Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness remedy, anyone

Options
  • 29-07-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I`m 6 and half wks pregnant and am suffering day and night with really bad nausea, to the point where I actually feel like vomminting although I`ve managed to hold my food down so far. Anyone know of a remedy or way to ease this rotten feeling, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi Pennies! Congratulations on your pregnancy (and commiserations on the all day sickness) Here are a few things to try:

Gingernut biscuits
    Dry crackers (snack often...an empty stomach usually means more sickness)
    Essential oils such as lemon, grapefruit or spearmint can be wonderful for nausea and are fine to use in pregnancy. Dab some on a tissue and keep it in your pocket. I used to go around with slices of lemon in a ziplock bag...it was the only thing that worked for me.

Hope it passes soon!

Tracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pennies

Thanks SanFran, tried the gigernut biscuits alright but to no avail however was craving club lemon last night so will try the lemon slices/ crackers this eve and see how I get on. I thought I was going to get away with having no sickness but it has hit me like a lead balloon, i feel rotten.... thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Week 6 was always the worst for me- then it'd go away and come back at the end of week 8 to week 10! Eating something before you get up in the morning helped me, and eating every two hours (not big meals obviously, just a few crackers or whatever). Also, giving in to your cravings (that is what my doctor suggested). Even if you crave unhealthy foods, as long as they are not bad for you and baby (ie no unpasteurised soft cheese etc), go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

The morning sickness :eek:.... Im 18 weeks and still suffering! Started off with just the feeling of nausea until about 6 weeks and then into vomiting! I've tried everything from ginger biscuits to dry crackers to hard lemon sour sweets but there is no cure, sorry. When I was suffering with the nausea the wrist bands helped esp when I was stuck in long meetings in work.

The trick is not to go hungry. Eat small and often. Just eat what you can. I used to snack on dry crackerbread which worked a treat but try eat fruit too. You wont feel as nauseous if your full. If you start vomiting try not to let it get you down (which will be hard!). The doctors all told me its actually a really good healthy sign. It means your hormone levels are up which is all good :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

janbaby wrote: »
    The trick is not to go hungry. Eat small and often. Just eat what you can.

This.

But really you just have to ride it out. It's a nasty feeling. I'm 14 weeks now and it's just about abating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I agree with the previous posters OP, but I will add that getting even slightly out of breath was a trigger for morning noon and night sickness for me. So it meant getting up for work a half hour earlier and making sure I had done and got everything upstairs that needed doing so I didnt end up flying up and down the stairs and getting sick. I had to start eating a light breakfast. Rice Krispies did the trick for me. And I kept one packet of cream crackers in my handbag and another on my workdesk. And when all that failed I used the travel bands on my wrists (but which make it difficult to keep it quiet in the early days!) Good luck and it will pass soon. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Congrats Pennies!!!! Fab News!

I have 2 children and unfortunately had 3 miscarriages, all around the 3 month mark, so I've had 5 rounds of morning sickness I'm sorry to say. On the 2 I managed to carry to full term I had morning, afternoon and night sickness. It was bad, I was even sick in the labour ward. Don't want to put you off at all, for most people it passes after 12/14 weeks.

The only thing that worked for me was mint. I don't know why, but if I felt sick I ate an after eight mint and it made me feel better. Or suck a polo mint, anything with mint in it. As another poster said I also used the wrist bands for a while but to no avail. Everyone is different so all you can do is to try all the suggestions and see what works for you. I really feel for you, it's not nice....

But I promise it will be worth it!!!!
    F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pennies

Thanks girls for all your info and experiences, really appreciate it. Seems to not be as bad a sit was now once I keep myself topped up with food at all times and dont go hungry although that poses another problem and ever expanding waistline!! :o tnx again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

ooh yeah week 6 and 7 were worst for me too.

Things that helped me the msot were dry crackers first thing in the morning. They absorb execess stomach acid.

Also sucking on lemon sweets....really made me feel better.

Also -- dont hold back! I felt sick non stop when I fought the nausea. It's horrible to be sick, but just give in and ytou will feel much better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I always felt worse after actually being sick. Still nauseous too.

Ick.

Fingers crossed it's behind me now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement