Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher is back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Like Schumacher or hate Schumacher, it doesn;t matter what side of the fence you sit on....everyone is mad excited about it!

Oh yes, as others have said, let the existing World Champions squirm (and Button)!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Seen him race in Spa Belgium in 2002, he won it that day also if memory serves me right. Half hour into race, had to ring wife to tape it as lost track of leader hehe.....

Very excited though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

mad m wrote: »
    Seen him race in Spa Belgium in 2002, he won it that day also if memory serves me right. Half hour into race, had to ring wife to tape it as lost track of leader hehe.....

Very excited though....
    I was also at that race when he won! Am trying to get tickets and flights to valencia but working out very expensive!! Hopefully he will still be round for monza! Even though masa is coming on very well with his recovery- he probably wont be back this year because it will take time for his skull to heal over.

Also- does anyone else suspect Bernie had a hand in this? Id say he is rubbing his hands together now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also- does anyone else suspect Bernie had a hand in this? Id say he is rubbing his hands together now..

Of course not, look around this forum, everyone knows Bernie and Mosely hate formula 1 and want to run it into the ground and if they can kill everyone then they'd be happy about that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Exactly what I was thinking .. a small bit of encouragment maybe.

I'm a big Schumi fan and cant wait to see him back in action but dont know if he can pull it off .. just look around here and other forums, people are expecting him to beat Kimi, show Hamiltion how to drive, show the young guys how its done etc .. I just think there will be too much adjustment for him and people will be expecting too much of him;

- Very different cars from last year let alone 2006 when schumi last raced in F1 ..
    - No testing allowed, i.e. the 1st time he'll get to drive this car will be on the Valencia race weekend
    - He can't be as fit as he was 3 years ago, especially with neck injury after bike accident and he's 40 !

Personally I believe Kimi has already shown since joining Ferrari that he's not as good as Schumi but I reckon in these circumstances Schumi will struggle to match him

... hope I'm wrong :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well that makes the Valencia a whole lot more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i absolutely LOVE it when someone comes out of retirement and kicks everyones ass, just to show them who's still boss. make us proud man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

absolutely brilliant news! I find myself so excited again about this sport :) i wished he would come back but never thought it would happen... Haha bring it on! Remember he broke his leg in 99 and was out for half the season? He came back and destroyed everyone on his comeback! I know its been a long time since he was in f1 but its so great for the sport and the fans to have such a legend back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cooker3 wrote: »
    Well that makes the Valencia a whole lot more interesting.

the only thing that would make it interesting - lets race round some industrial units.

This has Rocky 6 written all over it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait...

I had forgotten what it was like to be really excited about a G.P., I have dusted off my tifosi membership & ferrari teamwear & have booked my place 12inches from the tv!

I also think he'll be under lots of personal pressure to show the current numpties what real talent looks like...brilliant or blow it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

v10 wrote: »
    Personally I believe Kimi has already shown since joining Ferrari that he's not as good as Schumi

Having Schumi as a team-mate could spur Kimi along and have him draw inspiration, forget about the WRC and roll on as the driver he should have been at Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Weird, I was so excited when I heard this and eager for Schumi to do well but listening to Schumi fans (the F1 equivalent of an 8 year old ManU fan circa 1996) it has just sapped any enthusiasm I have and I now find myself hoping Kimi will wipe the floor with him.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The best F1 news i've ever heard!!!!! I actually can't wait for the next grand prix now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

His dominance of the sport almost killed it but this time there's a more level playing field and it will be interesting to see how he fares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hes rubbing his hands together but he wanted Alonso in the Ferrari at Valencia.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Hes rubbing his hands together but he wanted Alonso in the Ferrari at Valencia.
    Ah but he will get that next year so he'l just have to wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Great news, all the drivers will be bricking it that Schumi will expose them, games will be raised, reputations challenged, it should make for a fascinating race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Great news, all the drivers will be bricking it that Schumi will expose them, games will be raised, reputations challenged, it should make for a fascinating race!

Eh, most of them have already raced against schumi. Do you think that once he retired they all thought Oh i can just sit back and coast around now he's gone? The only one in a position to be exposed is Kimi, racing in the same car which he's more familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

De Hipster wrote: »
    I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait...

I had forgotten what it was like to be really excited about a G.P., I have dusted off my tifosi membership & ferrari teamwear & have booked my place 12inches from the tv!

agree with every single word of ur post!!! im like a child on xmas eve since it was announced, but ive total faith in him kicking some ass!! This has made my year!!!! the nxt 3 wks will be torture waiting.

wohoo the king is back!!!!! I still think im dreaming!!!

there was never any question if kimi was in schumachers league because he never was, so i dont think schuey is going to expose him as massa already did that. kimi on his day is as good as alonso/hamilton/massa but kimis problem is those days are too few and far between which is largely down to the fact his a lazy git! But im hopeing that schueys return might give kimi the kick he needs , so that he doesnt look back on his career and same dame i only won 1 title when i had the talent to win more.

Am really looking forward to Brawn v Shumi and see what the current WC can throw at him too.

enzo7 wrote: »
    im like a child on xmas eve since it was announced,

...This has made my year!!!! the nxt 3 wks will be torture waiting.

Exactly the same as that...I'm very easily pleased it seems when this can bring a smile to my face. Who needs Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I dont agree with any of that to be honest. :rolleyes:
    Eh, most of them have already raced against schumi. Do you think that once he retired they all thought Oh i can just sit back and coast around now he's gone? The only one in a position to be exposed is Kimi, racing in the same car which he's more familiar with.

I agree with a certain amount of that.
    Up to the part regarding Kimi

Is everyone forgetting that Kimi was brought in to replace Schumacher,
    Nobody in their wildest dreams actually expected Kimi to Beat everything he did. :o

vectra wrote: »
    I agree with a certain amount of that.
    Up to the part regarding Kimi

I didn't say he will be exposed. I said he's in a position to be exposed. I don't see how you can refute that.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yea he won the WC in his first year and since then doesnt look bothered apart from the odd time where he must be dying to get a ice-cream so he dials up the pace. He is Formula 1`s equivalent of Berbatov. He isnt a patch on Schumacher.

Ah well now. He was drivin like **** last weekend til it was clear he couldn't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

wooo hoooo, god is back. :D
    now i'll have to record all the races, i lost interest in F1 when schuey retired.
    all hail the return of the king.
    it was between here and where will he finish thread but i'll post it here.
    my money is on schuey to win 3/7 races and to finish in the points in all of his races.

Yea he won the WC in his first year and since then doesnt look bothered apart from the odd time where he must be dying to get a ice-cream so he dials up the pace. He is Formula 1`s equivalent of Berbatov. He isnt a patch on Schumacher.

Who is? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

wooo hoooo, god is back. :D

Senna is dead a while now so he wont be coming back :)

Nah seriously im delighted to see schumi back,what a legend.
    His return will certainly make me not want to miss any races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Dcully wrote: »
    Senna is dead a while now so he wont be coming back :)

Nah seriously im delighted to see schumi back,what a legend.
    His return will certainly make me not want to miss any races.
    unfortunately i only got interested in F1 just before senna died. i kinda grew up in the era of schumacker rather than senna. but cully i suppose you do bring up the old debate of who was the best, so i googled it and came across this.
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/05/29/ayrton-senna-vs-michael-schumacher/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Yes Yes Yes. Deadly! What a year, BMW decide their not good enough and Shumi decides he is.

Yahooooooo

Yes Yes Yes. Deadly! What a year, BMW decide their not good enough and Shumi decides he is.

Yahooooooo

LOL
    More likely it was the offer of £3 million per race made his mid up
    Bloody cheapskate. :D

Their is one thing Schumacher doesnt need and its money, he has enough of it already. He could quite happily never work again and live in his rather massive house but thats not the way he operates.

So why the 3 mil then?
    why not do it as part of his retainer of 38 Million ?
    He surely didnt need more money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Is he still obliged to only talk to German TV on the grid or can Brundle say hello?

...can Brundle say hello?

Brundle can say whatever he likes, it's not like he’s in a position to criticise Schumi on talent or career, I’d prefer to see Eddie Jordan interview him...there at the start & there for the return.

Did I mention that I’m a little excited about these events?!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I think it more got the do with the fact that schuey has no time or respect for brundle for the way martin has spoken about him over the last 10yrs or more. and does not want to waste his time giving that moran interviews.
    I do hope he does give the bbc an an interview with ej maybe.

Has anyone else found the last 2 days the longest in history, dont think i can wait another 3wks.

enzo7 wrote: »
    I think it more got the do with the fact that schuey has no time or respect for brundle for the way martin has spoken about him over the last 10yrs or more. and does not want to waste his time giving that moran interviews.
    I do hope he does give the bbc an an interview with ej maybe.

Has anyone else found the last 2 days the longest in history, dont think i can wait another 3wks.

That was 'sorta' what I was hinting at about Brundle (medicore former racing driver) regularly critising what history documents as the most sucessful F1 driver to date.

I am with you on the time factor...3 weeks wait could have me sectioned for the excitment I'll be showing as Valencia s-l-o-w-l-y approaches!

Are you calling Brundle a medicore driver?

At best (certainly in direct comparison to Schumacher) & that's probably a severe over statement!

You're comparing Brundle to Senna...that says it all for me!

• Advertisement

Did you even read my post or did u just see senna and turn off? He pushed senna all the way to the last race in F3. I never said he was better than Senna anywhere in my post.

But you did accuse me of not researching & posting as if my idea that Schumacher is vastly superior to Brundle is way off the mark.

In which case...your question was answered long ago:
    Are you calling Brundle a medicore driver?
    De Hipster wrote: »
    At best (certainly in direct comparison to Schumacher) & that's probably a severe over statement!

I originally asked if you though brundle was a average driver, you said yes and I posted some of his results which proved otherwise.

On the grand scale of things & regardless of your 'proof' I still think that Martin Brundle is a LESS than average driver.

F1 Career
    MS
    Race Starts 250
    Race Wins 91
    Podium Finish 154
    Pole Position 68
    Fastest Lap 76
    Seasons in F1 16

MB
    Race Starts 165
    Race Wins 0
    Podium Finish 9
    Pole Position 0
    Fastest Lap 0
    Seasons in F1 12

AS
    Races Starts 162
    Race Wins 41
    Podium Finishes 80
    Pole Position 65
    Fastest Lap 19
    Seasons in F1 11

My frustration was with the fact that you actually bothered to compare Brundle to Senna not that I stated you thought he was better...they don't compare IMO.

So we agree to disagree to the extreme on the value of Martin Brundle to F1; as far as I'm concerned he's an average-to-good commentator and worth plenty more to the sport in that capacity as opposed to when he was an active competitor.

It may be wrong to say that Brundle was a mediocre racing driver, but I don't think it's wrong to say he was a mediocre F1 driver. Sure he may have won some races and championships in other Formulae, but not many drivers get as far as F1 without doing similar. His F1 record isn't all that impressive and perhaps you could argue that he was never in a top car but you could make the same arguement for scores or other 'also ran' F1 drivers.

That said, I like him as a commentator/presenter.

Back on topic; I was never a fan of scumacher back in the day but I'm still really looking forward to seeing him race again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

astrofluff wrote: »
    Like Schumacher or hate Schumacher, it doesn;t matter what side of the fence you sit on....everyone is mad excited about it!

Absolutely

Well said.

He only won the title because Hamilton/McLaren F*cked up what should have been the easiest title. Lewis you are losing 7 seconds a lap, lets keep you out there for 3 more laps to watch your tyres dis-integrate before we make a decision. OOOoooopppps.

I had the feeling at the time that it was a setup by Bernie. Lewis was not allowed to win his 1st title at the 1st attempt.

I also have a lot of respect for Brundle, he deserved to win at least 1 race, and he is a decent commentator who really knows what he is talking about.

• Advertisement

Scumacher might get to test the 2009 car before valencia. A sporting decision, if true, from FOTA.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8178345.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Brundles record in a full season in the benetton as team mate to schumi doesnt look bad. No wins but came in ahead of schumi a few times and they both had a few podiums. Comparing this to all schumis other team mates and brundle begins to look v good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Also- does anyone else suspect Bernie had a hand in this?

album.php?albumid=703&pictureid=3518

mickdw wrote: »
    Brundles record in a full season in the benetton as team mate to schumi doesnt look bad. No wins but came in ahead of schumi a few times and they both had a few podiums. Comparing this to all schumis other team mates and brundle begins to look v good.

Yup, noticed that a good while back, makes Brundle look like a very unlucky man to not get a better drive.

Just reading an interview with Massa http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&id=46540 and from the way he was talking it seems as if he thinks he will be in the car again this season. Surely F1 doctors wont allow a return this year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement