Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

To Madalynn Inexpensive Guava - Paypal reimburse this €0.25 cent to you.

They reimburse the €1.50, why would they reimburse the €0.25? Seems like a transactional charge from UB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I meant to say, you get the 1.50 reimbursed - take it up with your bank - this thread is in relation to PayPal NOT confirming certain VISA debit cards.

I meant to say, you get the 1.50 reimbursed - take it up with your bank - this thread is in relation to PayPal NOT confirming certain VISA debit cards.

Its actually nothing to do with paypal going by the thread title ;)

On my online banking it says "CHARGE 0.25" after the PayPal amount. Think I'll drop into my local branch about it but will probably be met with blank expressions when I mention this PayPal thing :D

Checked the booklet that came with the debit card. Under the section "using the card abroad" for purchases it says there will be a charge of 1% of the transaction fee with a minimum of 0.25c and a maximum of €6. Strangely it has nearly says the same thing written again underneath except this time using purchase fee instead of transaction. So maybe you could get hit with two charges?

I remember Halifax having something similar on their website but I've been using it for months without ever getting charged for worldwide online payments.

What's the point of having a Visa Debit and saying it's great for online purchases when you charge for anything other than a euro transaction seemingly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They always did (and the same with using any card). Most of the time such charges were just incorporated in the final figure. New regulations mean they have to be fleshed out seperately now though.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    They always did (and the same with using any card). Most of the time such charges were just incorporated in the final figure. New regulations mean they have to be fleshed out seperately now though.

I see. The only problem is when I linked and confirmed the Halifax Debit with PayPal I'm 99% sure they didn't charge me anything beyond the €1.50. I think I can go back and check it....

Just checked and I was only charged the €1.50 with Halifax while Ulster charged me €1.75. I also checked the purchases I made with Halifax this month and there's no charge being levied. They give the amount in sterling, the exchange rate and then the amount debited. It all works out even. Theres no charges.

I hope Halifax aren't reading this! Sorry other Halifax'ers :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I just got my montly statement and it shows that I got charged the 25c when I bought a DVD from cdwow.ie! I thought the charge was for transactions abroad!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Animo wrote: »
    I just got my montly statement and it shows that I got charged the 25c when I bought a DVD from cdwow.ie! I thought the charge was for transactions abroad!?

CDwow.ie is in Hong Kong i think.

• Advertisement

Animo wrote: »

lol,, would be better off with a laser card :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Entropay won't work for me at all. I'm stuck without my 3V card so I thought I'd give it a try.

"
    Insufficient Rights

Your account is not currently set up to allow this function.
    Click below to return to the Account Home page."

This is such ****, I need to bid on something ending in 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Davy wrote: »
    lol,, would be better off with a laser card :p

Ya I would, too bad I can't get one from UB now.

Some people might say that 25c is only small but when your buying a DVD that only cost €1.60 and you get charged 25c ontop of that it means I'm paying around an extra 16%.

Wish I could get that laser card now......:(

I have just received another email from PayPal in relation to this issue - I honestly think the people that work there are missing a few chromosomes - they are completely stupid, and are repeating everything they have already said:

"Thank you for contacting PayPal.

I reviewed your account and I see that the card ending in xxxx has been
    added successfully in the account. However, the system can not have it
    linked and confirmed. I strongly suggest that you contact your card
    issuer's Online Authorisations Department for more information on this.

At some stage during the lifetime of your account you may be required to
    link and confirm your debit or credit card. You link your debit or credit
    card by authorising PayPal to charge it a small fee, which we refund to
    your PayPal account once the card is confirmed.

Linking and confirming your card is really easy. Here's how:

blah, blah, blah"

PayPal are incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

paid twice with ulster deb visa card on ebay
    now its imposible plenty money on it but wont work anymore
    it says card invalid add a new/other one

Just keep hassling PayPal - it is their problem - not Ulster Banks.

I suggest everyone with a problem contact them on a daily basis.

They are a f*****g joke - wish there was an alternative to PayPal. Bunch of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

:confused: Card doesn't work with hmv.co.uk either :-|

This is turning into a nasty joke..... Especially with Christmas coming up... I'm looking at paying €50 in entropay fees at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TooSweet

okay so i just got my ulster bank visa debit service card and.... its useless for shopping online. doesnt work with paypal, ebay, play.com to name a few. Does any one know when or how this is gona get amended?

ive rang ulster bank and all i get is the same generic answers u need to go to ulster bank secure.com but when i tell them ive all this done and the card is activated they run out of answers!!

I really need this card to work! the leaflet that comes with it states that you can enjoy the card IMMEDIATELY which as this forum suggests is clearly not the case!

Any body any solutions or ideas as to when this problem will be fixed!!

TooSweet wrote: »
    okay so i just got my ulster bank visa debit service card and.... its useless for shopping online. doesnt work with paypal, ebay, play.com to name a few. Does any one know when or how this is gona get amended?

ive rang ulster bank and all i get is the same generic answers u need to go to ulster bank secure.com but when i tell them ive all this done and the card is activated they run out of answers!!

I really need this card to work! the leaflet that comes with it states that you can enjoy the card IMMEDIATELY which as this forum suggests is clearly not the case!

Any body any solutions or ideas as to when this problem will be fixed!!

I think its just a wait until the merchants update their systems. As far as I know IT IS NOT AN ULSTER BANK PROBLEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Im with Halifax and get cash back some places including M and S. If you need cashback remind the person that its not a credit card and you might get the option. How does UB charges compare to Halifax? I get charged 1.75percent of a foreign currency pos or online sale. Its completly free across europe to use which is great.

• Advertisement

This is NOT an Ulster Bank problem, although I am fairly certain that people working in Ulster Bank Card Services would have contacts in PayPal, HMV, Amazon etc., so that they could speed up the process of getting them to update their systems.

Now, for anyone having issues with PayPal, simply email their support to the following address:

webform@paypal.ie

I have been emailing them and getting the same old ridiculous replies (you must not have entered your card details correctly etc.).

If enough Ulster Bank & Halifax card holders complain via email, they may just do something about it.

If enough Ulster Bank & Halifax card holders complain via email, they may just do something about it.
    Don't count on it LOL

They'll do it in their own time as usual. Hopefully it will be working by Christmas.

I seriously doubt they will have it sorted out by Christmas.

I have been emailing them and getting the same old ridiculous replies (you must not have entered your card details correctly etc.).

Halifax customers dont have any problem with this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Indeed :)

If your desparate to have a card that works for xmas go into halifax with photo id, a utility bill and a smile, you will have a card that works by next friday :) .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm with Ulster Bank, and I don't have any of the problems outlined in this thread :confused:

Verified with Paypal fine. Have made many eBay purchases through Paypal with the UB Visa Debit.

Have made many over the counter purchases - they all went smoothly.

I'm with Ulster Bank, and I don't have any of the problems outlined in this thread :confused:

Verified with Paypal fine. Have made many eBay purchases through Paypal with the UB Visa Debit.

Have made many over the counter purchases - they all went smoothly.

I had the UB Service card and it wouldn't work with PayPal. I went into UB and they disposed of the Service Card and ordered the UB Debit card as a replacement (not as a new card) for me. Works fine. Ordered and paid for my first item yesterday over eBay. I'll be interested to see what charges, if any, are added along with the 25c charge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I had the UB Service card and it wouldn't work with PayPal. I went into UB and they disposed of the Service Card and ordered the UB Debit card as a replacement (not as a new card) for me. Works fine. Ordered and paid for my first item yesterday over eBay. I'll be interested to see what charges, if any, are added along with the 25c charge.

Yes, I also have the Debit Card - it works fine. To be honest, the €0.25 charge doesn't bother me that much. I just got the card to buy things online. It works out cheaper than the annual stamp duty on credit cards, if I opted to get a CC.

Did Ulster Bank have any problem with you asking to change your Service Card for a Debit Card?

Did Ulster Bank have any problem with you asking to change your Service Card for a Debit Card?
    Nope the girl at the information desk actually suggested it when I told her what I had read here. I think it was your posts that I told her about so thanks :)

• Advertisement

Nope the girl at the information desk actually suggested it when I told her what I had read here. I think it was your posts that I told her about so thanks :)

Your welcome! I still can't understand why there would be any difference between the Service Card and the Debit Card, but the Debit card seems to work perfectly! I haven't expierenced any trouble using it, both online and over the counter.

However, another poster mentioned on this thread that the Bank (UB in this case) has to notify the relevant authorities when they issue a new card, so that they learn to recognise the PAN range (I think that's what it's called!)

Does this mean that the UB Visa Debit card might not be recognised if we were to use it abroad? For example, POS machines in the US would not be programmed to recognise Ulster Bank cards, would they?

Advertisement