Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher is back

• 29-07-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

He's back at 40 wooo but who will be the stig haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

He's back at 40 wooo but who will be the stig haha

Do you have a link to source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Sky sports news just announced it:)

http://www.cbssports.com/autoracing/story/11998831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

all over sky "Ferrari say they will replace massa with shumi for the rest of the season"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm looking forward to see him back. He's got just over 3 weeks to get some sharpness back and hopefully get rid of any neck problems he has.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

kenon wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to see him back.

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

woohoo
    Delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

YES!!!!!!!

Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Never thought I would see this but its fantastic!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

WOW WOW WOW

What do all the people who said that Schmuacher avoided a good top level team mate say now. Not only has he volenteered to take on Kimi ( who alot of people regard as the best driver in the world now AND while Schmuacher was there ), but he is doing it in a car that he was never driven, that has been subject to the largest regulation changes maybe ever, compounded with the fact he hasnt driven an F1 car in competitive action in 2 and a half years, hasnt driben an F1 car at all in 18 months, and he is now 40 years old. I'm amazed he is doing it.

Go Schmuacher. Expose Kimi for the glorified Jensen Button like driver he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I suspected when Willi Weber said that Schumacher wouldn't be back, that the very opposite would happen. Fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Absolutely delighted the King is back :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Only man for the job.

Will he be allowed to do straight line tests before Spain. Not sure on the testing exception regulations. Think they can straight line test, but I THINK it has to be with a driver with little F1 experience. Cant remember how its defined. Something like they have to have completed less that 7 grand prixs in 3 years or similar. Dont THINK he would be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Agree that it will be great to see Michael make a few "special guest" appearances.
    I have to say that this, along with McLarens return to form will be working in Jenson Buttons favour. If they can hoover up most of the podiums, it will really dent Red Bulls chances of catching Button for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Balls.:(
    I never liked him and was glad to see the back of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait!!! Lets see an old man put kimi in his place!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Christmas has arrived early for Old Gregg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

vectra wrote: »
    woohoo
    Delighted :D

Why? Didn't think you'd be happy at the prospect of Kimi being shown up for the rest of the year. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Great news, although i hope its just a short return and Massa isn't out for long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

As this news broke i was explaining to my friend why i thought there was no chance of him coming back! Can't wait to see how he gets on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Wow. Realistically I didn't expect it would happen; as much as I thought it would be interesting, I just didn't see him getting into a car unless it was the best on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

I cant wait to see this. I already have a bet with a guy at work; Schumacher to beat Raikkonen in Valencia!

I cant wait for Valencia- mind you it is gonna be a hard task. Bad car, track he never raced, 40 years old with a bad neck- oh and he never raced this car(i think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I cant wait for Valencia- mind you it is gonna be a hard task. Bad car, track he never raced, 40 years old with a bad neck- oh and he never raced this car(i think).

I would have said he did a bit of testing as a consultant to Ferrari on the car in fairness.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on alright. I for one welcome our old overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

great news. formula 1 has not been the same since he left. id say raikonnen is not too pleased. at last f1 will be interesting again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

prob get more points den kimi :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Should be fun to see how he gets on and to see if he can do something a little special with the car. Didn't really expect to see him back but he's probably the best person to get thrown into a ferrari with not a lot of preperation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SamWiseWoahZay

Toyota, Maclaren, Ferrari, Williams and Renault (Alonso) all seemed much more competitive in Hungary which I think is great for the sport and the fans. I really enjoyed it. I must say I would like to see Schumi and Hamilton going head to head in competitive cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If ever there was a tie for me to go to a GP this is it,this is easily one of my favourite sporting moments,dont care if he comes dead last!!!!!

• Advertisement

After getting my hopes up- i just hope michael is fit enough with his injurries! Di Montezemolo said he must pass fitness tests first.
    Slightly OT, but does anyone know if tickets to valencia are sold out? Tried on f1.com and it states "off sale"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I can only wonder what the bookies are giving for a Schumi win... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I can only wonder what the bookies are giving for a Schumi win... :confused:

I'll be putting a few quid on that race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SamWiseWoahZay

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'll be putting a few quid on that race.
    F1 BETTING
    Sky Bet go 2/1 for F1 legend Michael Schumacher to win any Grand Prix this season after the dramatic news of his comeback to the sport. They are offering 16/1 for the German to win the next race in the calendar - the European Grand Prix on August 23rd and he is 3/1 to secure a podium finish in Valencia. To bet on this market click here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

F1 BETTING
    Sky Bet go 2/1 for F1 legend Michael Schumacher to win any Grand Prix this season after the dramatic news of his comeback to the sport. They are offering 16/1 for the German to win the next race in the calendar - the European Grand Prix on August 23rd and he is 3/1 to secure a podium finish in Valencia. To bet on this market click here.

Grand job, will throw a few quid on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I can't believe it. What great news. What truly truly great news.
    My hero has returned!

On a more serious note though, I would be shocked if he was in the top 3 for the first race in 4 years.
    Remember that Kimi HAS more time developing his car. MS will be getting into a car that was not designed for his driving style.
    The track will be new to him also.
    Fitness, race fitness that is.
    kers.
    Lets not forget the Hamilton factor.
    Anyway, roll on Valencia.
    Talk about re-igniting a sport !! :):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is fantastic! This is gonna spice up the next few Grand Prixs a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hopefully United will sign Eric Cantona and my sporting calendar will be greatly improved!

Delighted to see Schumi back though, does he inherit Massa's points or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

16-1 is damm good, I'll be popping a few quid on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

brilliant! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Great news, will make the rest of the season more interesting anyway!!
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Schumi back though, does he inherit Massa's points or how does it work?

Not at all. He'll start from scratch.
    Massa's points will also still stand if he returns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we just heard the news on rte, j2d2 is bouncing round the room happy out! roll on august 23rd!!!! :)

hopefully he'll show that godawful hamilton how a real professional races :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

11811 wrote: »

Not at all. He'll start from scratch.
    Massa's points will also still stand if he returns.

Thought as much. It really is great to have him back though, I wonder if Mika will get a hankering for some action if Schumi does well. I seem to remember him expressing a desire to get back in a race car recently enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is brilliant news. Can't wait until Valencia now. Very tempted to put money on a Schumi podium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

This is brilliant news. Can't wait until Valencia now. Very tempted to put money on a Schumi podium!

As much as I'd like to see him with a podium finish, I think finishing in the points is a bit more realistic... its been a while for him.

Mika had a test about 18 months ago with Mclaren I think and he was 2-3 seconds off the pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

thegoth wrote: »
    Mika had a test about 18 months ago with Mclaren I think and he was 2-3 seconds off the pace

In fairness Mikka has been out of the game a lot longer then Schumi so these cars are a world away from what he drove. Plus, Schumi has been fluttering around in the background since he left anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I can't help but feel this is a sort of publicity stunt on Ferrari's part. I'm sure there are plenty of good young drivers that could take the seat. Its certainly an easy way to distract people (and their sponsor's) from their poor season for a while.

After saying that though I'm a big Shumacher fan and can't wait.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

My one big hope for the return of The Great One, is that he gets the opportunity to show up Hamilton. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Beeb will spin it, when Schumi, in an uncompetative Ferrari, is wiping the floor with the Over- Rated Ones (Hamilton, Button)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Im over the moon about this, first time ive been this excited about F1 since he left, I found that it lost its wow factor ever since he retired, 3 and a half weeks is WAY too long to wait tho, roll on valencia!!!! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

Cant book Valencia due to a wedding, but if hes going to be at Monza, Im going to book!

• Advertisement
Advertisement