Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

turgon wrote: »
    Amazon.com and Play.com have both rejected by new Ulster Bank Visa Debit. Never had a problem with my Halifax one so Im surprised.

Hmm, paypal.com also wouldn't verify my Visa Debit card from Ulster bank. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you tried using it under "Visa" and not "Visa Debit" - many of these sites only recognise UK Visa Debit cards as "Visa Debit" and may assume that the number you're entering is a credit card number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Im going to call the bank later on about it.

On Amazon.com there is no option for Visa Debit, its only Visa. They rejected it twice by the way (I re did it to make sure it wasnt me making typos).

Positive Update
    Entropay.com have just accepted it! I got one of those "Verified By Visa" frames where you have to enter a username and password. The first time though you have to register a Verified by Visa account. I have seen this previously with my mothers credit card on Vodafone.ie

Going to check Amazon again to see if it has changed.

EDIT: Amazon have rejected it again.

Reading elsewhere, it seems others with RBS/Natwest cards in the UK are having issues similar to this. Probably a case of some card processers not recognising the new numbers yet.

I'd imagine that'll smooth out over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Probably a case of some card processers not recognising the new numbers yet.

I was thinking it was something like this.

This is the point where I crawl back to Halifax then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Did you call the bank? You might just have to use it at an atm first before it works online. That happened with my halifax one. Otherwise, move to halifax cos my visa debit works every online with them. It's great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Used my card today in Tesco - worked fine. However, I noticed it came up on the Chip and Pin device as 'VISADEBIT' rather than just 'Visa', which suprised me - but I'm sure it would work if the shop was just set up for Visa CC and not both Visa CC and Visa Debit

Most, if not all, terminals can distinguish between Visa and Visa Debit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Same :(

Paypal should fix that pretty quick right?

Same :(

Paypal should fix that pretty quick right?

Hopefully!

Have you tried to use your card anywhere else online? I hope that it's a problem with paypal and not a problem with the Visa Debit card!

• Advertisement

Hopefully!

Have you tried to use your card anywhere else online? I hope that it's a problem with paypal and not a problem with the Visa Debit card!
    I havent tried. The 2 places i want to buy things online atm both require paypal

I would assume its a Paypal problem. Visa debit cards would all be similar so it should just be a matter of Paypal getting around to authorising Ulster Bank's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How far do you get with it? Im guessing it wont even get as faar as charging the €1.50 to the account?

I have never needed to have my visa debit connected to paypal but just done it ok upto as far as entering the 4 digit pin. Will take a day or so to see it on my transactions.

Davy wrote: »
    How far do you get with it? Im guessing it wont even get as faar as charging the €1.50 to the account?

I have never needed to have my visa debit connected to paypal but just done it ok upto as far as entering the 4 digit pin. Will take a day or so to see it on my transactions.

Yes it won't charge the €1.50 to my account. When I go to verify/confirm the card, it says it can't do that, and to make sure the details are correct (which they are). If then adds that if this still fails, use a different card :rolleyes:

Otherwise I'm quite impressed with the Visa Debit card. Have used it flawlessly at point of sale - it doesn't take aslong to process as I thought it would (but this is probably more to do with the POS system rather than the card)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I'm not too happy with my Ulster Visa Debit. It's been rejected in 2 shops (Supervalu and another one I can't remember) . I can't get cashback in any of the places I've used it. I know it's probably the readers that need updating - but you'd think Ulster would liaise with the companies before they rolled ou the new cards?
    I haven't used it online yet.

Just entered the 4 digit code into paypal, now my visa debit is fully verified :)

Halifax 1
    Ulster bank 0
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I guess il wait before opening a current acc in ulster then. Halifax has never let me down yet, sounds like ulsters debit card is having issues. I have to go xmas shopping soon:eek:, not worth the heartache changing. And anyway, i like halifax, better opening hours and never a queue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I've been using Halifax Debit card online and in shops now for over a year.
    No problem with paypal payments, although one particular paypal transaction I could not complete with the VISA and had to choose my mastercard CC. 99% of paypal transactions were fine choosing the VISA though. The cashback situation is not great, but this is down to the retailer in a lot of cases. They won't even try and choose cashback option on the machines and incorrectly assume VISA debit cards cannot do cashback. I have stopped asking, and just use the card to pay for 99% of my purchases now.
    Also, the car parking machines in the LUAS car park won't accept my VISA debit card for payment. they will accept a Mastercard though. hmmm...
    Other than those couple of instances the experience has been great, especially when travelling in USA and Europe.
    I don't see how the Ulster Debit card could be much different as they areusing the same clearing procedure as the Halifax card. I think when VISA debit become more popular in this country the retailers will recognise them more and understand that they have the same functionality as a LASER card.

I'm impresseed so far.

It was worked everywhere in POS transactions (I've only tried 5 places.. but it has worked flawlessly each time).

Despite Paypal being unable to verify my card, I was able to purchase goods off eBay with it (through Paypal).

Despite Paypal being unable to verify my card, I was able to purchase goods off eBay with it (through Paypal).
    Oh? I tried to buy from DealExtreme and it rejected the card giving an odd error (not an error code!)

CC.png

Did you try normal paypal checkout, rather then the express checkout?

• Advertisement

Oh? I tried to buy from DealExtreme and it rejected the card giving an odd error (not an error code!)

As far as I know, some places require the card to be verified before it works. True, it worked for me unverified on eBay but it was only for the value of £20 (~€23.50) - perhaps it only works unverified up to a certain amount.

Davy wrote: »
    Did you try normal paypal checkout, rather then the express checkout?
    Yep, no luck there either.

Is this Paypal being slow recognising the card or Ulster Bank doing something funy? I would have thought it was a standard procedure for banks bringing out a Visa Debit card to get their card to work with Paypal, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

turgon wrote: »
    Amazon.com and Play.com have both rejected by new Ulster Bank Visa Debit. Never had a problem with my Halifax one so Im surprised.

Argh I'm having the same problem! I need to buy th book pronto as its for college, hopefully Ulster Bank will sort it out soon.

Has anyone asked them about it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 -MrT-

So its kinda obvious now that Ulster Visa Debit Card is not working with services that require verification such as PayPal.

Another important issue with all Visa Debit cards are additional charges with Ryanair. And on that note I present you with some confirmed info:

"Ryanair News

News Release
    RYANAIR ALTERS DEBIT CARD CHARGES

VISA ELECTRON REMAINS FREE OF CHARGE

Ryanair today (Friday 4th July) announced that with immediate effect the fee for debit card payment will be increased to €5 per person, per sector to bring it into line with the Ryanair’s credit card charges. This amendment is required by Ryanair’s credit card providers who will not permit any cost differential between debit card and credit card payments.

As part of this agreement, Ryanair has secured the continuing agreement that Visa Electron will continue for the foreseeable future to be the only free of charge payment method, and Ryanair will continue to promote Visa Electron as its favoured/free payment mechanism for all passengers making bookings or purchasing services on www.ryanair.com

Speaking today Ryanair’s Daniel De Carvalho said:

“We regret that the credit card company rules require us to levy the same charge for debit cards as we do for credit cards, however we will continue to urge all Ryanair passengers to opt for the Visa Electron card which will continue for the foreseeable future and by agreement with Visa to be an entirely free of cost payment method on www.ryanair.com. The good news is that more passengers are now using Visa Electron than debit cards and we hope that this rapid growth in Visa Electron payments will continue”."

Source: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=08&month=jul&story=cst-en-040708

Also:

Recently Ryanair were taken to court in Germany over their credit card charges which are £10 per person for a return flight. On cheap flights – these credit card fees can often cost more than the flight tickets especially on those rare £1 flights.. For frequent flyers the extra costs can soon mount up.
    The German court deemed that the Ryanair imposed charge was “inadmissible” unless the airline also offered a charge-free method of payment. Ryanair in their defence say thay do offer a free option if customers book with a Visa Electron card.
    Where can you get a Visa Electron card?
    Well – the Visa Electron is not that easy to obtain for Irish residents.
    You could open a bank account with Halifax in Spain (you can do it while living in Ireland). Halifax will isue you with a Visa Electron card.
    Another option which has been discussed in several online Irish forums – is to use Entropay. Entropay provide a virtual pre-paid credit card (Visa Electron) . Their parent company is Ixaris Systems Ltd and it is certified by the UK Financial Services Authority (FSA) to issue electronic money for EntroPay. Irish and UK residents can sign up to Entropay.
    When you sign up for EntroPay just make sure you select Sterling / GBP as your currency otherwise your virtual card will not be recognised as a Visa Electron card. Irish residents may be asked to supply proof of identity by email (such as a copy of your passport). Also – when asked for postcode just enter xxxxxx or EIRE.

After registering for an Entropay card you just load it with money from your “main” credit or debit card as and when you need it. There is a 4.95% charge on each amount loaded onto an EntroPay Virtual Card. So it’s probably not worth using Entropay if the Ryanair tickets cost more than about £200 because the Entropay loading fee will be more than the normal Ryanair credit card fee. Great for those cheap flights though!

More good news is that Aer Lingus also don’t charge a credit card booking fee if you use Visa Electron.

Note : If you ever need to withdraw funds from the EntroPay Account back to your personal credit/debit card they charge a £3 GBP fee.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 13th, 2009"

Source: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/visa-electron-and-ryanair-credit-card-charges.html

I hope my post will open your eyes to other hidden issues associated with Visa Debit Card.

You realise that none of that stuff is news, and has all been discussed before on this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 -MrT-

Sorry I didn't know. I only red this thread. Still I think its handy to have this info summarized on this thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

To avoid the ryanair booking charge

use this

http://www.entropay.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I have recently received my new Ulster Bank Visa Debit card, and whilst I have had no issues with it, when using it for over the counter purchases, cashback and ATM usage, when I try to link it and confirm it on my PayPal account, PayPal replies:

"We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card."

I have just phoned PayPal support about this issue. I used to work in the credit card payment industry and am 99% sure that the problem here is to do with the PAN range of this new card not being updated on the PayPal system. The PAN number is the first 6 digits of the card.

Everytime a card issuer or bank issue a new card, they notify the clearing systems of the new card type and PAN ranges for valid cards. Obviously, this last bit has not yet been done by PayPal.

Ignore the face that Halifax Visa debit cards work fine on Paypal - they will have a different PAN range (i.e. first 6 digits of the Halifax cards will be different to those on the new Ulster Bank Visa debit cards).

I told the PayPal support person to reolve this issue immediately. I am expecting an email re same from PayPal later today. PayPal did admit that there was an issue on their end and that they would rectify it asap.

Hope this is helpful.

Ciaran

when I try to link it and confirm it on my PayPal account, PayPal replies:

"We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card."

The same thing happens with my card as well, and I don't think I am the only one. Thanks for calling them! Post here if you get a reply from them as I would be interested in making sure it gets fixed.
    I have just phoned PayPal support about this issue. I used to work in the credit card payment industry and am 99% sure that the problem here is to do with the PAN range of this new card not being updated on the PayPal system. The PAN number is the first 6 digits of the card.

Everytime a card issuer or bank issue a new card, they notify the clearing systems of the new card type and PAN ranges for valid cards.

Oh, I never knew about the PAN system at all! If Paypal hasn't updated their system yet, can we expect a lot of other sites to encounter problems with the UB Visa Debit card, as they mightn't have their systems updated to the new PAN either?

Thanks for ringing them anyway. I was getting worried that it was just me that was unable to verify the card - I'm glad it's not and I hope it's fixed soon.

The UB Visa Debit has worked everywhere I have tried over the counter (although I haven't tried to get cashback - I heard this was problematic with Visa Debits as shopkeepers think they are Credit Cards)

EDIT: It seems to be working now! I didn't get the error message, but instead got a page showing me how to verify my card by copying the 4-digit number from my statement. It said my card has been charged €1.50. My 'Available Balance' on Online banking has been reduced by €1.50 so it seems to be working. Now I just have to wait a day or two for the transaction to appear on the online banking.

Thanks again for ringing, WicklowRover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Interesting.

I have now logged 3 calls with PayPal technical support and 2 calls with Ulster Bank card support.

Ulster Bank are not 'taking ownership' of this issue, claiming that the problem is with PayPal. Likewise, Paypal are saying the issue is with my card supplier, namely Ulster Bank.

I am getting increasingly more pissed off right now, as I have recently committed to 2 purchases on eBay, and am unable to make payment for these items, owing to the total inefficiency of the technical support of Ulster Bank.

I am approx 3 months from realising a considerable amount of money - Ulster Bank would want to pull up their socks if they so much as think that I will lob said wealth into their financial institution.

Advertisement