Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

Rang the credit card hotline anyway and the first thing I was asked was my credit card number :D She couldn't help me so now I've been transferred to Anytime Banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Rang the credit card hotline anyway and the first thing I was asked was my credit card number :D She couldn't help me so now I've been transferred to Anytime Banking.

Same thing happened to me. Then when I put in my account details I was told that it was incorrect

Anytime Banking couldn't help me either. She just said maybe PayPal won't work with Visa Debit? I didn't know about this but surely it does? I've no more numbers to try except that I asked for the address of head office in Dublin. Maybe a letter would help?

The general concensous here is that PayPal need to update their system. Don't know the details of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Emailed and received this answer from PayPal. Did not work for me but maybe it will work for some. In my 'View Limits' page I did not have the option ‘Receiving Limit per year’.

I informed them of this thread but I doubt they looked at it...

Hope this helps, if any one else has any ideas please post...

Thanks.

Linking and confirming your card is really easy. Here's how:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at http://www.paypal.co.uk/
    2. Click on the ‘View Limits’ link on your ‘Account Overview’ page.
    3. Tick the box next to ‘Receiving Limit per year’ then click on ‘Lift
    limits’.
    4. Select the ‘Link your card’ link. If you have already linked the card
    click ‘Start process to confirm your card’.
    5. Click ‘Save and Continue’.

When you click ‘Save and Continue’, you authorise us to charge your card.
    Don’t worry though! You will be reimbursed for the amount. Your card will
    be charged £1 exactly and we will also send you a unique, randomly
    generated four-digit PayPal code.

After two to three business days, you should be able to see the charge on
    your online card statement. Alternatively you can wait for your next paper
    statement. You will find the four-digit PayPal code, next to or near the £1
    charge on your statement. In the item description, the code will be printed
    next to the word 'PAYPAL'.

Once you have the details from your statement, you can then confirm your
    card by following these steps:

2. Click 'Confirm my debit or credit card' in the ‘Notifications’ box.
    3. Enter the required information.
    4. Click 'Submit'.

• Advertisement

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Emailed and received this answer from PayPal. Did not work for me but maybe it will work for some. In my 'View Limits' page I did not have the option ‘Receiving Limit per year’.

I informed them of this thread but I doubt they looked at it...

Hope this helps, if any one else has any ideas please post...

Thanks.

Linking and confirming your card is really easy. Here's how:

2. Click on the ‘View Limits’ link on your ‘Account Overview’ page.
    3. Tick the box next to ‘Receiving Limit per year’ then click on ‘Lift
    limits’.
    4. Select the ‘Link your card’ link. If you have already linked the card
    click ‘Start process to confirm your card’.
    5. Click ‘Save and Continue’.

When you click ‘Save and Continue’, you authorise us to charge your card.
    Don’t worry though! You will be reimbursed for the amount. Your card will
    be charged £1 exactly and we will also send you a unique, randomly
    generated four-digit PayPal code.

After two to three business days, you should be able to see the charge on
    your online card statement. Alternatively you can wait for your next paper
    statement. You will find the four-digit PayPal code, next to or near the £1
    charge on your statement. In the item description, the code will be printed
    next to the word 'PAYPAL'.

Once you have the details from your statement, you can then confirm your
    card by following these steps:

2. Click 'Confirm my debit or credit card' in the ‘Notifications’ box.
    3. Enter the required information.
    4. Click 'Submit'.

Is this after u verify ur card because I don't have this option on my View Limits page. All I get is Verify To Lift Limits. And I haven't been able to verify this

No I couldn't verify. I think this email is a standard answer, probably didn't even read my email fully. :confused:

No I couldn't verify. I think this email is a standard answer, probably didn't even read my email fully. :confused:

Did what you said and still got the following message:
    We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card.

getting the same message

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

same as cant add card.

the error message i get is "This credit card has been denied by the bank that issued your credit card. For details on why your card was denied, please contact your credit card issuer's customer service department. Or, you may want to try adding a different creditcard."

• Advertisement

Sent another email, will keep ye updated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

Are you saying that when the PIN arrives and I withdraw money with the new Servicecard from an ATM I'll be charged? :mad:

I don't know where or how rumours start about bank charges but I have checked with my Ulster Bank branch and they say the position is as follows:

There are no charges for using an Ulster Bank Republic of Ireland servicecard, cashcard or debitcard at ATMs in the Republic of Ireland or in euroland to withdraw euros. If a Republic of ireland card is used in the UK to withdraw sterling a charge will be made for using ATMs that DO NOT belong to Ulster Bank, NatWest or Royal Bank of Scotland. If the sterling ATM belongs to one of these banks there will be no charge. If the card is used in other countries abroad e.g. USA, Australia, anywhere in Asia or Africa, etc; there will be a charge.

If the servicecard, cashcard or debit card is issued by an Ulster Bank branch in Northern Ireland to withdraw sterling in the UK no charge will be made by Ulster Bank (the owner of the ATM might levy a charge but the ATM will tell you). If an Ulster Bank Northern Ireland card is used in the Republic of Ireland at ATMs that DO NOT belong to Ulster Bank and Easycash, there will be a charge. If the ATM belongs to Ulster Bank or Easycash there will be no charge. If the card is used in other countries abroad e.g. in Europe, USA, Australia, anywhere in Asia or Africa, etc; there will be a charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Same problem. Really ****ing hate Paypal.

I emailed Paypal about this and got:

Thanks for contacting PayPal. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you
    with your query that you are having difficulty verifying your card ending
    in xxxx.

We’re sorry your bank or card issuer has refused the verification of your
    card.

The only information that we received is that the card provider has
    declined usage of this card with PayPal. We can only advise that you
    contact the card's issuing bank Online Authorization Department for more
    information regarding the denial, as a resolution can only be provided by
    them.

The refusal of this card is not a reflection of your credit worthiness. We
    suggest trying another card in the system. Thanks for your understanding.

Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us
    back. Thank you for being a valuable member of the PayPal community.

Sincerely,
    Maris
    PayPal European Services
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Is there any way I can forward this email to Ulster bank? I can't find any email address for anyone in Ulster bank. What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I am now despising PayPal to the extent of wanting to declare Jihad upon them!

Their pathetic excuses, blaming the card issuer (namely ULSTER BANK) is total w4nk. The problem is with PayPals systems - they simply have not yet accepted or registered the already released new BIN numbers of the new Ulster Bank Visa debit card - this is NOTHING to do with Ulster Bank - i.e. the card issuer.

Since I got my Visa debit card from Ulster Bank I have....

....bought Ryanair tickets online
    ....bought concert tickets online
    ....made other various online purchases (not via PayPal obviously)
    ....made retail purchases in Ireland & the UK (over the counter)
    ....have been offered and received Cashback
    ....booked a hotel online in Prague
    ....used various ATM's to withdraw cash

SORT yourselves out PayPal - you are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

I have the same problem with PayPal, But was horrified to find that Amazon.co.uk wont accept it at the moment either. I suppose its just a waiting game for the banks/merchants to update their systems to recognize the 431932 cards?

Yep Amazon just refused my card too.

UB Visa Debit Card -> Entropay -> PayPal is working fine though and isn't too expensive for small transfers.

Yep Amazon just refused my card too.

UB Visa Debit Card -> Entropay -> PayPal is working fine though and isn't too expensive for small transfers.

Is that really any better than using a 3V card though? 3V cards for certain amounts are cheaper(such as €100, and really anything over that).

I used 3V a while back can't remember the charges. Entropay is 4.95% to transfer. So 0.75 charge for €15. Finding a shop in Galway that sold 3V wrecked my head, so gave up...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

I have to say I think entropay is very useful, but I was buying about €200 worth of Christmas gifts yesterday and there was no way I was gona pay €9.90 (4.95%) in fees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I don't remember a waiting period for my Halifax Visa to become recognised? In fact I put it onto my paypal list of cards immediately and use it as my default without any problems. Hope the UB Visa gets sorted for that quickly.

3V cards are €2.50 for €100 and under, and €5 for €100 or over. Unless you're buying vouchers €50 or under, they're a better deal. Only thing it costs more to transfer between vouchers(though less to reclaim).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

So far i've not had any problems using this online, Amazon included
    though i haven't tried paypal yet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Does anybody else get a €0.25 charge on online purchases?

It definitely doesn't happen for over the counter purchases. However, I purchased something from iTunes, and it added on €0.25 charge, and the same for eBay (via Paypal).

However, when I booked a driving test on drivingtest.ie it didn't apply a charge of €0.25. Does anybody know why this is?

Does anybody else get a €0.25 charge on online purchases?

It definitely doesn't happen for over the counter purchases. However, I purchased something from iTunes, and it added on €0.25 charge, and the same for eBay (via Paypal).

However, when I booked a driving test on drivingtest.ie it didn't apply a charge of €0.25. Does anybody know why this is?

Maybe some kind of charge for paying in foreign currencies? Just a total stab in the dark :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Great news, MBNA starting charging new fees from Nov (they will charge you for using it to bet or to buy on Ebay cash advance fee) so its great to have a visa debit card that does not have these fees.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Maybe some kind of charge for paying in foreign currencies? Just a total stab in the dark :o

This is probably correct. Although I do have my iTunes account set to Euro, but the transactions go through as iTunes GB London.

This is probably correct. Although I do have my iTunes account set to Euro, but the transactions go through as iTunes GB London.

Fcuk's sake I got charged €0.25 for the €1.50 charge PayPal makes to confirm the card!!! This never happened with Halifax's Debit card.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Fcuk's sake I got charged €0.25 for the €1.50 charge PayPal makes to confirm the card!!! This never happened with Halifax's Debit card.....

Ulster bank have free banking on their current accounts so i cant see how they can charge this, i would be getting on to them pronto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

To Madalynn Inexpensive Guava - Paypal reimburse this €0.25 cent to you.

Advertisement