Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weekend or Next Weekend???

• 29-07-2009 4:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If someone said to you "I'm having a BBQ next weekend" - what does that mean to you - as in, when will it be exactly?

To me; "This weekend" is the 1st and 2nd of August. "Next Weekend" is the 8th and 9th of August. That's why it's called "Next Weekend" cause it's after the one coming up this week, but a lot of people seem to think otherwise. They think that "Next Weekend" means the same thing as "This weekend" - which seems totally pointless to me.

I said to a few people today "Pop over next weekend" - to which they respond:
    "This weekend?" to which I reply
    "No, Next weekend, if it was this weekend, I would have said This Weekend".

Am I right or wrong here? Is there a clear line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I would have thought the same as you - this weekend is this saturday and sunday; next weekend is the saturday and sunday after.

What kind of morons thinks "Next Weekend" means this weekend? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

brummytom wrote: »
    I would have thought the same as you - this weekend is this saturday and sunday; next weekend is the saturday and sunday after.

What kind of morons thinks "Next Weekend" means this weekend? :confused:

exactly this weekend means this weekend, next weekend means next weekend could'nt be clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I agree with you OP. Some people think that next weekend means THE next weekend thats coming but it just confuses the situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

emm, i never really thought about it before this, but i can see the logic in thinking that "next weekend" means the next weekend which will happen...which is actually this weekend :pac:

clear as mud!

It means "Im Having a BBQ next weekend"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I agree with the OP. Annoys me when people mix them up too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Aparently its not that clear cut!
    http://www.usingenglish.com/poll/717.html

http://www.usingenglish.com/poll/717.html

News just in: Poll shows 47% of people are idiots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

In what possible way is the weekend after next 'the next weekend'?

If you're at a train station and you say you're getting on the next train, do you mean the train after the next one? It's the next train that is going to arrive at the station, not the train after that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Next weekend means this weekend. The following weekend is the weekend after next.

• Advertisement

It would also mean that when you say next week you actually mean 2 weeks from now... that's just a silly use of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

saturday and sunday coming are in THIS week, therefore theyre THIS weekend

the following saturday and sunday are in NEXT week, therefore theyre NEXT weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Doesn't next weekend mean the weekend thats happening next.

The Bank holiday August weekend is next weekend. Its only this weekend if you are actually in the weeend. i.e you say this weekend on the 1st or 2nd.

Helix wrote: »
    saturday and sunday coming are in THIS week, therefore theyre THIS weekend

the following saturday and sunday are in NEXT week, therefore theyre NEXT weekend
    Technically Sunday is the first day of the week, so your theory is flawed :p

Quazzie wrote: »
    Technically Sunday is the first day of the week, so your theory is flawed :p

depends on who youre talking to, my week starts on monday as reflected by any calendar in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

NotMe wrote: »
    Next weekend means this weekend. The following weekend is the weekend after next.

And the next following next weekend means in 3 weeks time, whereas the previous weekend means the weekend before this next weekend next .

Doesn't next weekend mean the weekend thats happening next.

The Bank holiday August weekend is next weekend. Its only this weekend if you are actually in the weeend. i.e you say this weekend on the 1st or 2nd.

no

the bank holiday weekend is at the end of this week, therefore its this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"This weekend"

But..... it's not the weekend? :confused:

You say Next Weekend if you mean the one that's coming up. Or The Weekend After Next if you mean the one after that.

depends on who youre talking to, my week starts on monday as reflected by any calendar in my house
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_day_does_a_new_week_start_on

I think the term 'this weekend' is an abbreviation of 'this weekend coming'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Zascar wrote: »
    If someone said to you "I'm having a BBQ next weekend" - what does that mean to you - as in, when will it be exactly?

To me; "This weekend" is the 1st and 2nd of August. "Next Weekend" is the 8th and 9th of August. That's why it's called "Next Weekend" cause it's after the one coming up this week, but a lot of people seem to think otherwise. They think that "Next Weekend" means the same thing as "This weekend" - which seems totally pointless to me.

I said to a few people today "Pop over next weekend" - to which they respond:
    "This weekend?" to which I reply
    "No, Next weekend, if it was this weekend, I would have said This Weekend".

Am I right or wrong here? Is there a clear line?

There is no real right or wrong answer for your question, it just depends how people interpret it. TECHNICALLY you should only say "this weekend" if it IS the weekend....for example if you say "This week," it's the week you're currently in. If you say "next week," it's the week coming up. You're always IN a week, not matter what day it is, however you're not always in a weekend, so that's why there is always confusion with this one!

Personally, if it's the start of the week and I say "next weekend," I mean the weekend coming up. Towards the end of the week I say "this weekend." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

This weekend is the one coming. Just like you'd say 'this friday'. That means Friday coming and next friday means friday next week.

Simples.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    This weekend is the one coming. Just like you'd say 'this friday'. That means Friday coming and next friday means friday next week.

Simples.

Why not just say Friday week in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

What about Last Weekend?

Say it's a Monday morning, and someone says to you "I was away last weekend" - does that mean the 2 days previous?? or the weekend before that?

It's as simple as this: If you call the week in which you are existing 'this week', then the weekend coming up HAS to be 'this weekend', regardless of whether it's a Monday or Friday you're extant on. Anything else is 'next whatever'.

End of. Period. /thread.

im sure that matters if youre religious :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

NotMe wrote: »

Saying "The Following Weekend" only works if you have just been talking about "This weekend" - it would lead to confusion otherwise

I think the term 'this weekend' is an abbreviation of 'this weekend coming'

its not

take it as 3 words instead of 2... "this" "week" and "end"

as in the end of this week

when this week reaches its conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

im sure that matters if youre religious :confused:

Not really.. Western society's based on Christianity isn't it? If it wasn't, we wouldnt be in the year 2009 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

On Mondays I often call the weekend coming Next Weekend in that case. ON Tuesdays it has usually eased into This Weekend though.

'This weekend' is 'the end of this week'. As in, if its friday today, 'this weekend' will be the following two days.

If it was a friday and you were to ask what somebody had planned for the weekend, would you say 'What are you doing this weekend?' or 'What are you doing next weekend?'?

chakotha wrote: »
    On Mondays I often call the weekend coming Next Weekend in that case. ON Tuesdays it has usually eased into This Weekend though.

What, which? How?

Jesus-titty-fucking-christ, can it really be that hard to understand?

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

/morphs into incredible hulk & begins rampaging, this weekend

Smart Bug wrote: »
    What, which? How?

Jesus-titty-fucking-christ, can it really be that hard to understand?

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

/morphs into incredible hulk & begins rampaging, this weekend
    [sarcasm]
    But it's not the weekend, so by 'this weekend', I can't understand what you mean!
    [/sarcasm]

If you talk about next Christmas, you mean Christmas that falls in 2009 not 2010, yes?

So why when you talk about next weekend do you not mean the weekend that falls within the current week?

brummytom wrote: »
    Not really.. Western society's based on Christianity isn't it? If it wasn't, we wouldnt be in the year 2009 :confused:

doesnt mean the week starts on a sunday tho

• Advertisement

If you talk about next Christmas, you mean Christmas that falls in 2009 not 2010, yes?

Why worry about next Christmas though? It was last Christmas I gave you my heart monkeyfudge.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why worry about next Christmas though? It was last Christmas I gave you my heart monkeyfudge.

And it was the very NEXT day I gave it away. So would that be St. Stephen's Day (or do I mean boxing day) or the day after St. Stephen's day.

And it was the very NEXT day I gave it away. So would that be St. Stephen's Day (or do I mean boxing day) or the day after St. Stephen's day.

I always took it to be the next working day which would be the day after Stephen's/Boxing Day. Because well let's face it, where are you going to flog off second hand organs on the day after our Saviour's birthday?

Mostly though I would have preferred if you'd kept it until at least next weekend.

Advertisement