Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinemas and new ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

But the cinemas don't make the movies :confused:
    If you're talking about either "foreign" films (ie, non-Irish/UK/American films) or independents then I'm not sure these multiplexes care really. UCI in Tallaght tried to keep a few more obscure releases going but hardly anyone goes to them, which is a shame. It's lousy if you can't get in to Dublin city centre like, you're stuck with the chick n' dick flicks and the usual popcorn films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

but they DO know what fims are due out this year, hell sometimes next year is well flagged .

its not nuclear science to hand out a form to ask what film your looking forward to in the coming months, particularly if you chuck in a free coke or something for the effort.

the way things are now stuff like the shawshank redemption or the usual suspects wouldnt even get a general release. moon is a classic example of this which thankfully seems to be getting a reprieve.

Cinemas don't actually have as much power or insight as you'd think. Release dates are rarely ever set in stone (with the exception of your "usual suspects" ie the popcorn films). For some reason I don't think cinemas like giving out release dates.

As far as I remember Shawshank and Usual Suspects only got popular through the VHS home video market. IFI and Light House cinema for your unusuals I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kelly7589

I would imagine money is being concentrated on updating the cinemas in Ireland to DIGITAL, which is way over due (anyone know how they're getting on with that, I think the UK has it in all the main chains now), that would eliminate poor picture/sound quality. ALSO much cheaper for the film distributors AND we would see the release dates of movies tie in with release dates in America (instead of having to wait for those costly film reels to be sent over..which is why there is such a delay between American - European release dates..and vice versa)

I'd rather them spend money on updating the quality of the movie (hence digital systems/screens) than cosmetic things like chairs or popcorn packaging.

I wouldn't be sure about the accuracy of what you've said there Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

35mm projection is still superior to any digital projection set up.

An adults only screen would be handy for films. No one under 18 admitted regardless of the certificate. It would be worth paying the extra euro or two to keep the kids out of the showing. I don't see why I should have to confine my cinema going to the very late show on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

From what i hear on the different forums is alot of people are sick of films being ruined by talkers or by teens and kids misbehaving , i wouldnt mind paying a few cent extra for someone with authority to check in on the screens constantly and make sure everthings alright.
    You cant expect the 16 and 17 year old general workers to deal with issues like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

When I visited Edinburgh, one of the cinemas (can't remember the name, there are loads!) had double features on Sunday with related films. I went to see Pan's Labyrinth/The Orphanage, the following week it was Batman Begins followed by The Dark Knight. The place was really comfortable too, like a proper theatre so you didn't go numb staying there for the length of two shows.

From what i hear on the different forums is alot of people are sick of films being ruined by talkers or by teens and kids misbehaving , i wouldnt mind paying a few cent extra for someone with authority to check in on the screens constantly and make sure everthings alright.
    You cant expect the 16 and 17 year old general workers to deal with issues like that.

Most cinemas will have some kind of security staff or in the case of your supermarket cinemas there'll be "mall security". Thing I don't think there's training for dealing with someone acting the arse in a cinema. I've seen a simple request from a security guard to take a foot off of a chair escalate into the person in question phoning the Gardai so he could make a complaint that the security guard assaulted him because he tapped him on the shoulder.

When I visited Edinburgh, one of the cinemas (can't remember the name, there are loads!) had double features on Sunday with related films. I went to see Pan's Labyrinth/The Orphanage, the following week it was Batman Begins followed by The Dark Knight. The place was really comfortable too, like a proper theatre so you didn't go numb staying there for the length of two shows.

That's a very good idea but it's a topic of contention in cinemas as far as I know. It's still quite expensive to rent out "older" films , even ones a year or so old. So the money men get their say in it and they go crunching numbers and prophecising about margins and everything.

I think one of the Dublin cinemas got the first two LotR films when RotK came out.

I'd like double features actually. I doubt it's something you'd get in yr supermarket multiplexes (outside of the odd time like in the case with LotR) but the ones in a city centre have very mixed audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have notice that Storm in Portlaoise has a bouncer to keep anyone under 18 out of the late shows on a Friday and Saturday night. I do think it improves the experience for those attending the late shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61370540']I know it wouldn't happen, but i'd love there to be an over 18's only section of a cinema (where beer could be served), and where teenagers trying to impress dates by being loud mouthed pricks, and little kids shouting to their mommies, would be OUTLAWED!

I went to a cinema in the UK just like that a few months back. £7.00 a ticket - 72 reclining seats - Dolby Digital Surround - private bar - no kids after 7pm

The screen was much larger in the 'main' room (467 Seats DDS / DTS) but it was a wonderful experience all the same.

Advertisement