Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IL2 Stirmovik demo on Live.

• 29-07-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone try the demo yet. Really liked it, it is actually a sim like the PC games were and can be as a sim or arcade as you want it to be. Got through the training missions fine with perfect scores but when I tried the first mission on realistic... wow, stalled straight away coming off the first bomber and went into a spin. I recovered before I hit the ground and kept going for more kills untill the bomber's gunners slowly took my Spitfire apart.

Can't wait for this to come out in September and have some WW2 style dogfighting on Live.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So it's not really "pick up & play" then? i like flying games but not if they are bitch hard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Select the arcade settings and it more or less is pick up and play. But as its a WW2 game its not as easy as say Ace Combat, which anyone can play and its an arcady game.

In arcade mode, you can't stall or spin. Ammo in unlimited and it tells you where to aim so you pull enough lead on the target to hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

I kept stalling in realistic but i put down the sensitivity and I'm not stalling as much. I'm still finding it hard to aim but damage to your plane is really good, there was a hole in my left wing after been shot at.

Select the arcade settings and it more or less is pick up and play. But as its a WW2 game its not as easy as say Ace Combat, which anyone can play and its an arcady game.

In arcade mode, you can't stall or spin. Ammo in unlimited and it tells you where to aim so you pull enough lead on the target to hit it.

Cheers.

I wasn't a fan of Ace Combat 6 at all, dull as dishwater! the last flight game i really liked was Crimson Skies on the xbox, that was a class act!

Cheers.

I wasn't a fan of Ace Combat 6 at all, dull as dishwater! the last flight game i really liked was Crimson Skies on the xbox, that was a class act!

Well, this is nothing like CS. If you thought Ace Combat was boring I think this will drive you to tears.

And what ever you do don't touch Over G fighters. Ace Combat on sim, with about 6 targets per mission but I really like that aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Whohooo I'm a huge iL2 fan from the PC and have been dying for this for ages..
    I'll check it out when I get home and see how it compares to the original.

This is going to be an amazing game online if it remains faithful to the PC version!!

Whohooo I'm a huge iL2 fan from the PC and have been dying for this for ages..
    I'll check it out when I get home and see how it compares to the original.

This is going to be an amazing game online if it remains faithful to the PC version!!

Its close enough, the main difference for me is that you can't choose when to fire the guns or cannons, they all fire together. So you can't save the cannons to use on the bombers, its not much of a biggy.

I read somewhere that if you have any joystick that works with the 360, just plug it in and IL2 will detect it. This game needs one I think, as you can even trim when set to simulation which is a first for a console flight game I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Remember suggesting playing IL2 at the last lan I was at.
    About 20 of us.
    Everything of course picked jets and I think about 18 ppl who'd never played it before just ramped up the afterburner and died on the runway after the engines went on fire :D
    Needless to say it wasn't played again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The demo is fantastic. For someone like me who loves plane games but doesnt want to have to spend hours reading an instruction manual its perfect. And the sim option os there for people who do. Graphics are amazing, and its alot of fun, definitely picking this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As an il2 diehard I think it sucks but i'll probably pick it up for the online side of things.

It actually reminds me more of hybrid of Janes WW2 fighters and Blazing Angels than IL2. Still it's a decent sized demo and worth the download.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    flight "games" should never be easy to play.

They should if they want people with only a casual interest to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Kerr-Bump!

Sorry for the rude bump, but i just played the demo today. I thought it was fairly easy to play, until i switched to realistic-mode. Got a wee bit tricker then.

First of the Sturmovik-games for me, so i have nothing to compare to. But i really liked it, and consider buying the full version.

Advertisement