Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of getting stump removed northside Dublin

Options
  • 29-07-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all - I have a stump in my back garden that I want removed. I was wondering how much I should expect to pay - I've attached a pic beside a plastic chair to give an idea of size. It's about 2 ft high and maybe 2 or 2.5 ft at the base.

Also does anyone know someone who might do this at a reasonable price?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats nearly out already.
    Just start digging around it and then use a Mattock or an old axe to chop the roots out.
    ****e job of removal by whoever attacked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats nearly out already.
    Just start digging around it and then use a Mattock or an old axe to chop the roots out.
    ****e job of removal by whoever attacked it.

Well, ahem, it was me actually. I had a chain saw and there were several smaller limbs that merge into 1 at the base, so cut those as low as I could. That's all my chain saw could do.

What's a Mattock? You know anyone who'd do it for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Think a mini digger might be overkill. Possibly a stump grinder might be the way to go even though CJhaughey thinks it can be done with an axe...wouldn't fancy it myself though :)

How much would a stump grinder cost...anyone ever hired someone with one? Need to get it removed one way or another tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Think a mini digger might be overkill. Possibly a stump grinder might be the way to go even though CJhaughey thinks it can be done with an axe...wouldn't fancy it myself though :)

How much would a stump grinder cost...anyone ever hired someone with one? Need to get it removed one way or another tomorrow

a pick axe will do the job,just keep sticking it in the ground around the stump and loosen up the soil,it will come out eventually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi all - I have a stump in my back garden that I want removed. I was wondering how much I should expect to pay - I've attached a pic beside a plastic chair to give an idea of size. It's about 2 ft high and maybe 2 or 2.5 ft at the base.

TIA.

If you can at all, use a manual chain hoist

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&q=%22chain%20hoist%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

to put some tension in the roots as you dig around them, they will cut/break much easier, start at the back.

You need to be able to anchor the hoist some where maybe put a 6 by 4 lowdown across a doorway

What ever u do don't use nylon rope under tension, only chain as the rope will fly if it breaks and if the hoist is attached there is a risk of someone being injured.

In addition, when u have the chain from the stump to the hoist under light tension, then put a loose loop of rope on the end of the chain and tie it to the stump so if the chain breaks it wont fly, the same principle as the safety loop on a trailer.

An alternative is if you can get a line to your car.... but dont burn out the clutch:)

You dont need much tension, just enough to stop the root deflecting against the axe.
    A rough cut handsaw will slice through the roots either once under tension.

If you take care with the above the stump will come out without much actual effort.

ps if you had not cut it so low down the leverage from the hoist would be much more effective.

I do this on a pretty regular basis and never cut below 10 feet.
    the leverage from a 1.5 ton hoist at ten feet is such that the roots snap once u touch them with the axe

Hi Carlow, good detail thanks very much. I had thought about not cutting as low so I would have leverage to drag it with the car but I couldn't get access. I don't have a chain hoist but maybe I can hire one or blag one somewhere.

Stump grinders are not cheap, they usually have a minimum call out and it would hardly pay for that stump.
    A mattock looks like a pick with a wide flat head that is sharpened. Root axe is another name for it.
    They work well for that kind of job, besides that soil looks very dry and loose, it should be a simple job to get it out.

Hi Carlow, good detail thanks very much. I had thought about not cutting as low so I would have leverage to drag it with the car but I couldn't get access. I don't have a chain hoist but maybe I can hire one or blag one somewhere.

If u cant hire one, BTW anything over 3ton will be too heavy to work with- 1.5 ton is plenty, have a look in places like McQuillans tools in Capel street or Blanch for a cable hoist, ( not as neat to work with as the chain hoist has a clutch for up/down, the cable hoist has to be unwound each time-] they are not 2 expensive and are a good buy to protect your back. Unless u are very fit the job with the roots can be very arduous and u run the risk of straining your back. Sorry to be 'banging on' about the back but I 'did' my back years ago....

again mini digger is your man

no back trouble stump out in 10 minutes plus you get to play with a big toy for a day....... and you might be tempted to get some other jobs done

use links in previous posts you can hire it for 130 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

TIA.

Chop around the circumference of root with good axe and lever out with bar using a 4" solid block or similar as fulcrum. Should be quite easy to tackle, no need for the cavalry (stump grinder, mini digger etc) here!

Ok thanks for the ideas...spent the day with the pick axe and shovel digging out around the root. I didn't get my hand on a hoist or a mattock, and yes my back is now feeling it big time. I cut some roots away with a handsaw but it's absolutely not budging so far.

Thought I had a good axe but can't find it so will have to buy one tomorrow. Might just go at the roots with that and see how it goes...it's rock solid at the base though, seems to be one big root. Will call in the cavalry after tomorrow if necessary :)

Attached a pic to show how it looks after today's efforts.

Well done, that is pretty good work, see if you can dig a little deeper especially between the roots use a hand trowel to remove the soil this will all help.
    The big root in the front looks like the taproot, cut that sucker And pull it over a bit with a chainblock and you will be most way there.
    Does that soil drain well?
    You can use a hose to wash the soil away as well, just as long as the ground doesn't turn to soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

drill a few holes in it with a long round bit, fill them with salt, sit back and wait a few weeks, or fill them with roundup.

old boy wrote: »
    drill a few holes in it with a long round bit, fill them with salt, sit back and wait a few weeks, or fill them with roundup.

He is trying to remove the stump not kill it.

Chop around the circumference of root with good axe and lever out with bar using a 4" solid block or similar as fulcrum. Should be quite easy to tackle, no need for the cavalry (stump grinder, mini digger etc) here!

keep the pictures coming better than any documentary this thread

from last picture sonnenblumen suggestion is more appropiate now

where you located i propose we all drop around and take a shot at it

mental picture of calvary arriving with pickaxes/mini diggers/hoists/dynamite etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you kill a stump does it also kill the roots making it easier to remove ?

I ask as Ive got a few stumps id like to remove myself and this sounds like the easier way to prepart the stump for removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can you get a rope around and pull it out with a jeep?

Thats what I did with quite a few of the trees/ bushes that needed to be removed for our driveway expansion.

Can you get a rope around and pull it out with a jeep?

Thats what I did with quite a few of the trees/ bushes that needed to be removed for our driveway expansion.

I'm on a street sourrounded by neighbours in Dublin and only have narrow side gate access to the garden...it would be a good idea alright if I could get near it.

beolight wrote: »
    keep the pictures coming better than any documentary this thread

from last picture sonnenblumen suggestion is more appropiate now

where you located i propose we all drop around and take a shot at it

I second that proposal :)

Not much progress today so far what with rain and other stuff. I'm just back from Homebase now with a brand new axe...me and Mr stump are about to have a serious conversation :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

its you Vs the stump now man. a trial of man against nature. who wins? tune in next time.......

oh sweet suffering holy biddy, when the root is dead it just lifts out, life is best easy, why complicate it.

it looks like a thread about brute force and pure ignorence, so to quote a rather famous bard, where ingorence is bliss it is folly to be wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

old boy wrote: »
    oh sweet suffering holy biddy, when the root is dead it just lifts out, life is best easy, why complicate it.

if you read the OP posts he said 'Need to get it removed one way or another tomorrow'
    not sprinkle salt and pepper on it and wait weeks for it to rot

I done one in my own back garden years ago,with a pick axe in a few hours.

John Seymour recommends a simple way to remove a big stump is to drill holes into it, and pour sodium chlorate into the holes and cover the stump with an old barrel or some thing similar.
    After about a month you can just start a fire on top and the whole thing will burn away.
    Whats wrong with a bit of exercise and a challenge, better than sitting around watching Fair City and eating a TV dinner!

Ok so the conversation with Mr stump didn't go to well, wasn't in the mood for listening. It's one big mofo root...can't make much impression on it at all. Hacked away some smaller roots alright but the main one is holding out. Can't get a right swing at the main one either...it's quite low where I've dug away the soil.

Will tackle it again tomorrow, maybe another day might make more of an impression. Any other options...can I burn it, maybe help it along with some petrol...?

Can you get any leverage on it to bend it one way?
    Sticking a long bar into it and bending it over will make it easier.
    Chainblock is an option.
    Or keep digging and uncover more of the root, widen the hole so you can get a decent swing, thats why a mattock is handy for this kind of work.
    any pics of your progress?
    This is an Irish supplier of root axes.

I don't have any decent size iron bar or crow bar so can't get much leverage on it. Will try digging another bit to try and make more room for swinging. I've attached a pic of the latest progress...gonna get stuck into it now see can I make any more headway. There isn't much around it that I can attach a chain block to either...some trees to the left that can be seen in the 2nd pic which is an older pic...they're about 2.5 metres away so not sure if it would work

consider renting a concrete saw from Sam hire for 30 euro for the day now that u have that much room: wear goggles

http://www.samhire.ie/product_costs.htm

there is one in Santry

• Advertisement

Ta-daaa.....

Advertisement