Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swastikas painted on Sean Russell statue in Fairview Park

Options
  • 29-07-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just wondering is this a new thing? (the symbolism, not the statue)

Cycling past Fairview Park this morning and two swastika symbols have been painted in the plinth of the statue. White with the black symbol in the middle surrounded by red.

It's the same statue that was 'beheaded' in 2005, supposedly because of Russell's connections with Nazi Germany during World War II - see here: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/68249?print_page=true

Not something I'd like to see on a daily basis.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are the swastikas reversed from the Nazi usage?

There is a local moron who likes to write xenophobic slogans on bus shelters in the area with accompanying swastikas (not that he knows they are reversed, I'm sure).

Perhaps he found his way to the park, looking for swan-eating 'Eastern' Europeans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

spurious wrote: »
    looking for swan-eating 'Eastern' Europeans.

That'll be roma gypsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    That'll be roma gypsies.

The swan's are eating the Roma gypsies?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The swan's are eating the Roma gypsies?.

I fcuckin wish!:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's not the same statue that was beheaded. That was eventually taken down a few months back and replaced with this new one. This is the 2nd time that that one has been written on. It was only cleaned about 4 weeks ago.

And no it's not a new thing. It has happened since it was originally erected in the 50's. He's been replaced a few times from funding that is generated by Sinn Fein and other like minded people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I passed it earlier this evening and the swastikas are indeed reversed from the standard Nazi usage. I bet it's our bus shelter defacing local nut who did it.

It hurts my head to think what his politics must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

humberklog wrote: »
    And no it's not a new thing. It has happened since it was originally erected in the 50's. He's been replaced a few times from funding that is generated by Sinn Fein and other like minded people.

The National Graves Association are the spearhead of that project, not SF. http://nga.ie/new_page_45.htm

There is no excuse for vandalism in these years. Even old British statues remain untouched.

gurramok wrote: »
    The National Graves Association are the spearhead of that project, not SF. http://nga.ie/new_page_45.htm

There is no excuse for vandalism in these years. Even old British statues remain untouched.

Thanks for that correction Gurramock.
    I may well be wrong but I thought they had very strong republican leanings? I do know 2 Sinn Fein people that often on about replacing the statue and they were informing me that the WGA were on the case. I, perhaps mistakingly, thought the two organisations were kissing cousins.

I had a thread on this when it was unveiled. I personally find it an artistically hideous statue. Doesn't even scale properly with the plinth.

I thought that the beheaded one was a good Dublin curiosity. The headless figure caused more reflection and thoughts on Ireland as a society then and now. An almost brilliant installation.
    This recent job is awful though. Very poor indeed, but the first spraying was quite effective a few weeks back. This latest one just looks like general vandalism though. It's an eyesore on a eyesore.

Well if they were connected organisations, imagine the uproar :) The WGA are more interested in preserving history of events no matter who was involved than embracing a particular point of view.

Get us some pics of that statue, have not seen it yet in Fairview yet :D

A bit of cctv in the area would help apprehend the vandaliser who seems to have nothing else to do with his/her spare time and is obviously clueless about history.

I will do. I took some on my old 1937 Brownie and they came out very smart. It makes the statue look better than it actually is. Just don't have a scanner that takes such a huge neg. I'm working on it though.

• Advertisement

What i do as per Dub Picture Game is use my N95 cam to take pics :)

Googling got me this pic http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/after-four-years-sean-russell-gets-his-head-back-1756382.html

Have to say, it doesn't look too bad on that pic?

The swastikas look like something that took a while to do. There is the red flag background, the white disc with the swastika painted onto it. It's not a walk-by quick spray with a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

spurious wrote: »
    The swastikas look like something that took a while to do. There is the red flag background, the white disc with the swastika painted onto it. It's not a walk-by quick spray with a can.

Yeah someone posted a photo's of it on another thread:

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss136/seanthegerman/seanthenazi-web.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/261471742/seanthenazi-large.jpg

Personally I'm opposed to the statue but what kind of idiot did this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

thats crazy. you wouldnt know wether its hippies making a statement about russell being a nazi, or neo-nazis making a statement! im so confused..

I was out of the country when this previous vandalism of the statue happened and wasn't aware of it. Perhaps the recent stuff is to cover this up?

As regards the most recent events, the error in the swastikas plus the fact that a number of xenophobic slogans (accompanied by similarly 'wrong' swastikas) appeared on local bus shelters the same night leads me to think it's the same person. This person is able to spell 'foreigner' correctly, thus elevating himself above the average small-minded vandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Those swastikas arent 'wrong' tho. Theyre at the correct angle and the right orientation

For the Nazis, they point the wrong way though, no?

*edit*
    I beg your pardon, you're right. It's the graffiti bus shelter person who has the incorrect ones, not the ones on the memorial.

There is brown paper (or what looks like it) covering the graffiti now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

sean russell is scum. will have to make my way down there over the weekend and 'fix' the monument up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    sean russell is scum. will have to make my way down there over the weekend and 'fix' the monument up ;)

He was an Irish republicand and patriot which is a lot more than you. So you are encouraging vandalising a public monument now yep ? That would make you the scumbag btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

what a load of bull**** you talk morlar. just because someone is a patriot in your mind doesn't make them beyond reproach, sorry to contradict your nationalist bull****, but russell was a pure scumbag, a traitor to humanity and that monument will be removed quite soon let me assure you.

what a load of bull**** you talk morlar.

In every post on this entire forum your level of behaviour speaks for itself. Away home to indymedia.
    just because someone is a patriot in your mind doesn't make them beyond reproach,

'Reproach' is that what it is called thesedays when a bunch of uneducated, hysterical, goons go about vandalising public property ? Desperately trying to find something, anything to be outraged by to put some excitement into your empty exsistence.
    sorry to contradict your nationalist bull****, but russell was a pure scumbag, a traitor to humanity

A traitor to humanity ? Are you for real ? Personally I would not be too fond of him travelling to the Soviet union to raise funds and arms for Ireland but I think you take it too far :)
    and that monument will be removed quite soon let me assure you.

More veiled threats. Detecting a pattern here. Removed by who exactly ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Those swastiga's look the right way around,
    maybe the ones on the bus shelter are not nazi swastiga's? the swastiga as we know it is actually the reverse image of a religious symbol seen mostly in Buddhism that has been around since long before anything of a nazi sort and commonly seen on the graves of Buddhist. the red and white on the statue there is a clear indicator of its nazi intentions but do the bus shelters share the same colour scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ANTIFA if you want to remain here I'd strong advise you to moderate your attitude to this forum and its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Either way I think we should start rounding up minorities

Masada wrote: »
    Those swastiga's look the right way around,
    maybe the ones on the bus shelter are not nazi swastiga's? the swastiga as we know it is actually the reverse image of a religious symbol seen mostly in Buddhism that has been around since long before anything of a nazi sort and commonly seen on the graves of Buddhist. the red and white on the statue there is a clear indicator of its nazi intentions but do the bus shelters share the same colour scheme?

They don't, but the 'East europeans F***off home' and 'F*** off non-Irish' written in the same marker makes me think they're not Buddhist symbols.

Either way I think we should start rounding up minorities

I think the green party have been through enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 northsidetype

Heads up to whoever did this - if you fancy giving an interview, anon and on your terms I've been writing about your exploits in News of the World, Sunday Mirror and Northside People, including highlighting the Real IRA threats against you etc.
    pm me here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

& so would I, The Nazi-collaborator should not be given Hero status

http://is.gd/1WfnO

Advertisement