Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

daithijjj wrote: »
    Indeed :)
    If your desparate to have a card that works for xmas go into halifax with photo id, a utility bill and a smile, you will have a card that works by next friday :) .
    Whats the point of that? I have all my funds in an eSavings account with Ulster bank. I would take at least 3 working days to transfer money between accounts. Might as well just fund your PayPal account directly through the bank...

Bought something on eBay and paid with PayPal. The PayPal invoice was for £33.98 sterling. There were two charges levied by UB. A 37c charge and something else called "ERTF" which was also 37c. I know it's only 74c but it's annoying. I doubt I'll be using the card to make very small payments.

edit:: Apparantly ERTF is "Exchange Rate Transaction Fee"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

johnie89 wrote: »
    Whats the point of that? I have all my funds in an eSavings account with Ulster bank. I would take at least 3 working days to transfer money between accounts. Might as well just fund your PayPal account directly through the bank...

You said ..."im looking at paying 50 euro entropay fees"

And .."hopefully it will work by xmas".

The halifax visa debit wont cost 50 euro and will work as soon as its in your hand. Thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TooSweet

so whats the solution here

do i go into my branch and ask specifically for the Visa debit card to replace the Visa debit Service card???

Is the problem only with the service cards??

Secondly, do ulster bank staff know about this problem?
    I dont want them to look at me like ive four heads

This whole situation has really annoyed me i have to admit regardless of whos fault it is how come stuff like this can never go right.

donal.hunt wrote: »
    so no cheap booking fees for online flights it seems... Wonder if there are any of advantages / disadvantages with the Visa Debit network?
    When booking Ryanair flights just select VISA ELECTRON but use your visa debit card number.... simple...

• Advertisement

Anyways to get back onto the topic at hand. For anyone who's completely lost:confused:I'll explain:

Ulsterbank have stopped issuing Laser cards.

Instead they are issuing cards that use the Visa system for processing.

They are issuing three types of cards:

1) Cashcard - Can be used to withdraw cash at ATMs around the world.

2) Visa Debit Card - Can be used for online purchases without any problems (so far) and also POS transactions and ATMs. (Card numbers start with 4319 31XX)

3) Visa Debit SERVICE Card - Can be used like the like the Visa debit card and in addition can be used as a cheque guarantee card, HOWEVER:

THIS IS THE CARD THAT IS CAUSING ALL THE PROBLEMS
    (Card numbers start with: 4319 32XX)

So I suggest that if you have been issued a service card, that you call up UB and ask for just the regular debit card. Please not you will not be able to Guarantee cheques any more.

When booking Ryanair flights just select VISA ELECTRON but use your visa debit card number.... simple...

This does not work. Been there, tried it several times, failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Don't count on it LOL

They'll do it in their own time as usual. Hopefully it will be working by Christmas.

I really doubt that as well. I've been waiting for about 2 months now, have contacted both parties about the matter. Just ordered a 3V card, can they be used with PayPal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Anyways to get back onto the topic at hand. For anyone who's completely lost:confused:I'll explain:

2) Visa Debit Card - Can be used for online purchases without any problems (so far) and also POS transactions and ATMs. (Card numbers start with 4319 31XX)

3) Visa Debit SERVICE Card - Can be used like the like the Visa debit card and in addition can be used as a cheque guarantee card, HOWEVER:

So I suggest that if you have been issued a service card, that you call up UB and ask for just the regular debit card. Please not you will not be able to Guarantee cheques any more.

I have recieved a new service card (got it on Friday) it has 4319 32 XX etc but has no cheque guarantee facility even though my outgoing one did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

UB Visa Debit cards DO NOT have a cheque guarantee facility.

The banks are doing away with cheque books over the coming year, or so.

• Advertisement

Yes, UB Visa Debit or Service Cards beginning with 4319 32 are the ones causing all of the problems. I wonder, my account is a joint account with my wife - is that what determines whether UB issue a 31 or a 32 card?

Anyway, I have been emailing PayPal, demanding a resolution to this whole problem, and recently received the email reply below - sounds like they (PayPal) are FINALLY accepting that the problem is with them....

"Thank you for contacting PayPal. We are currently updating our systems and, as a result, certain features
    have been affected. This is the reason why you are having difficulty
    linking and confirming your card to your PayPal account. We're aware of
    this issue and we would like to assure you that our technicians are
    actively working to resolve it. I have passed on your information for
    inclusion in any upgrade. I regret any inconvenience this may have caused
    you and appreciate your patience and understanding.

For the meantime, please use a different card to your PayPal account.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal."

Yours sincerely,
    Jamie
    PayPal

but if paypal eventually do something about it, that wont mean these visa debit service cards will be accepted everywhere there supposed to be online

suppose i want to buy off play or amazon im not entirely sure but does every website accept paypal?

regardless, has anyone had any experience of ringing there local branch and asking for the '31' number card?
    will they change the cards or are they reluctant? do acknowledge the problem of the '32 number cards surely at this stage they shud be fully aware of the problems people have with this card

I had to make some Christmas present purchases from Amazon.co.uk and ended up buying a 'virtual' credit card from Entropay.com , using my UB Visa - the set up procedure takes a short while and I had to email them copies of my driving licence, and the charge 4.5% (I think) to top up the card, but this 'virtual' card is accepted on Paypal and on Amazon.

I would guess-timate that once Paypal have sorted out the issues with the '32' card, then all other payment processors will follow suit.

Fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

TooSweet wrote: »
    regardless, has anyone had any experience of ringing there local branch and asking for the '31' number card?
    will they change the cards or are they reluctant? do acknowledge the problem of the '32 number cards surely at this stage they shud be fully aware of the problems people have with this card

Madalynn Inexpensive Guava did this, and the bank didn't have any problem (afaik) with it. I have a '31' card, and I haven't found anywhere that hasn't accepted it, whether it's online, over-the-counter or ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Think I'm gonna get onto my bank and ask to change my card. It works for everything i need except PayPal, which would've been very handy for Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Does anyon know if some outfits charge more for payment by visa debit than for laser - e.g. Ryanair - will there be a higher fee for paying with the new card than there would have been for using the old one?

Cheers

Long Onion wrote: »
    Does anyon know if some outfits charge more for payment by visa debit than for laser - e.g. Ryanair - will there be a higher fee for paying with the new card than there would have been for using the old one?

Cheers

Well in my experience, if there is a difference it is going to be negligible.

Its not going to matter much very soon anyway, the only way your going to be able to get a 'free' admin fee from jan 1st is via a prepaid mastercard and they are only worth getting if you are going to use fairly regularly i think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/dec/05/ryanair-electron-passenger-fees

anyone have any updates on the visa debit card working online?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My UB Visa Debit didn't work to top up my phone on my vodafone account.

First time it has failed to work for me! And I have the 431931 card (the one that works with Paypal!)

I got this error:
    We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please review the error below

There was a problem completing your topup. Please contact your card issuing institution or try again later . We apologise for any inconvenience (MA-PT-45)

My UB Visa Debit didn't work to top up my phone on my vodafone account.

First time it has failed to work for me! And I have the 431931 card (the one that works with Paypal!)

I got this error:
    We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please review the error below

There was a problem completing your topup. Please contact your card issuing institution or try again later . We apologise for any inconvenience (MA-PT-45)

I just topped up no problem with mine! Topped up by a tenner with o2 using the ordinary UB Debit Card (not the Service one). Maybe you entered some details wrongly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

You sure about that? I've had a rather surreal conversation with my branch where they are refusing to issue me with a Cashcard.

I've never had a Laser card but I've been sent an unwanted Visa Debit card and told that my current cashcard will stop working in 21 days. :eek:

I'm bemused: I just want a basic cashcard but Ulster Bank won't let me have it even though they've obviously mistakenly upgraded me to Visa Debit.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Booked a train ticket on irishrail.ie today with my new visa debit card, and noticed that I got charged the €2 credit card fee by irishrail, even though it is a debit card. I understand that there is only 1 visa option in the dropdown rather than 1 for debit and 1 for credit, but it is still annoying when laser transactions do not have this charge associated with them.

I presume this is something to take up with Irish Rail if I was sufficiently bothered by this? I'm not by the way, but I'll probably bother to chase up BOI about sending me out a replacement for my Laser card that expired but I never got a new card for.

Also, I have one of the noon working for paypal cards. I have always funded this through CC anyhow, so it's no big deal, but still a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hungerford wrote: »
    You sure about that? I've had a rather surreal conversation with my branch where they are refusing to issue me with a Cashcard.

I've never had a Laser card but I've been sent an unwanted Visa Debit card and told that my current cashcard will stop working in 21 days. :eek:

I'm bemused: I just want a basic cashcard but Ulster Bank won't let me have it even though they've obviously mistakenly upgraded me to Visa Debit.

You do realise that a Debit card is a cash card, just with extra features (ie, the ability to use it at POS and online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SusieTwo

Hi,

I'm another possessor of the new(ish) UB Visa Debit SERVICECARD that is getting very frustrated that I am still not able to complete purchases online with many merchants (esp Amazon and EBay) in a timely fashion. I've started getting bad feedback on my Ebay account for slow payment cos I've wasted so much time trying to find out the cause of the issue and then had to wait till transferred funds arrived in my Paypal account. Grrr.....

I have sent a complaints email to both the above asking them to get their finger out and update their systems.

By the way, I asked my local branch if they could change me to the 431931... series card but they declined???

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Hi,

I got 2 4319 31 series Visa Debits Cards from UB and have been very pleased.

Works perfectly on ebay, paypal, cd wow, ebid.

However, for one of the cards I couldn't get it to link with Paypal. Tried about 10 times then I changed the address to match the statement address EXACTLY.

Turns out the address the bank has on file is different to how my address is normally written! Anyway it worked now but I was wondering is it because the paypal verifed the address? I always though paypal or any processor cannot confirm the address the card is registered to in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

SusieTwo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm another possessor of the new(ish) UB Visa Debit SERVICECARD that is getting very frustrated that I am still not able to complete purchases online with many merchants (esp Amazon and EBay) in a timely fashion. I've started getting bad feedback on my Ebay account for slow payment cos I've wasted so much time trying to find out the cause of the issue and then had to wait till transferred funds arrived in my Paypal account. Grrr.....

I have sent a complaints email to both the above asking them to get their finger out and update their systems.

By the way, I asked my local branch if they could change me to the 431931... series card but they declined???

They did? What reason did they give? I went into the bank last week and ordered one with them, no problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

hi all, didn't know whether to put this here, in banking, ir ripoff Ireland but here's as good a place as any.

Got a Ulster Bank debit card by visa last week and just checked my statement online.
    Charges coming out of everywhere. There seems to be a an individual charge every time you use it, as well as a charge if you pay for something in a currency that's not euro.

for example(this is copied and pasted from my statement:

DateOrder by Date Type Description Paid in Paid out Balance
    3 Dec 2009 POS 5569 02DEC09 , CDWOW.COM LTD , SURREY, UNITE GB , GBP 2.49, RATE 0.9054, CHARGE 0.25, ERTF 0.25 - 3.25 -€3.25

So for something costing £2.49 sterling I wound up paying €3.25 instead of €2.75.

The charge of .25 goes up for example I paid something for 50 euro and got hit with a 50 cent charge. The ERTF charge seems to be when payign for something in UKP or USD.

this is on every single transaction I made.
    Must say I'm appalled. I had a mastercard before and never had an of these charges besides the usual interest. Nothing like this with my Laser card.

Is this a Visa thing or an Ulster bank thing?
    Completely ridiculous.
    thing is about to get snapped in two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jayteecork wrote: »
    hi all, didn't know whether to put this here, in banking, ir ripoff Ireland but here's as good a place as any.

Moved to Banking, which is the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Is this a Visa thing or an Ulster bank thing?
    Completely ridiculous.
    thing is about to get snapped in two.

Its ridiculous alright, it was highlighted in the main ulster bank visa debit thread. Its an Ulster bank thing, Halifax dont have any charges with the same card thankfully :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Davy wrote: »
    Its ridiculous alright, it was highlighted in the main ulster bank visa debit thread. Its an Ulster bank thing, Halifax dont have any charges with the same card thankfully :)

Got a link to the main Ulster Bank Visa debit card thread.

Advertisement