Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving to Scotland...

• 29-07-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Edinburgh at the end of August with a friend and we're moving our stuff over there by car. Anyone have any experience of driving to Scotland (I'll be leaving Cork) wonder is there much difference between driving to Larne and going to Troon or going Dublin to Liverpool and driving up from there.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Google maps says its about 100 miles less driving to Larne and getting the boat to Troon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I've driven from Cork to Fort William up by Ben Nevis . I wouldn't go via Dublin i'd imagine you'll only add hours to the journey.

Book the Fast Ferry with Stena from Belfast to Stranraer ... if its too rough they divert you to Larne and you'll arrive slightly up the road from Stranraer in Cairnryan or visa versa. Slow ferry doesn't take much longer.

I had no GPS followed Google directions only got lost for 10 mins in Glasgow. Looks like you'll take the A77 north then hang a right on the A71 and it'll bring you to Edinburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Google maps says its about 100 miles less driving to Larne and getting the boat to Troon

Yep I did that trip recently. Made it from Troon to Edinburgh in an hour and a half but I would bring a sat nav cause the number of roundabouts when you get near Glasgow is mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Cork-Dublin-Larne 5.5 hours
    Larne-Troon ferry 2 hrs (€100)
    Troon-Edinburgh 1hr 40 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd spend as much time as you can on the roads and as less time as you can on the sea, average speed on the sea will be around 20mph or if your on the HSS maybe 30mph, in a car you will do around double this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I made the mistake once of arriving in Stranraer at about 10pm, expecting to be able to get some petrol there and then carry on to Edinburgh. It's a dead town and everything was shut up for the night. It's a very rural road all the way to Prestwick and there were no petrol stations along the way.

Go via Troon would be my advice as it's a much more direct route on larger roads.

The Stranraer route might be an enjoyable drive during daytime if you had a full tank of fuel and were in no hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've driven Dublin -> Belfast -> Stranrar -> Glasgow. Not a bad drive. It's grand up to Belfast.

The roads are a bit dodgy for a while from Stranrar to Glasgow but they're a great drive (as in challenging and the view is great in the light)... would suggest doing it during daytime if it's an option.
    Hope this helps :)

Not sure completely re Edinburgh... but imagine most of it would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cheers lads, Troon looks the way to go. Think it will be night going over and day coming back all going to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've done Dublin to Edinburgh using the Belfast to Stranraer ferry. I'd recommend taking the Larne to Troon as it's a much shorter trip on the far side. Try and time it to avoid rush hour around Glasgow, it's horrendus, even though it's motorway / dual carriage way all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've done Dublin to Edinburgh a few times and I've always taken the Swift to Holyhead and up... but Belfast is significantly less of a headwreck to get to and through than when I first did that journey so Larne-Troon looks like the best choice these days. In the old days you could lose the two hours and more time getting to Larne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Stranrar -> Glasgow is a very pleasant stretch of road to drive if you're not in a hurry - scenic, twisty and excellent road surfaces. Don't expect it to be quick though - lots of camper vans, and not a lot of overtaking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

This is a reply from someone who actually lives in Scotland.

Get the ferry to Troon, from Troon harbour its a 15min drive to the M77, 30 miles (25mins) to the kingston bridge and straight on 50 mins (1 hour between 4.30 and 5.30) to edinburgh via the M8.

The 1st stretch of the M77 has average speed cameras set at 50mph, in addition the middle stretch has an unmarked silver 05 BMW, at Silverburn there is usually a silver 07 octavia and a light blue volvo. whilst as you near Edinburgh another silver 5 series BMW and an occasional silver MBZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Stranrar -> Glasgow is a very pleasant stretch of road to drive if you're not in a hurry - scenic, twisty and excellent road surfaces. Don't expect it to be quick though - lots of camper vans, and not a lot of overtaking opportunities.

Yep, I've experience of missing a ferry!! That's why I'd go for Troon always, but I think that ferry stops for winter at the start of October.

Advertisement