Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 3g coverage in Dublin

• 29-07-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving to Meteor, is their 3g coverage up there with 3Irl for Dublin city ad suburbs? And how is their Edge coverage?

Also, I have never used Edge, how slow is it? Is it anywhere near the speed of 3g? i.e could you watch a youtube video over edge?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thinking of moving to Meteor, is their 3g coverage up there with 3Irl for Dublin city ad suburbs? And how is their Edge coverage?

Also, I have never used Edge, how slow is it? Is it anywhere near the speed of 3g? i.e could you watch a youtube video over edge?

Thanks.
    Meteor's 3G coverage wouldn't be as close to 3's anywhere in the country, not even in Dublin.

Meteor's EDGE coverage is mostly in the North, East, parts of the South and a small bit in the West. The maximum EDGE connection speed on Meteor is 236.2 Kbps (kilobits per sec) which amounts to a maximum download speed of 29.6 KBps (kilobytes per sec), while the average EDGE connection speed is around 160-200 Kbps (kilobits per sec) with amounts to an average download speed between 20-25 KBps (kilobytes per sec), which will be dependent on several factors, e.g. network usage, weather etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Thanks.

3G coverage would be good. I've been using EDGE for the last few days, I was able to watch a youtube video over it but if the signal gets a bit weak it'll buffer every 10 seconds or so. Moodio.fm works well with it, at the highest bitrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Most of the inner city is 3G. The suburbs, not so much so. Anywhere outside of Dublin county (with the exception of Cork), forget it.

EDGE is pretty quick, if you're close to the mast and with good reception. Not as good as 3G obviously, but acceptable for just checking e-mail and light browsing, youtube (with some buffering).

If you click here you're able to do a search on your address and it will then show up all mobile phone base stations near that address. It'll show up which operator owns each base station, and also show if the base station is 2G only, or if it is 3G capable. If there's a mast nearby you, and it's 3G, you should be good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Kensington wrote: »
    Most of the inner city is 3G. The suburbs, not so much so. Anywhere outside of Dublin county (with the exception of Cork), forget it.

EDGE is pretty quick, if you're close to the mast and with good reception. Not as good as 3G obviously, but acceptable for just checking e-mail and light browsing, youtube (with some buffering).

If you click here you're able to do a search on your address and it will then show up all mobile phone base stations near that address. It'll show up which operator owns each base station, and also show if the base station is 2G only, or if it is 3G capable. If there's a mast nearby you, and it's 3G, you should be good to go!

Thanks for that. Looking at that map, there is a meteor mast about 1.5k from my gaff, and it has 3g. Is that close enough for a good signal?

Thanks for that. Looking at that map, there is a meteor mast about 1.5k from my gaff, and it has 3g. Is that close enough for a good signal?

Yes it is. You have to remember though that 3G coverage works differently to GPRS/EDGE. The more users connected to a 3G cell, the less coverage there will be, as it shrinks, and the slower your speed will be also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Yes it is. You have to remember though that 3G coverage works differently to GPRS/EDGE. The more users connected to a 3G cell, the less coverage there will be, as it shrinks, and the slower your speed will be also.

yeah I was wondering about that. There is a 3 mast about the same distance from me and I nearly always have full 3g signal..however ,I was talking to my mate there a second ago, he was in my place last weekend(and is on Meteor) and said his phone was on Edge most of the time...

Is it possible the 3 mast is more powerful, i.e will allow a lot more 3g users on it before it comes under pressure?

yeah I was wondering about that. There is a 3 mast about the same distance from me and I nearly always have full 3g signal..however ,I was talking to my mate there a second ago, he was in my place last weekend(and is on Meteor) and said his phone was on Edge most of the time...

Is it possible the 3 mast is more powerful, i.e will allow a lot more 3g users on it before it comes under pressure?

The 3 cell you mention may be larger, allowing for more capacity and, therefore, be more powerful. 3 may also have cells that are farther away from your home than the one you mention, but still may provide coverage in your area, which in turn will provide more consistent coverage than if Meteor only had one cell covering the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Super fast 3g in Lucan, :pac:

Cack Edge in Templogue :mad:

Advertisement