Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Sorry Timbuk2 - I didn't actually answer your questions, as I got carried away with my own issues with UB!!

For the most part, when a new credit or debit card is rejected by any retailer (online or otherwise), it will be down to the fact that the PAN range hasn't been updated by said retailer. 9 times out of 10, it is up to the card supplier (bank) to release this information to ALL of the card clearing houses.

In Ireland, there are 3 card payment clearing houses (AFAIK), namely:

- elavon (Bank of Ireland)
    - AIB
    - Ulster Bank/RBS

there is a standard procedure in situ between all financial institutions when releasing a new card. Obviously, RBS/Ulster Bank have screwed up big time, with their new Visa debit card. I will notify this group on my progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Got my Ulster Bank Debit Card a few weeks ago and like most people here it didn't work online. However, since I got it €3 had been deducted from my accounts "available balance" without any explanation. The the other day I tried to use the card online again twice and failed, and when I next checked another €2 had been deducted. Strange.

Ok - here is the update for today.

I have just received a lengthy email from my Ulster Bank "Branch support team" in relation to my problem with the Visa Debit/PayPal issue.....

They (UB) claim that the problem is with PayPal's clearing house, and not with Ulster Bank.......I tend to agree, as I have already made a few other, non-PayPal, online purchases.

I am going to phone PayPal support again (4th call today), and eat them out of it. Their technical support is a complete joke. This time I will threaten them with legal action, as no-one in PayPal is taking heed of my calls.

If I didn't know any better, I reckon PayPal is controlled by Fianna Fail - that is how inefficient they are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

WicklowRover, is Paypal still not working for you? It's working for me now. I was able to confirm my card - well I'm still waiting on it to appear in the online statement, but it charged my card €1.50, which it wasn't able to do until you rang them first!

Nope, still no joy - I deleted the card and re-entered all of the card details again.

I'm getting very angry about this.

• Advertisement

Timbuk2, did you enter the CVV code on Paypal when registering your new card? If so, did you just enter the last 3 digits?

I've been on the phone to Paypal support for 45 minutes now, and getting nowhere with them - "Sir, there is a problem with your card - our system says it is not a valid credit/debit card".

Odd that, since I used it in Sainsbury's earlier today in Newry, as well as in a restaurant, and booked flights earlier with it.

Paypal is wrecking my head.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

On the signature strip of my card, there is 7 dgits. The first four are the last four digits of my card, then there is a space, then there is 3 digits. This is the number I entered as my CVV number.

I have heard of issues arising with verifying cards in Paypal due to addresses - entering Road as Rd. or Paypal's need for postal codes. I just enter EIRE.

Timbuk2 - yes, I have done all of this - still no joy - this new Visa debit card has the exact same address as an older Ulster Bank Visa card that I successfuly used on Paypal for years.

I've been researching online - there seems to be a lot of people experiencing the same problem - I reckon it has to do with the PAN/BIN range not yet being accepted - namely, the 1st 6 digits of the card number (which identifies the bank and crad type). Mine is 431932.

Paypal don't seem to care about this issue one little bit, despite all of my calls to their technical support helpdesk.

I've been researching online - there seems to be a lot of people experiencing the same problem - I reckon it has to do with the PAN/BIN range not yet being accepted - namely, the 1st 6 digits of the card number (which identifies the bank and crad type). Mine is 431932..

That's strange - my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card's first 6 digits are 431931 - and it works on Paypal (only since you called them the first time though).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

That's strange - my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card's first 6 digits are 431931 - and it works on Paypal (only since you called them the first time though).

Mine won't work and the first 6 digits are 431932 - the same as WicklowRover's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nothing unusual about having the different first 6 digits. UB probably have one assigned for different kinds of accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi all,

UB's Visa Debit help desk have been made aware of this tread and they've looked into all the concerns raised. There is a major effort on UB's part to tackle all issues raised with the new cards and there hoping to fix all the issues that are being raise. The best thing to do is call your branch and make a complaint about what ever is wrong with your card.

As for the different numbers at the start of the cards, there are 2 types of the new card, so hence the 2 sets of numbers at the start of the cards.

Again, as always most of the problems are around retailers not taking that cards and online stores not having their systems up to date. I've got customers telling me that some shops do not take Visa Debit!!!!, to other saying that the new chip is too small for their chip and pin machines to read.

RBS have spent alot of time trying to get this right and its was obvious there was going to be problems with the new cards, so believe me when you ring your branch there is one person there fully trained to sort out your issues.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that, unclebill98.

I've never had any trouble with the card being accepted in shops. Everywhere I go, it worked perfectly (although I've only used it in about 12 different places - but 100% acceptance).

It's true that most shopkeepers probably don't know what a Visa Debit card is, but you don't need to tell them that you have a Visa Debit Card. I just say "Can I pay by Visa?" or even "Can I pay by card?". AFAIK, there is no need to tell the shopkeeper what card you are using, as the machine automatically picks it up (it says VISADEBIT for the UB Visa Debit Card).

Well from customer feedback, some of the shops are looking at the card and not seeing a Lazer symbol and of course most of the shops have not seen that type of card etc and hence the comments. It does seem to be more or a rural thing tbh.

Sure even when someone hands it to me in the bank your thinking for a second, this is not a UB card! Cause its only less than 10% of customers have it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Thanks for all the help unclebill98.

I'm just wanted to know if UB are completely changing over to the new cards or can I still get a Laser card? I need to buy some things online for college now and this whole fiasco isn't really helping.

Nope, all new cards are Visa Debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

This sounds similar to the problems Halifax have had (and continue to have) with their Visa Debit. They gave the same reason for transactions not going through...ie. retailers/e-tailers not updating their visa terminals to include the new numbers...

All retailers sould give you a reason code stating why the transaction could not be completed. This can be then give to your bank and you'll then find out the real reason.

9/10 times its the retailers end that causes the problem.

All retailers sould give you a reason code stating why the transaction could not be completed. This can be then give to your bank and you'll then find out the real reason.

9/10 times its the retailers end that causes the problem.
    Good to know. Will ask for the reason code next time I order oil as they couldnt process last year or this year! 3 times a charm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jackster55

Hi all,
    Is everyone entitled to this visa debit card or is it only those who have a laser card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Just tried buying something on ebay, wouldn't accept my card.
    Paypal won't accept my card either.

First 6 digits are 431932

I have bought train tickets online so I know the card works.

Any ideas?

jackster55 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is everyone entitled to this visa debit card or is it only those who have a laser card?

Everyone is entitled, if u ring ur branch they will send u one out asap

Just thinking about this...the UB issue might actually end up helping us halifax customers. There are a lot more UB customers out there so retailers are going to be a lot more inclined to update their visa setup if you a bigger minority of customers are being affected..

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Just thinking about this...the UB issue might actually end up helping us halifax customers. There are a lot more UB customers out there so retailers are going to be a lot more inclined to update their visa setup if you a bigger minority of customers are being affected..

I'd say this is true. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next Aldi started to accept cards other than Laser (their Laser-only policy is ridiculous).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'd say this is true. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next Aldi started to accept cards other than Laser (their Laser-only policy is ridiculous).

I'd like to see that, and lidl too. Maybe we should start a campaign to the head offices :p

OK, well, the issue with Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards not being accepted by online retailers is, as far as I can see, based on reports on this link is:

cards beginning with 431932 are NOT being accepted
    cards beginning with 431931 are being accepted.

Only PayPal can resolve this issue - additionally, someone who works in Ulster Bank card payments could make direct contact with the likes of PayPal and tell them to sort this issue out.

@g brain science!!

I wonder could we ask them to re-issue us with new cards, because this is a complete joke. Anyone know who's fault it is??? I don't think its UB as I can use my card to buy some stuff online. Its only been PayPal and eBay that are causing me problems

Someone earlier stated that Ulster Bank were 'aware of this thread', hence why I have categorically explained the problem..

Yes, my card works fine for some online purchases, but not on PayPal.

Ulster Bank & PayPal - SORT IT OUT.

Hi folks,

there are 2 different types of cards, depending on your status as to which one you can have. I'll dig up some info and I'll try best explain the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Anywhere I've tried still won't do cashback on it (tesco included) and my local Supervalu still won't take it at all??

Advertisement