Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Driving licence [if not already used for identification]
    Electoral register [bank can check]
    Motor insurance certificate

A little late, but you can't use a motor insurance certificate any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mullen07

hi, has anyone got this problem adding a ulsterbank debit card to paypal.

"We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card."

i've double checked and all my info is correct..
    Any ideas :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sb88

Have the debitcard for over a year now, no problems with card acceptance online with paypal, ebay, play.com etc. Booked flights online with a UK airline lately though and the card was only accepted when the Visa credit card option was selected (as opposed to Visa Debit) which added an extra €2 processing charge (not much I know... but its the principle!). Contacted the airline and they say that the charges are applied by their bank are the same as for a credit card because the card was issued in ROI. Can that be correct? Is Visa Debit not internationally recognised as a debit card regardless of issuing country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Had the same problem myself with both the UB card and Halifax when it existed.
    The problem is that their processing software only sees it as a credit card and not debit so they have to process the payment as a credit card. Nothing you can do about it.

That's what's happening, seems to be a software issue with the bank the airline uses. In that case, assuming that ROI Visa Debit cards incur the same lower processing charges as UK/International cards, someone is still pocketing the surplus fees - software issue or not. As I see it, if a UK airline is selling tickets for flights from the ROI in euro, then they should sort it out with whoever is at fault. Can UB do anything about these issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

sb88 wrote: »
    That's what's happening, seems to be a software issue with the bank the airline uses. In that case, assuming that ROI Visa Debit cards incur the same lower processing charges as UK/International cards, someone is still pocketing the surplus fees - software issue or not. As I see it, if a UK airline is selling tickets for flights from the ROI in euro, then they should sort it out with whoever is at fault. Can UB do anything about these issues?

Without trying to sound flippant, no. There are irish companies who charge for debit or credit card payment regardless of the country it was issued in (airtricity springs to mind but they might have updated). Ub can do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Aerlingus and Ryanair also charge high fees for using Visa Debit.

Aerlingus and Ryanair also charge high fees for using Visa Debit.

It's true, I think Ryanair charge the same admin fee regardless of card type (excl. prepaid mastercard)... so they're probably profiting a bit more on debit card transactions over credit card too. Can't remember what sort of fees Aerlingus have but its something similar - both are high.
    Without trying to sound flippant, no. There are irish companies who charge for debit or credit card payment regardless of the country it was issued in (airtricity springs to mind but they might have updated). Ub can do nothing.

To quote the letter I received from the airline:

"...I note that the Visa card used is in fact a Visa Debit card, as you have noted. However, I should advise that as it was issued in the Republic of Ireland, the fees applied by the merchant bank for using the card within the United Kingdom are the same as if using a Visa Credit card"

Clear enough I suppose, just sounded a bit bullcrappy to me! Maybe that's how it works - I wouldn't be too well informed in this area!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

mullen07 wrote: »
    hi, has anyone got this problem adding a ulsterbank debit card to paypal.

"We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card."

i've double checked and all my info is correct..
    Any ideas :confused:

Are you still having this problem linking paypal to your UB debit card?
    I need to find a bank that offers a Visa debit card that paypal will accept as a legitimate visa card.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I was having the same problem as mullen07 and several other users in this topic.
    I called paypal and they said that it was happening because the billing address chosen to add my card didn't match the one registered with Ulster bank.
    I called UB and they confirmed my address, I then tried to add the card again to paypal unsuccessfully.
    I called paypal again and I explained the situation, they clarified that the billing address MUST BE the exact same registered with the bank, including upper case, commas, etc.

I then went into my Paypal profile and added an address for each possible combination of upper case, lower case, comma, dots, etc

At the 3rd attempt of adding my card I choose the address reporting the first line in upper case, and I was finally able to register the card with paypal.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Interesting thread update...

For some undisclosed reason, Ulster Bank decided my Visa Debit was "compromised" and cancelled the card. While not ideal finding this out after me calling them when the card was declined for a small transaction, I have to say they were swift in issuing a replacement card (3 days is pretty fast by any means).

I do wish they told me more about what caused the concern but they were very cagey and would not go into specifics, which kinda leaves me wondering what I need to do differently in future (was it skimmed at an ATM or a dodgy online transaction???). Weird. But they probably have their reasons.

Anyway gripes aside, I have to say I'm impressed with the efficiency in getting the new card out. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

darconio wrote: »
    I called paypal and they said that it was happening because the billing address chosen to add my card didn't match the one registered with Ulster bank.

Thanks a million! Paypal wouldn't accept my card, but then I read this and tweeked the address slightly and it seems to be working now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Well after struggling with PayPal for a while I've managed to get it to accept my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card. I had to put in my address all in capitals and leave the postcode blank. I also put the 'Mr' in front of my name

E.G.
    Address Line 1: 47, MY ROAD
    Address Line 2:
    Town: RATHFARNHAM
    City/State: DUBLIN 14
    Postcode:

It has now accepted my card and charged me 1.50. The charge is appearing on my online statement, the only problem is the description which is supposed to contain the paypal code is blank... I'll wait a few days and see if the description gets updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

WaterWolf wrote: »
    I'll wait a few days and see if the description gets updated.

I am not sure if the online description gets updated, what I did was ring them (Ulster Bank) and they called it out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

WaterWolf wrote: »
    It has now accepted my card and charged me 1.50. The charge is appearing on my online statement, the only problem is the description which is supposed to contain the paypal code is blank... I'll wait a few days and see if the description gets updated.

Mine didn't appear online at first either, I was just going to wait for my usual printed statement to arrive. But I just checked again now and it's there! I guess it just takes a bit of time to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Okay, the code appeared in the online statement after a few days. I've bought something with PayPal now and everything appears to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

These address mismatch errors with Ulster Bank are causing me numerous headaches when buying online as well. I can't wait for AIB to get their VISA debit operation online so I can close my Ulster Bank account.

Also they'll have you calling everyone under the sun before their chargebacks department will lift a finger to help you.

Ulster Bank doesn't offer solutions, only excuses. Bloody waste of time calling them. Honestly you're at the mercy of the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KevoS2009

Hello All.

I applied and was successful in the euro 2012 ballot for tickets with uefa last april. Last week I got an email from uefa saying the money from my card will be debited on Monday coming for the tickets. Im using my ulster bank debit card and was wondering should the money be debited from my card without problems because Im really worried the card will not be accepted even though il have sufficent funds??? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If they accept Visa as a payment method, then there shouldn't be a problem. Is there any reason you think it wouldn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KevoS2009

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If they accept Visa as a payment method, then there shouldn't be a problem. Is there any reason you think it wouldn't work?

have had problems before with applying for united tickets in ballots through this card . Ive been selected as successful in the ballots but for some reason the payments never went through. It wud be heartbreaking if this doesnt go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 hearscheme

I applied online and have filled out the registration pack now but cant find the addressed envelope i got with it, anyone know if the applications should be sent to a local branch or the head office? and what the address is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm setting up a student account with Ulster bank and I'm filling out the application form for it. It's asking me do I want a cash card or a service card? Now I haven't the foggiest what either of them are! Can anyone give me advice on which would be the best to apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I'm setting up a student account with Ulster bank and I'm filling out the application form for it. It's asking me do I want a cash card or a service card? Now I haven't the foggiest what either of them are! Can anyone give me advice on which would be the best to apply for?

A cash card is basically where you can take out money at atm's and thats pretty much it. A service card will allow the same but will also allow you to pay for goods and services over the counter and online at home and abroad.

Last i looked a cash card was free to use, a service or debit card is E5 annual duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

daithijjj wrote: »
    A cash card is basically where you can take out money at atm's and thats pretty much it. A service card will allow the same but will also allow you to pay for goods and services over the counter and online at home and abroad.

Last i looked a cash card was free to use, a service or debit card is E5 annual duty.

Someone could correct me here, but I'm pretty sure that if you use a Cash Card in an ATM then it's €2.50 annual fee and for a Service Card it's €2.50 if you only use it in an ATM or €5 if you use it to buy things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

RayCarley wrote: »
    Someone could correct me here, but I'm pretty sure that if you use a Cash Card in an ATM then it's €2.50 annual fee and for a Service Card it's €2.50 if you only use it in an ATM or €5 if you use it to buy things as well.

You made me look :pac:

Government Stamp Duty is payable on debit cards as follows;
    €2.50 is paid where cards have been used at ATMs only.
    €2.50 is paid where cards have been used at Point of Sale only.
    €5 is paid where cards have been used at ATMs and at Point of Sale

It doesnt point out if theres a charge for cash card annually.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/your-card.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Went for the service card, seems better for only €2.50 a year extra, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

The form is actually wrong, you will be able to get a debitCARD or a serviceCARD, both of which are pretty much the same except with a debitCARD your account will always be checked to see if you have the funds to spend in shops. Both can be used at ATMs, in shops and on the internet. The 'fee' is actually Stamp Duty paid to the Government and is payable according to how you use the card. If you only use the card at ATMs or only in shops/internet you will pay 2.50 euro and if you use it in both you will pay 5.00 euro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I had to order a new card, because the chip stopped working in my other one. My new card says its a Cashplus card, but my old one just said Debitcard. Whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, anyone still facing the issue with registering Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards on Paypal?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread, anyone still facing the issue with registering Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards on Paypal?

Registered my old one years ago and it ran out in February. Got the new one, registered without problem. So there hopefully shouldn't be an inherent problem.

Advertisement