Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Subscritpion?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭

I know its possible to subscribe to a forum, and you can sign up for daily updates and weekly updates, but why is signing up for instant notification of a new thread not an option. I know from using another vBulletin forum online that it is possible so why doesn't Boards.ie offer such a service.

Or maybe it does and I just don't know how.

EDIT: 4000 posts.... woot woot..!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thread Tools (underneath the search button) -> Subscribe to this thread

That it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No I mean subscribing to a forum, as in subscribing to Feedback, or After Hours so that everytime a thread is started in that forum you get an email with a link to the OP.

Just go to Forum Tools and "Subscribe to Forum" ?

Ponster wrote: »
    Just go to Forum Tools and "Subscribe to Forum" ?

I've done that. There are three options for email notifications. 1. No email notification. 2. Daily email notification. 3. Weekly email notification.

Why is there not an option to recurve instant email notification for a new thread started in that forum?

I checked on the VBulletin site and it doesn't seem to be an option as it has the possibility of possible breaking a site.

Imagine thousands of members all subscribed to After Hours all receiving e-mail notifications with the posting of every new thread :)

It's possible to add it as a hack. Maybe request it in the Dev forum ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Would it be possible to subscribe to one or two forums so that new threads show up in usercp?

I checked on the VBulletin site and it doesn't seem to be an option as it has the possibility of possible breaking a site.

Imagine thousands of members all subscribed to After Hours all receiving e-mail notifications with the posting of every new thread :)

Surely it wouldn't be any more stressful than the amount of emails that are sent for every single reply to one particular thread. Sometimes within seconds of each other.

Actually after looking at that other site maybe its not a vBulletin site after all. Maybe someone who knows more than me might know straight away www.vagdrivers.net is the site that does it.
    It's possible to add it as a hack. Maybe request it in the Dev forum ?
    Thats a good idea. Can a mod move this thread if the get a chance. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My suspicion is that subscribing to a forum and receiving instant email notification would cause an email to be sent for every single new post in every thread in that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

There's a way to have someone notified every time there's a new thread posted in a forum, however, it only allows one mail address and can only be set by an administrator.

I think we probably want to keep people coming to the site. Turning it into a mailing list kinda defeats the purpose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ross wrote: »
    There's a way to have someone notified every time there's a new thread posted in a forum, however, it only allows one mail address and can only be set by an administrator.

I think we probably want to keep people coming to the site. Turning it into a mailing list kinda defeats the purpose.
    Is there an option to autosubscribe to every new thread without email notification?

Just so that it shows up in usercp?

Or even manual bulk subscribe (checkbox jobby)?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    My suspicion is that subscribing to a forum and receiving instant email notification would cause an email to be sent for every single new post in every thread in that forum.
    Thats nearly what I'd like. Say for example I subscribe to the construction and planning forum. Every new thread that is started in there means that I get an email as per example below:
    Quazzie,

seamus has started a new thread titled "self-building" in the Construction & Planning forum.

You can read this thread by following the link below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=xxxxxxxxxx

All the best,
    boards.ie

Ross wrote: »

Can we make it a paid subscriber feature then. Paid subscribers are always going to come back anyways, so it would be a real nice add-on to offer.

It could mean people coming to the site more when they see a thread has started that they would like to contribute to.

Has anyone looked into if this is even possible?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement