Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad smell coming for Aircon, changed filter.

• 29-07-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bad smell coming from air conditioning, I've changed the filter but smell has not gone away. When I turn on the econ, its fine no smell. The smell only comes from the air vents when i turn on the aircon.

Any ideas what is causing this?

P.S. I used the spray can which was set of in the car, but the smell came back after about a week.

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Check the air filter? Clean it out with a hoover and change if needed.

Also check your pollen filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

could be a dead mouse it happened to me once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Are you driving a Peugeot or Citreon as I've experienced these doing that from time to time.

I asked a mechanic about it and he said it was normal for those cars...not sure to believe him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

No its an Audi. Filters have all been replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.commaoil.com/News/newsairconcleanhtm.htm

try a can of that, it disinfects and refreshes the aircom system.
    i used it on my car, along with changing the pollen filters and it worked wonders

you cna get it in halfords

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    http://www.commaoil.com/News/newsairconcleanhtm.htm

try a can of that, it disinfects and refreshes the aircom system.
    i used it on my car, along with changing the pollen filters and it worked wonders

you cna get it in halfords

Tried that, the smell went away for a week and then came back.

did you change the pollen filters at the same time?

some suggestions online about getting a strong cleaner sprayed straigt into the system via the water drain hole.

my next step on the e39 would have been this, never got that far happily
    http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

subway wrote: »
    did you change the pollen filters at the same time?

Yes all filters have been changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Audi you say.

My A4 B7 had a similar issue. I eventually noticed the Air Filter cover was not on correctly and was letting in smells from the engine compartment.

Check the pipe to the front grille is set correct, the filter is correctly placed(and correct filter) and put the housing on correctly.

It cured it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

Hello,

I used this stuff i got on www.micksgarage.ie for the same problem. The problem is bacteria in the system. I'm sure you can get similar stuff in Halfords or any motor factors.

Air Conditioning Cleaner

165705_ffd4c8e2.jpgEinszett Air Conditioning 'Klima' Cleaner
    Removes bacteria and fungus from the A/C for fresh and healthy air
    As featured on TV3 - Ireland AM
    Reference : 165705 Now €7.50Save 40% RRP:€12.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The smell is caused by mould growth. There is a drip tray under the AC unit in the engine compartment. Overtime, condensation has dripped into the tray, and allowed mould growth.

If you can get under the AC unit and give it a good clean, you may be in luck.

After not using the AC for a long period, the mould will die off, and the smell will go - until regular use next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is the passenger well carpet damp by any chance? If it is it could be a heater matrix failure. Unlikely though. If it was you'd also get fogging when you turn on the heat (I know, it's summer).

My 2c anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

saw that cleaner stuff for air con in aldi this week.
    Give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

OP, did you manage to sort out this problem?

The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure the aircon in my own car is giving me terrible sinus pain and headaches. There is sometimes a bit of a smell, but I'm more worried about sinus congestion and headaches. Is there anything I can do to fix the aircon?

I was thinking of getting this particular cleaner, but you thought it was pretty poor, so I'm not sure what to do.

http://www.commaoil.com/product%20Pages/Maintenance/airconclean.htm

Any advice appreciated.

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The smell is caused by mould growth. There is a drip tray under the AC unit in the engine compartment. Overtime, condensation has dripped into the tray, and allowed mould growth.

If you can get under the AC unit and give it a good clean, you may be in luck.

After not using the AC for a long period, the mould will die off, and the smell will go - until regular use next year!

It's actually the non-use of the aircon that causes the mould growth.

If you're someone who only uses the aircon in the summer, this will happen to you.

Best way to avoid it is to use the aircon periodically, even in the winter.

Johnny Utah, I'd just grab an aircon cleaner and see if it works, they're fairly cheap. If it works, it was mould, if it doesn't, then it's something else obviously.

Ok, I will give the Comma AirCon Cleaner a go. Thanks.

Advertisement