co.uk/global/visa.ashx?DCMP=OTC-visadebitFURL

http://www.natwest.com/global/visa.ashx

Any cards ordered due to lost or replacements after around the 13th Sept will be visa debit cards this would also apply to new accounts.

Id give ulster bank telephone banking a call and they may be able to confirm dates etc for you.

They are aware of it as a dual branded email was sent to everyone about the switch over to visa debit last week at work confirming the dates etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My friend told me that Ulster Bank are getting Visa Debit shortly - I knew they were eventually going to change but I didn't think they were going to do it this soon.

When will it be introduced? (I can't find anything about it on ulsterbank.ie!)
    Will it have all the functionality as the Visa Debit from Halifax (i.e. being able to use it as a debit card, as well as online, where Visa Credit Card is accepted?)

Also, my brother is looking to start a bank account (he's 17) and I might get him to start an Ulster Bank one, as he could use the Visa Debit instead of an actual credit card for buying things online. Will Ulster Bank use it for their Young People's account also?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Merged with existing thread. You'll find many of the answers already covered - but yes, it works everywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, on and offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

A word of warning my Halifax Visa Debit was compromised and they managed to empty what was left in my back account. Now in fairness Halifax were very good and dealt with the matter swiftly by extending Overdraft on my account so i could still pay bills mortgage etc. They were the ones who contacted me a out the problem before The transactions even landed in my account.

Only prob was they were a bit slow sending out replacement cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Merged with existing thread. You'll find many of the answers already covered - but yes, it works everywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, on and offline.
    Thanks! Apologies for starting a new thread.
    alexmcred wrote: »
    A word of warning my Halifax Visa Debit was compromised and they managed to empty what was left in my back account. Now in fairness Halifax were very good and dealt with the matter swiftly by extending Overdraft on my account so i could still pay bills mortgage etc. They were the ones who contacted me a out the problem before The transactions even landed in my account.

Only prob was they were a bit slow sending out replacement cards.

May I ask how it was compromised? Was it stolen or was your card skimmed at an ATM?

Also - is the Visa Debit from Ulster Bank Chip 'n' Pin? (I assume it is - but I'd like to be sure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Is there any difference between me holding a Visa Debit card and a Visa credit card, apart from the fact I have to have the Debit card pre loaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Also - is the Visa Debit from Ulster Bank Chip 'n' Pin? (I assume it is - but I'd like to be sure).

Not sure what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Yes it is.

In fairness, any card, from any bank can be skimmed/cloned/compromised - it's not particularily relevant to this thread though :)
    Is there any difference between me holding a Visa Debit card and a Visa credit card, apart from the fact I have to have the Debit card pre loaded?

Not really, no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

valor wrote: »
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not really, no :)

Arent the purchases you make covered for 90/100 days on a credit card, and not covered using the debit or laser

Hi guys and gals.

Latest info from one of my friends who works in Ulster Bank is that they will start sending out Visa debit cards in the next couple of weeks.
    I think they are waiting for the factory that makes the cards to change their production lines before they can announce it. According to my mate as soon as their website changes everything is ready for them to send out the new cards. My Ulster Bank Laser card is cracked but I can still use it and my mate says to wait a couple of days and that I should be able to get a Visa debit card in its place. It won't even cost me anything cause they have no charge for getting a new card. So if you have a card with them just tell you its dmaged and ask them to exchange your Laser card for a Visa debit card. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

judging by the fact BOI has said it cannot guarantee double charging won't occur again with LASER, maybe other banks will begin to switch to VISA too. LASER is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Bank don't/didn't know how the card was compromised. I know that any card can be compromised but what I'm trying to point out is that before people switch to using visa debit that they are aware of the repocussions of visa debit being compromised can be a pain.

Visa debit cards are not pre loaded and can use the funds availiable in what could be your main bank account.

100gSoma wrote: »
    judging by the fact BOI has said it cannot guarantee double charging won't occur again with LASER, maybe other banks will begin to switch to VISA too. LASER is a joke.

*sigh*

That had nothing to do with it being Visa or Laser - it could as easily happen with Visa Debit as Laser.

If you're going to comment, at least be accurate - and it might be better to keep it to the more appropriate thread.

Let's go back on topic folks :)

...they will start sending out Visa debit cards in the next couple of weeks....

Ahh damn.. I thought they were starting Visa Debit on the 13/09/09. I don't want to create an account until they start Visa Debit - as I don't want to receive a Laser/Maestro card and have to replace it only weeks after getting it.

As a matter of interest, how widely accepted is Visa in POS in shops throughout Ireland? My BOI Laser Card is accepted nearly everywhere, my (crappy) Postbank Maestro-only card has about 40% acceptance.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, how widely accepted is Visa in POS in shops throughout Ireland?

Everywhere bar lidl and aldi. Only some shops will give you cashback on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

yeah my only gripe with VISA DEBIT is that I think I only got cashback once off Supervalu, never off any other shop, spar etc. anyone know what big shops will give cashback on visa debit. I think alot of shop keepers immediately think its a credit card when they see Visa so do not even swipe it for the cashback option. As for accpetance, its universal except for lidl and aldi as pointed out. Thats disappointing too. Mind you, I travel 4 or 5 times a year, and I buy alot online so it still is my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Thats odd, ive gotten cashback everywhere ive asked for it with visa debit.

(centra,tesco etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I've never been allowed Cashback with Visa Debit. Once I was in Dunnes and the girl asked me if I wanted some. She realized it was Visa and then apologized because she taught it was Laser.
    I think that will change though with Ulster Banks switchover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

schween wrote: »
    I've never been allowed Cashback with Visa Debit. Once I was in Dunnes and the girl asked me if I wanted some. She realized it was Visa and then apologized because she taught it was Laser.
    I think that will change though with Ulster Banks switchover.

Yea, they will just update the terminals in these places and it will be available everywhere pretty soon id imagine. We are only 15/20 years behind the uk on this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Have nothing but good things to say about Halifax Visa Debit. Its great the way it merges with your current account allowing you to easily manage your money online. It is also impossible to go into debit via an atm so no worries about accidentally being hit with charges. And of course, no trudging up to the bank every 2 months to pay the bill.

I have an old account with Ulster Bank so Im trying to get that set up with internet banking and will certainly get this Visa Debit simply because of the talk about Halifax at the moment. I would recommend everyone to do it :)

turgon wrote: »
    Have nothing but good things to say about Halifax Visa Debit. Its great the way it merges with your current account allowing you to easily manage your money online. It is also impossible to go into debit via an atm so no worries about accidentally being hit with charges. And of course, no trudging up to the bank every 2 months to pay the bill.

I have an old account with Ulster Bank so Im trying to get that set up with internet banking and will certainly get this Visa Debit simply because of the talk about Halifax at the moment. I would recommend everyone to do it :)

You have nothing but good things to say about halifax and the debit card, but yet you are going to move to ulster bank before its even decided what's happening with them. Nothing may not even happen, it hasn't been confirmed one way or anther. Its not like your money will vanish into thin air when they close secretly. I think just sit tight and wait till we hear otherwise from a confirmed source rather than some media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

100gSoma wrote: »
    yeah my only gripe with VISA DEBIT is that I think I only got cashback once off Supervalu, never off any other shop, spar etc. anyone know what big shops will give cashback on visa debit. I think alot of shop keepers immediately think its a credit card when they see Visa so do not even swipe it for the cashback option.

Exactly they may not be aware of such a thing and they think it's credit, my cashback is on and off in the same places depending on who's behind the counter, I usually can't be bothered to explain if they say no. Maybe I should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Davy wrote: »
    You have nothing but good things to say about halifax and the debit card, but yet you are going to move to ulster bank before its even decided what's happening with them.

Forgive me for being precautionary.

• Advertisement

I have had to ask for cashback with my Laser card sometimes and other times the shop offers it. Does anyone out there know why this happens. What's in it for the shop owner? and what about those shops with ATMs on the premises? I am going to ask my mate in Ulster Bank and if I hear anything I will post it here.

Advertisement