Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Can you get this card on the Step Account? Their online application just recommended that account to me. I don't want an overdraft but do obviously want the Visa DEbit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you get this card on the Step Account? Their online application just recommended that account to me. I don't want an overdraft but do obviously want the Visa DEbit card
    Yes you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I applied for this last week, how long does it take for an application to process? They have all my details already.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

donmeister wrote: »
    I applied for this last week, how long does it take for an application to process? They have all my details already.

Thanks.

Did you apply online?

They are very slow online, find it better to go in to them. I originally did online,and just went in after nothing was done after weeks.

Davy wrote: »
    Did you apply online?

They are very slow online, find it better to go in to them. I originally did online,and just went in after nothing was done after weeks.

Yeah I applied online three weeks ago, filled out all the paperwork and had to go into the branch to show ID etc early last week, hopefully will have it by the end of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Yes, Laser is a debit card, but not all debit cards are Laser cards.

Just being pedantic, but there's no point in trying to enter a VisaDebit card as a Laser because it won't recognise it. Laser's start with a 6, Visa (and VisaDebit) start with a 4.

This is very true. I booke a hotel in London & there was a total pre-authorisation of over €200. A full week after I paid 300 on check-out the money was still held on my account. Very frustrating as I needed those funds available. Only negative I can see with it.

How long does it take for funds to show on your account when you withdraw through your VD? (from a Paddy Power account) I have just done so & it's not immediate

This is very true. I booke a hotel in London & there was a total pre-authorisation of over €200. A full week after I paid 300 on check-out the money was still held on my account. Very frustrating as I needed those funds available. Only negative I can see with it.

How long does it take for funds to show on your account when you withdraw through your VD? (from a Paddy Power account) I have just done so & it's not immediate
    2 to 3 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I received my Debit Card today, but I also received a credit book. What can this credit book be used for? It isn't very clear.

I received my Debit Card today, but I also received a credit book. What can this credit book be used for? It isn't very clear.
    You can use it to lodge cash and cheques to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

donmeister wrote: »

Thanks.

I applied online for a current account. Got the paperwork in the post and happened to be in the neighbouring town where the branch was located that I had applied for. So I dropped in all the paperwork etc there. That was Feb 25th. I received my card and lodgment book in the post only today. I had to activate my card by post or text (I chose text) so that will be tomorrow when the card is activated and I have to wait for my pin number to come as well. I also signed up for online banking and the letter said if I had signed up for it that I should get stuff in the post about it in the next few days.

My main reason for signing up was so I could get a visa debit card, it's been quite slow to set up a current account.

• Advertisement

I applied online for a current account. Got the paperwork in the post and happened to be in the neighbouring town where the branch was located that I had applied for. So I dropped in all the paperwork etc there. That was Feb 25th. I received my card and lodgment book in the post only today. I had to activate my card by post or text (I chose text) so that will be tomorrow when the card is activated and I have to wait for my pin number to come as well. I also signed up for online banking and the letter said if I had signed up for it that I should get stuff in the post about it in the next few days.

My main reason for signing up was so I could get a visa debit card, it's been quite slow to set up a current account.

Ha! Funny you should say that, I'm in the exact same boat, slow to open the account, got the card today, activated it and waiting for the PIN and online banking stuff again in the post! Im just happy I finally got the card...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Do they send you a text once the card is activated? I sent off the activation text today, I was expecting a reply of some sort.

Yes there should be a text response saying it has been activated. It can take some time. Send it again tomorrow if you don't have a response by then.

You can use it to lodge cash and cheques to your account.

It's been a while since I've ever used a bank account, are there any instructions anywhere on how to fill it in and how to deliver it? Also, can anyone make a lodgement to my account with these slips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Yes there should be a text response saying it has been activated. It can take some time. Send it again tomorrow if you don't have a response by then.

Well it's been a whole day with no reply.

ATTENTION FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT WITH ULSTER BANK: It really takes a long time, the first step of actually setting up the account is like an interview process. You need to book an appointment in the branch - I had to wait till the following day. Once you get to the appointment the process of setting the account up takes almost an hour, and you'll be waiting at least two weeks for everything to trickle in the letter box.

But it's all worth it since I now have the handy visa card. (well, I'm still waiting on my feckin' PIN!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

0verblood wrote: »
    Well it's been a whole day with no reply.

ATTENTION FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT WITH ULSTER BANK: It really takes a long time, the first step of actually setting up the account is like an interview process. You need to book an appointment in the branch - I had to wait till the following day. Once you get to the appointment the process of setting the account up takes almost an hour, and you'll be waiting at least two weeks for everything to trickle in the letter box.

But it's all worth it since I now have the handy visa card. (well, I'm still waiting on my feckin' PIN!)

my branch had my account opened in fifteen mins. had my card in 7 days. mabye your particular branch are just a little inept lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To save me trawling though a billion posts, has anyone used their Visa Debit cards with Paypal?

I've tried to link my account with it, and it just keeps erroring on me.

Works perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Works perfectly for me.

Works for me too.:)

I'm trying to link my card to paypal, where can I view the transaction detail with the code I need?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm trying to link my card to paypal, where can I view the transaction detail with the code I need?
    you can view it in your online banking as soon as the transaction shows up. usually 2/3 days.

Random wrote: »
    you can view it in your online banking as soon as the transaction shows up. usually 2/3 days.

I rang and the nice customer service guy got the code for me :)

I signed up online there. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

Bump how long can I expect to hear from them after signing up online?

It can take 3 weeks or more.

You are better off going into a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Bump how long can I expect to hear from them after signing up online?

If you go intonyour branch or any branch they can have signed up and online in full in 5 mins.

Cheers. It came today. I don't have much proof of address vis-a-vis bills. I might have a bank statement but not sure if it's from the last 6months. Any suggestions on what to do when you don't have proof of address? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cheers. It came today. I don't have much proof of address vis-a-vis bills. I might have a bank statement but not sure if it's from the last 6months. Any suggestions on what to do when you don't have proof of address? :/

Ask them if the letter they sent you will do. It was good enough for PTSB when i opened an account there. You should really do all this in branch to be honest, save yourself time. I was in an and out of my ulster branch in 10 mins and had the visa debit in 7 days, i hadnt lived in ROI for the previous 13 years either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Driving licence [if not already used for identification]
    Electoral register [bank can check]
    Motor insurance certificate

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ask them if the letter they sent you will do. It was good enough for PTSB when i opened an account there. You should really do all this in branch to be honest, save yourself time. I was in an and out of my ulster branch in 10 mins and had the visa debit in 7 days, i hadnt lived in ROI for the previous 13 years either.
    Lovely jubbly I'll try that so. Thanks. I knew there'd be no way that signing up online would replace the good old fashioned face to face in person way.

Advertisement