Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Tried to pay an Airtricity bill online today with my UB Visa Debit - if I choose Visa as the payment option they assume it's a credit card and add a €5 fee. I f I choose laser it says "not a valid laser card".

Makes sense, as it's not a laser.

Debit card =/= laser card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Debit card =/= laser card.
    Um, a Laser Card is a debit card.

Maybe what you meant to say is that
    Visa =/= Laser

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

dotsman wrote: »

Visa =/= Laser

What he was saying is just because its a debit card doesn't mean its a laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ok just an update because I think it's relevant to the thread. So far I have used the UB Visa Debit with success in UK, Italy and pretty much all over the states as a normal credit card (they love to swipe for everything over there).

Perhaps more importantly, most of the transactions in the USA were not even PIN verified :eek:

But so far so good with hotels, car rental, pretty much everything. The authorisation holds are a pain in the arse as you can't touch the funds until after the final bill is settled but that's the nature of the beast.

To date the only problem I have had with the card has been with a finicky Irish Rail ticket machine and when trying to buy an Apple computer (I now suspect this to be a problem with an unpublished daily limit on the card, judging by other posters saying there's a €1400 purchase limit per transaction).

Anyway, problems aside, this card is superb. 10/10

Savman wrote: »
    Ok just an update because I think it's relevant to the thread. So far I have used the UB Visa Debit with success in UK, Italy and pretty much all over the states as a normal credit card (they love to swipe for everything over there).

Perhaps more importantly, most of the transactions in the USA were not even PIN verified :eek:

But so far so good with hotels, car rental, pretty much everything. The authorisation holds are a pain in the arse as you can't touch the funds until after the final bill is settled but that's the nature of the beast.

To date the only problem I have had with the card has been with a finicky Irish Rail ticket machine and when trying to buy an Apple computer (I now suspect this to be a problem with an unpublished daily limit on the card, judging by other posters saying there's a €1400 purchase limit per transaction).

Anyway, problems aside, this card is superb. 10/10

I'm going to jump in on this. Don't use your VisaDebit for preauthorisation. We've had to stop taking them here, as the authorisation holds AFTER the transaction has been completed. So say auth was for €300, and charge comes to €100, the €300 will still be holding AFTER the €100 comes out of your account.

Noone in any of the banks will give us an explanation why this is, or are willing to even listen to us why this is.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »

Visa =/= Laser

Yes, Laser is a debit card, but not all debit cards are Laser cards.

Just being pedantic, but there's no point in trying to enter a VisaDebit card as a Laser because it won't recognise it. Laser's start with a 6, Visa (and VisaDebit) start with a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perhaps more importantly, most of the transactions in the USA were not even PIN verified

The US hasn't switched to Chip and Pin, that's why :)

Don't use your VisaDebit for preauthorisation. .
    Ok, what exactly do you suggest then? And don't say a credit card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I occassionally use 3V for online purchases of smallish items like DVDs. I'm thinking about maybe opening an Ulster account just to get this card. I'm with AIB and I assume they won't be going to Visa Debit anytime soon?

With Ulster:

Are there transaction fees?
    Are there currency conversion fees when paying for something in £ ?
    Is there a yearly fee?
    What's the minimum I'd need to have in an account?
    Does Ulster have online banking to check statements etc?

There must be some kind of small print/some sort of nasty catch. I'd just be putting a score in every so often to buy something online.

• Advertisement

I'm with AIB and I assume they won't be going to Visa Debit anytime soon?
    As of the moment, they've shown no desire to change.
    Are there transaction fees?
    No - their standard accounts have no transaction fees
    Are there currency conversion fees when paying for something in £ ?
    Yes
    Is there a yearly fee?
    Government stamp duty of €2.50 (if you only use it as an ATM card OR only as a debit card) or €5 (if you use both functions)
    What's the minimum I'd need to have in an account?
    There is no minimum at the moment
    Does Ulster have online banking to check statements etc?
    Yes

Cheers Buffy. Do you know what the currency conversion charge is say if you were buying something online from Amazon or whatever? I think with the likes of 3v it's 2.50%.

This is all sounding good and I'd think of changing bank altogether but it irks me that with Irish ATMs you can only check yr balance at your own bank's ATMs unlike in the UK where you can check balance wherever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Hi guys this is probably been answered a million times but UB visa debit works perfect over in the states ?? I'm planning on opening account with them over next few days seems like a good enough bank.

Cheers Buffy. Do you know what the currency conversion charge is say if you were buying something online from Amazon or whatever? I think with the likes of 3v it's 2.50%.

All the charges are outlined here: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/Downloads/roi/personal/daily_banking/debitCARD.pdf
    Hi guys this is probably been answered a million times but UB visa debit works perfect over in the states ?? I'm planning on opening account with them over next few days seems like a good enough bank.

Yes it does - anywhere that accepts Visa will accept this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Buffybot thanks so much for reply just read a few pages bk , I take it's best to inform UB that I be travelling to the states nd not to freeeze the account?

It makes no difference if you call them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

To be honest Id give them a call just to be on the safe side before you go anyways. Ive heard horror stories before of peoples cards being frozen while abroad because the bank thought it was fraudulent activity.

Even if you do ring them, they may still block your card. But hey it is your dime.

RVN10 wrote: »
    See my post on previous page. It works pretty much everywhere in the US.

You might get the odd bogey spot but no more risk of that in the states than here in Ireland.

To be honest Id give them a call just to be on the safe side before you go anyways. Ive heard horror stories before of peoples cards being frozen while abroad because the bank thought it was fraudulent activity.
    This has happened me a few times, in Ireland actually, never while abroad. I was told that repeated transactions for the same/similar amounts will trigger a security thing rendering the card useless. To be fair though, one call to UB and the restriction is lifted in minutes so it's not really that big a deal.

Just store the Helpline number in your phone.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Ok, what exactly do you suggest then? And don't say a credit card....

Credit....Oh.

If they are looking for a preauthorisation, they are generally going to take the room amount, plus an amount against extras. If you get them to put the sale through for this amount, and then refund the difference on departure, it is easier for you. A refund should appear back on your account in a few days, a held preauth can hold for up to 30 days.

Isn't there an addition ATM charge for withdrawing in funds other than Euro?

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/dan-white/dan-white-beware-of-those-hidden-visa-debit-card-charges-2402421.html

I dont' fancy paying over €3 each time I take out a few quid sterling up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

as far as i know, if you use an ulster bank, natwest or rbs atm in the north or in england you dont get charged withdrawl fees as an ub customer? im open to correction on this though

You're correct - user RBS/Natwest/Ulster and there is no additional fee above the exchange rate.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You're correct - user RBS/Natwest/Ulster and there is no additional fee above the exchange rate.
    What about a point of sale transaction? Any extra charges in there when paying for something up North?

What about a point of sale transaction? Any extra charges in there when paying for something up North?
    From UB's terms and conditions:
    Purchases
    1.There is an Exchange Rate Transaction Fee (ERTF) of 1% of the
    transaction value with a minimum of E0.25 and a maximum of E6.
    2. You will also be charged 1% of the transaction value of your
    payment with a minimum of E0.25 and a maximum of E6 in
    addition to the ERTF

Government card duty
    • You pay Government Duty of €2.50 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs used at Point of Sale only.
    • You pay Government Duty of €2.50 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs or Cashcards used at cash machines only.
    • You pay Government Duty of €5 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs used at cash machines and used to pay for goods and services.
    • You pay Government Duty of €30 a year on credit cards.

If I just use the card for online transactions what do I pay? €2.50? Even if you only ever use the card at an ATM once do you still get hit with the €2.50?

What if there isn't sufficient funds in the account to pay this and I don't have an overdraft?

If I just use the card for online transactions what do I pay? €2.50? Even if you only ever use the card at an ATM once do you still get hit with the €2.50?
    Use it once in an ATM and you pay. Simples.
    What if there isn't sufficient funds in the account to pay this and I don't have an overdraft?
    They will take it anyway and charge you a considerable fee for not having an overdraft.

What if it's only used for online transactions? That's POS yeah?

• Advertisement

Indeed. That will cost you the €2.50. There is no escape.

Advertisement