Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Vodafone Nightmare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Gillo wrote: »
    I'm just wondering and I actually don't want to agree with Dublinjoe, but if he didn't sign the form legally speaking he may not have authorised Vodafone to port the number, obviously he intended to and took actions towards moving his number. I wonder how a judge would view it????

He entered in to a verbal contract, by providing the details needed to open an account with Vodafone and port his number.

Signing a form isn't strictly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

dublinjoe wrote: »
    To be charged €10 for a mere 500MB is a RIPOFF.

Yet you were willing to sign up to this which totally contradicts your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

The fact that the replies so far unanimously think that I deserved to be kicked out of the store - and that this is an acceptable way for a company to treat a customer - shows me why Ripoff Ireland exists.

No what the replies show is that the posters here have a basic sense of common courtesy and decency.

How are you 'battling the corporate beast' by abusing/threatening a lowly paid customer service rep.

And I thought Walter Mitty was a fictional character....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Just to be clear I did not sign anything so the porting was unauthorised and illegal.
    You don't need to sign anything for it to be legal. It's a verbal contract. By you walking into the Vodafone store and requesting the transfer, you're essentially agreeing to the contract.
    Also tossing a sim card onto a counter does not constitute abuse. If I was on the other side of that counter (and I have been in the past), my reaction would not have been to call security.
    Was it tossed lightly joe? I've had a customer throw a television remote at me and then insist, after they complained to my store manager, that they only threw it "lightly" (my lip just happened to burst itself open of it's own accord, of course - NOTHING to do with the remote). I would dearly love to see the CCTV footage on the day to see how lightly "lightly" actually was. As already said, staff DON'T call security over for no reason. There's far to much follow up hassle if staff just call security over the smallest thing.
    Before I went to this store, I had spent weeks researching all four mobile carrier plans. I had some specific requirements (no contract, cheap data, cheap int'l texts, the ability to text to/from Malawi) and most of those answers are buried deep in the T&Cs or in some cases, are not there at all. I thought that when I call Vodafone customer service and ask them a specific question, they would give me the correct answer. This is why I was frustrated. But again, to clarify, this incident did not happen because I didn't read the T&Cs.
    A quick 5 minute browse on Vodafone would have told you that Data Add-on's were NOT available to Prepay Ready To Go customers, only PostPay. Another 5 minutes here on boards would have confirmed this fact.

Why Vodafone gave you incorrect information is an issue alright, the person may be in training, having a bad day, or been confused as to what exactly you were asking them. This does NOT excuse your actions in any way.
    The fact that the replies so far unanimously think that I deserved to be kicked out of the store - and that this is an acceptable way for a company to treat a customer - shows me why Ripoff Ireland exists.

The 'that's just the way it is' attitude in this country is why multinational corporations can come in, charge exorbitant prices, and offer subpar services - and no one complains.
    No, the fact Rip Off Ireland exists is because the Irish don't complain to the right people. The people in the front line shops do not have any channel of communication to upper management. I repeat, the people in the front line shops do not have any channel of communication to upper management.

Going in and taking out your feelings and problems on shop staff is completely and utterly pointless. It achieves nothing. The shop staff don't make decisions, and have no direct channel of communication to upper management. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of staff don't ever communicate directly with any upper management in their time working for a company. But if the company head office starts receiving a lot of complaints from customers or ex-customers, then they'll quickly take notice. And of course, if you want to be taken seriously, don't go making completely ridiculous demands for recourse :rolleyes:
    dublinjoe wrote:
    I sat on a panel last year with the Senior VP of strategy for Vodafone and he said straight out that the reason Vodafone doesn't offer unlimited plans is because they would have no other way to make money off of their customers.
    Businesses are there to make money, no?
    dublinjoe wrote:
    Communication and internet access is a utility - a necessity for a wired, interconnected world and those of us who work in cyberspace. To be charged €10 for a mere 500MB is a RIPOFF. To be charged €1 for 50 MB is a RIPOFF. And yet Irish consumers don't complain and the MEPs obey GSM Association demands.
    So what, is the fact it costs me 29c/min to ring a landline from a mobile, as opposed to as little as 1c/min to ring a landline from a landline, a rip off too, by your argument? Good god, those evil mobile phone corporations!!!!

If you want cheap broadband, get a €20/month 3Mb upc connection in. If you want mobile broadband, which you can take with you anywhere, then expect to pay up for the convenience!
    dublinjoe wrote:
    You guys can continue to be RIPPED OFF. But not me. I know it comes off as obnoxious, but if you have a better way to battle these corporate beasts, I'd love to hear it.
    As opposed to what, your tactic of going in and throwing stock back at shop assistants, hurling abuse at them and then making the most ridicilous demands for recourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Paulw wrote: »
    He entered in to a verbal contract, by providing the details needed to open an account with Vodafone and port his number.

Signing a form isn't strictly needed.
    Yeah, I accept that and obviously had the full intention of entering the contract, I suppose it goes back to the whole invitation to tender debate, at what stage is the contract actually set. I know in O2, it's very strict about the paperwork getting signed, either way I think we can all agree on one think regarding the OP and his "issues".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wow just wow Joe. I've been working in retail myself for the last 7 years but thankfully not for a mobile phone operator. When I think I'm having a hard day I just think for a brief moment the crap that the sales folk must get working in a mobile shop..... poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If I had a euro for every letter I've received like that!

I can guarantee you the cctv footage was saved the minute you left the shop, do you still stand by what you say?

I don't believe you because with 10 years experience as a retail manager, you only call in security when you really have to.

I can just imagine what a scene you made in the store.

I think the staff in Henry street should be paid €25 per hour for the next year as compo for having to deal with you.

Good luck with the letter, love to hear how they reply to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If I had a euro for every letter I've received like that!

I can guarantee you the cctv footage was saved the minute you left the shop, do you still stand by what you say?

I don't believe you because with 10 years experience as a retail manager, you only call in security when you really have to.

I can just imagine what a scene you made in the store.

I think the staff in Henry street should be paid €25 per hour for the next year as compo for having to deal with you.

Good luck with the letter, love to hear how they reply to you.
    would be great to see that cctv footage and see if it was the op or a snarly shop assistant that was having a bad day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Yeah, yeah, you gently tossed it back at the sales rep and were a complete sweetheart.

Working in retail should be like conscription so all of you civilians know what its like to be on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you want to get them back, serve them with a Data Protection notice for the CCTV footage, they must comply or be fined.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you want to get them back, serve them with a Data Protection notice for the CCTV footage, they must comply or be fined.

MC

I don't believe the DPA covers CCTV in the manner in which you think, it doesn't contain your personal details it simply includes your image

Its like I can take a photo of you on a street (public property) or on my property and there's nothing you can do about it by law, no amount of you believing you can request it under the DPA will allow you to have a copy or have it deleted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

MC

Eh no it doesn't work like that. DPA can't get video off any store if the store's security are following the correct code of using CCTV. The role of DPA is to ensure that all personal data is used in a professional and responsible manner, and to eliminate the usage of any data for voyeuristic or entertainment purposes. And as the OP was acting with what seems like a threatning manner and flung a sim pack at the staff the DPA does not cover him here.

Could you imagine if anyone could ask for footage to be destroyed if they were committing a crime or about to commit a crime or acting up. All video evidence would be useless in court as 90% of all criminals would use the DPA as their get out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I reckon he works for meteor and wants to discredit vodafone! :D

Its a very funny story. I think he will get something though. He will prob get a €20 worth of Vodafone credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Cant wait for the next post from the OP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

In fairness it was bad customer service from vodafone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No up date from the 'gentle tosser'? !

Advertisement