Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swastikas painted on Sean Russell statue in Fairview Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

shindig-jp wrote: »
    & so would I, The Nazi-collaborator should not be given Hero status

http://is.gd/1WfnO

The Hyperbole, politically charged and in some cases inaccurate reporting there lend further fuel to accusations that the Indo is no better than the Daily Mail these days in terms of sensationalism.

Surely there should be a real-life application of Godwin's Law in this case, just let it rest?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Doherty is a half- wit. Any alliance between Doherty and the Far Left and you know that even if they are right, they are wrong.

As I have written in the other thread on this subject, the modern anti-fascist movement is the descendant of the far left who were effectivley pro-Nazi during the early part of the war. There are as much the descendants of Pro-Fascist movements as the modern Republicans ( and I am not one, btw).

Never Again, unless there is another Ribbontrop- Matlotov pact.

I mean, does anybody really think that these muppets would oppose Nazzism if it arose for the first time today and was anti-Amercian? Of course not. Their ideological antecedents compared social democrats, anarchists, and conservatives to Fascists until the war broke out and then the communist movement was the biggest pro-Nazi movement in the West - the other pre-War pro-German, and pro-Nazi parties faded away as patriots. There was deliberate activity to sabotage the war effort, and it came from the Far Left, acting as proxy Axis Agents.

ANTIFA would have been far more pro-Nazi than Russel, back in the day. The Far Left was more useful to the Axis powers ( which, in reality includes the Soviet Union until 1941) than any Irish nationalist.

Paint the swastica on the faces of the Far Left.

Not that painting the hammer and sickle - an equally vile flag - would be any worse but the Never Againers really mean Never Again unless it is our Concentration Camps, or our Gulags; and they would welcome that flag.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Take this hideous, odious piece of half arsed sculpture down. The work is far too big for the original plinth and the choice of material clashes too with original material. The most badly crafted, ill thought out, mis judged garbage this side of Vilnius that this city has ever seen.
    Both sculpture and paymasters okaying final product should be lashed at dawn on the steps of NCAD.

However I do think that it is an important little curiousity for the city. It asks us to reflect, study, inform ourselves far more than any other piece in this country. It would do nothing for anybody to remove all trace of this man's sculpture. This is public piece of art that actually works. It creates reaction.

It is far too simplistic to say that this space glorifies Nazi collaboration. It has from its very beginnings raised a lot of controversy, a lot of questioning, some retrospection. Surely whether you agree or disagree with some or all of the actions of this man in the intirety of his lifetime that without this space given to him those reflections (for each sides reason) would have been lost in the ether of time like so many.
    All one needs to do is browse each public work as you stroll through the city and think to one's self...do I know anything about this dude? Does anyone know anything about this dude?
    At least with the Russell memorial it does create talking and feeling as opposed to bland ignorance.
    The Russell memorial. To remember. To remember who we are, what we are and how we feel about it. Allow the Russell Memorial to be as it has always been...an educator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

ANTIFA would have been far more pro-Nazi than Russel, back in the day.

***I made a huge post here thinking the above was about Antifa the loose network of European anti-fascist activists, as opposed to the poster in this thread. Its been removed.

I've no doubt the ANTIFA account is a troll one. Feel free to prove me wrong. The term ANTIFA is uncommon in Ireland, even among anti-fascists and the left. I would take everything said with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Some people (the vandals) have too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 northsidetype

Some people (the vandals) have too much time on their hands.

well, everyone needs a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

well, everyone needs a hobby.

Well let's hope their new hobby is 'spending time in prison' or cleaning up grafitti by doing community service at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    what a load of bull**** you talk morlar. just because someone is a patriot in your mind doesn't make them beyond reproach, sorry to contradict your nationalist bull****, but russell was a pure scumbag, a traitor to humanity and that monument will be removed quite soon let me assure you.

Lol..............smashed his keyboard typing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I see the swastikas have been white washed but the white cirlce and red background are left. Maybe it's a lure? Some one should paint a smiley face on it...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I see someone put a ban the bomb pic in it now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

WindSock wrote: »
    I see someone put a ban the bomb pic in it now :pac:

yeah, they have written 'love' on it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

3813248714_a5eb6087a5.jpg

Advertisement