Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom- Joe Duffy today

Options
  • 29-07-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

There was two callers on liveline today talking about the problems they are having with eircom. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ click on listen to latest show and skip to 42:13.

The guy basically says that his IP address has been blacklisted and this is causing him email issues. He found this out through www.uceprotect.net.

Another guy says that his problems were sorted out when he recieved a new modem.

I have ran the test on the uce protect site but its all double dutch to me. One thing it tells me is '' WARNING: No Reverse-DNS (PTR) is assigned to your IP
    Please request your Admin or Provider to fix this '' what ever that means:confused:

Anyway could anybody in the know try to explain the gist of what the guys on liveline where talking about or what this site is all about www.uceprotect.net

Thanks
    joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Wonder if this has anything to do with why I cant send emails despite being able to receive them. Have the outgoing mail server set at mail1.eircom.net but this has me stumped. Just keep getting the below error message.

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try mail2.eircom.net instead

blacklisting means your IP address was used by spammers or else that you are a spammer .

turn your router off for 5 mins and turn it on again , should get a new IP address and check for blacklisting again .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

As I understand this it would mean your IP address was monitored sending a lot of email traffic above the average user amount for a consistant rate meaning you may have been infected with a bot or trojan.

To find out more on this visit www.blacklist.ie and enter your IP address into the field. It will ref all major watchdog sites lists and if your IP is listed as possible spamming it will show here. Then visit the individual watchdogs site and they all have a procedure in place where you can unblock your IP from theri list allowing outbound traffic again. All their processes vary slightly but usualy means reading some text and a few check box's. About 15 mins of your attention.

They are independent bodies and ARE allowed do this in order to combat spamming. Its not under the remit of your ISP to unblock this and should be done by the yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

There was two callers on liveline today talking about the problems they are having with eircom. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ click on listen to latest show and skip to 42:13.

The guy basically says that his IP address has been blacklisted and this is causing him email issues. He found this out through www.uceprotect.net.

Another guy says that his problems were sorted out when he recieved a new modem.

I have ran the test on the uce protect site but its all double dutch to me. One thing it tells me is '' WARNING: No Reverse-DNS (PTR) is assigned to your IP
    Please request your Admin or Provider to fix this '' what ever that means:confused:

Anyway could anybody in the know try to explain the gist of what the guys on liveline where talking about or what this site is all about www.uceprotect.net

Thanks
    joe

Hi Joe,

Guess what, this indicates an eircom DNS problem :P which means that anti-spam will not be effective:
    To check the domain names in the rDNS to see if they are likely from dial-up users, dynamically assigned addresses, or home-based broadband customers. Since the vast majority, but by no means all, of e-mail that originates from these computers is spam, many mail servers also refuse e-mail with missing or "generic" rDNS names.

See here for more info.

BTW, when I changed my DNS settings to OpenDns I get this:
    Reverse DNS (PTR) exists and claimes to be: 86-45-XXX-YY-dynamic.b-ras1.xxx.anytown.eircom.net

Forward DNS for 86-45-XXX-YY-dynamic.b-ras1.xxx.anytown.eircom.net is: 86.45.XXX.YY

DNS is consistent

Also, there is a Low in the Listingrisk box, as opposed to DNS problems when using eircom DNS settings.

I guess eircom DNS is a work in progress :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Hi Joe,

Guess what, this indicates an eircom DNS problem :P which means that anti-spam will not be effective:

See here for more info.

BTW, when I changed my DNS settings to OpenDns I get this:

Also, there is a Low in the Listingrisk box, as opposed to DNS problems when using eircom DNS settings.

I guess eircom DNS is a work in progress :rolleyes:

In the listingrisk box I get '' High DNS Problem ''
    When the first attack happened last week I changed to openDNS.

Im having no probs with e-mail, Its just my speed is very low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Any mention of the DNS problems recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

barnicles wrote: »
    Any mention of the DNS problems recently?

They just briefly mentioned that the dns problems were sorted last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Where I work we have 2 Eircom static IP's and both have been largely blacklisted across the board. We've done a sweep of the internal network and can't find any infections.

Eircom seem decidedly mute in responding to us in regards to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

i got an email yesterday, apparently from email
    Eircom's Blacklisting Problem - Have You Been Affected?
    Eircom's DNS servers were compromised last week in a security attack. As a result, they were deemed to be spamming out and have since been blacklisted by a Company called UCEProtect. This has affected most of the IP addresses assigned by Eircom, resulting in some of our customers experiencing difficulty sending and receiving emails.

Eircom Corporate support are recommending that customers contact their Eircom Account Manager to request a new static IP address. However, most of these IP addresses are blacklisted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Would Eircom not consider getting their IP addresses taken off the Blacklist themselves? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 omnisynergy

We are paying for 7MB broadband, and even though eircom claimed that the problem has been fixed since 14th July, we have still been having problems, and it has been down for an hour at times.
    It's completely unacceptable, I work in web design and I need the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Use a business connection and pay for an sla then.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

eircoms ip addresses are frequently on spam blacklists, not just because of the recent DNS problems, but generally because people have viruses on their computer or their computer is compromised and sending spam mail etc.

uceprotect.net list entire ISP ips on a whim and insist on payment for delisting. No clued in IT person or mail administrator would subscribe to their listings. If your looking for a good RBL check out zen.spamhaus.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Lister1 wrote: »
    Wonder if this has anything to do with why I cant send emails despite being able to receive them. Have the outgoing mail server set at mail1.eircom.net but this has me stumped. Just keep getting the below error message.

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    You need to have your SMTP server the same as your ISP's. Who's your Broadband with?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's completely unacceptable, I work in web design and I need the internet.

You get what you pay for, you can't expect a business type service from a home package.

If you require better for business use then you will need to pay business prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Cabaal wrote: »
    You get what you pay for, you can't expect a business type service from a home package.

If you require better for business use then you will need to pay business prices

True but it doesn't make any difference with problem of IP blacklisting. I've had 6 companies in the past 3 weeks who have been blacklisted and unable to send mail for over 24hrs. One of these companies had only 4 machines so it was easy to scan everything and there were no traces of a virus. I examined the firewall logs and there was nothing connecting to Port 25 and ran a number of other tests and could not find anything to indicate that a large volume of spam mail originated from their network.

I spoke to a friend of mine who works in Eircom over the weekend and he told me in excess on 10,000 Eircom IP's had been blacklisted in recent weeks. This is too much of a coincidence for it all to be the customers fault, especially when you consider the other DNS issues they have been having.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Has anybody been really affected by Eircom's IP addresses being blacklisted?

I know we have had some companies complain to use that emails could not get through to us.
    We have also been unable to contact some companies by email.

Cant get a new static IP address from Eircom as they say all their address are on the blacklist.

fustrating

abakan wrote: »
    I know we have had some companies complain to use that emails could not get through to us.
    We have also been unable to contact some companies by email.

Are you getting an error message back when trying to email some companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

No message when we are sending

Companies trying to email us have been getting delayed exchange delivery reports. 1 or 2 companies have recieved nothing and they wonder why we havent got back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Have you ever logged in on the webmail system? If so you might need to change your email clients server addy to webmail.eircom.net .

I had to do that for my aunt recently and that fixed all her email problems

• Advertisement

abakan wrote: »
    No message when we are sending

Companies trying to email us have been getting delayed exchange delivery reports. 1 or 2 companies have recieved nothing and they wonder why we havent got back to them

You need to send the content of those delay reports to eircom support. They might be able to help.

Advertisement