Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher is back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

FIA have blocked him testing this years car according to SSN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Pricks!

Although, you can see the point since Ferrari do have 2 test drivers who have driven the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

ya thanks williams:mad:. They did make a fair point about that 19yr old (whats his name) didnt get to test either b4 bugapest. one of schueys strongests points is getting into a car he doesnt know and being right on the pace straight away, i think he'll be fine:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

enzo7 wrote: »
    ya thanks williams:mad:. They did make a fair point about that 19yr old (whats his name) didnt get to test either b4 bugapest. one of schueys strongests points is getting into a car he doesnt know and being right on the pace straight away, i think he'll be fine:).

Yeah Frank does have a point regarding Alguersuari not being allowed to test either.
    I would'nt be too worried however, Michael will get 80-100 laps of practice over the friday and saturday morning and that will be plenty of time for a driver with his talents to get used to the F60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just reading an interview with Massa http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&id=46540 and from the way he was talking it seems as if he thinks he will be in the car again this season. Surely F1 doctors wont allow a return this year?

If his only injury was a fractured skull then I can't see why he should be out all that long.

As others are saying it's a pity Schumi isn't being allowed test, but if Alguersuari get to do it then why should the best driver ever be allowed? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Frank has a point but why not tell the truth and say its because they are fighting Ferrari for 3rd in constructors championship and dont want to give them an advantage.
    Did Torro Rosso ask for permission to give Alguesuari a test, no so its not the same.

Its great that Schumacher is back but I hope Massa is back before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

amacachi wrote: »
    If his only injury was a fractured skull then I can't see why he should be out all that long.

As others are saying it's a pity Schumi isn't being allowed test, but if Alguersuari get to do it then why should the best driver ever be allowed? :P

Fangio's coming back?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fangio's coming back?:p

Nope
    Senna ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's almost as if williams had a reason (or two) to not like schumacher :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Does anyone else see the irony of all this?

Formula 1 needs to bring Michael Schumacher back to reignite interest in the sport. And fair play to ya Bernie, it's worked. The excitement over his return is like nothing I've seen before.

And who was it that drove all the "fans" away in the first place?

SCHUMACHER!!

But not me, huge Ferrari fan and huge Shuey fan. This is the best thing to happen to Formula 1 since Belgium in 1991.

Let's hope he beats the pants of that arsehole Hamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

smooch71 wrote: »

Formula 1 needs to bring Michael Schumacher back to reignite interest in the sport. And fair play to ya Bernie, it's worked. The excitement over his return is like nothing I've seen before.

SCHUMACHER!!

But not me, huge Ferrari fan and huge Shuey fan. This is the best thing to happen to Formula 1 since Belgium in 1991.

I dont see any irony in it, the only people who think F1 lacks interest due to the fact Schumey left are Schumey fan boys.

If Alain Prost decided to come back tomorrow people would be excited as well....doesnt mean F1 died the day he left the cockpit.:rolleyes:

SCHUMACHER!!

Whats it got to do with Bernie? I didn't know interest was fading, they have been increasing the TV numbers over the last few years. Maybe Ferrari need him to reignite Ferrari.
    I doubt fans that Schumacher drove away are happy to see him back!

I dont see any irony in it, the only people who think F1 lacks interest due to the fact Schumey left are Schumey fan boys.

If Alain Prost decided to come back tomorrow people would be excited as well....doesnt mean F1 died the day he left the cockpit.:rolleyes:

You're missing my point entirely. I never said F1 lacked interest since he left.

What I meant was that Schumachers dominance drove a lot of so called fans away.

And his return that has sparked unprecented interest. You don't see that as ironic at all?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Whats it got to do with Bernie? I didn't know interest was fading, they have been increasing the TV numbers over the last few years. Maybe Ferrari need him to reignite Ferrari.
    I doubt fans that Schumacher drove away are happy to see him back!

Schumachers dominance drove a lot of viewers away and the figures dropped when he was winning 5 titles in a row. That's fact.

But not his fault and perfectly normal.

The same thing has happened in the WRC with Sebastian Loeb, tennis with Pete Sampras, snooker with Stephen Hendry etc.

You're right though, figures had started to slowly increase since someone else started winning but with all the political stuff going on with talk of a split etc, F1 was getting some seriously bad press.

Unfortunately, Massa's accident happened at just the right time and there's no doubt that Bernie wanted either Alonso (his first choice I reckon) or Schumacher in the Ferrari. So there can be no doubt that he had a hand in it all.

Now there's huge interest in F1 for the right reason, why? Because Scheuy, love him or hate him is coming out of retirement. It makes for a great story and Bernie loves it.

Now there's huge interest in F1 for the right reason, why? Because Scheuy, love him or hate him is coming out of retirement. It makes for a great story and Bernie loves it.

Bernie might love it but i doubt he had anything to do with it, he will take the credit though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I'm really hoping that it's neck & neck between the Brawn crew & Schumi. Old mates now rivals...should make everyone lift their game a notch.

De Hipster wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that it's neck & neck between the Brawn crew & Schumi. Old mates now rivals...should make everyone lift their game a notch.

I am really hoping that Kimi will be able to keep him at bay :D

vectra wrote: »
    I am really hoping that Kimi will be able to keep him at bay :D

I hate to say it but I think Kimi's given up on F1.

He looked and sounded far happier at Rally Finland than I've seen him in a long time at a gp.

At least we can still support him if he changes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

He looked and sounded far happier at Rally Finland than I've seen him in a long time at a gp.

'cept when engine trouble resulted in distracting him to upsidedown!

De Hipster wrote: »
    'cept when engine trouble resulted in distracting him to upsidedown!

This is true

If Ferrari gave him a winning car he would be happy looking as well
    Reason he was happy last weekend was there was no pressure on him.

He lost intrest the day he won that title.

To hav a winning car you need a driver who has an intrest to put the time in kimi doesnt. Thats why maylasia annoyed me sooo much instead of going for an icecream he should hav been going over that data trying to find out why they were so slow, looking for anything small thing that could improve the car.

He lost intrest the day he won that title.

To hav a winning car you need a driver who has an intrest to put the time in kimi doesnt.

They cant really put any more time in this year as testing is banned. :confused:
    Thats why maylasia annoyed me sooo much instead of going for an icecream he should hav been going over that data trying to find out why they were so slow, looking for anything small thing that could improve the car.

All the "going over the data" would not have made that car any faster.
    Nopoint in flogging a dead donkey.
    I can assure you, Give Kimi a winning car and ye would be all praising him as if he was the second Schumacher :rolleyes:

They cant really put any more time in this year as testing is banned. :confused:

I can assure you, Give Kimi a winning car and ye would be all praising him as if he was the second Schumacher :rolleyes:

Except Schumacher didn't always need a "winning car".

• Advertisement

Indeed
    Hence Alonso whooped his ass twice :D

You hit the nail on the head, that's the difference between them.

As Enzo said, Kimi won the title and hasn't had the same level of interest since.

He's a first class driver but if he's lost interest, he's not even going to try.

I'm a fan of Kimi too but I think I can recognise when a driver's acting like he's had enough.

Of cource it would if he could find 1 small thing on the data he could try work on it during practice at the nxt race dats could be a little step foward. But if you dont look ur not going see anything.

kimi had a winning car last yr except he didnt do much winning . Kimi the 2nd schumacher you having a laugh now no one in their right mind woulds every call him that. Im not a kimi fan because ive no time for lazy gits who waste their talent.But i am a fan of his talent on the odd occasion we see it. Noone is denying he isnt a very talent driver i would hav always put him in my top 3 and he still is. Unfortunately for kimi that isnt enough and thats such a shame because he had the talent to achieve so much more.

how did a schumacher thread turn into a kimi discussion:confused:

Of cource it would if he could find 1 small thing on the data he could try work on it during practice at the nxt race dats could be a little step foward. But if you dont look ur not going see anything.

Nothing in terms of data analising on any drivers behalf would have improved that car. Hence it was basically dumped for the B spec.
    kimi had a winning car last yr except he didnt do much winning .

As did Massa.
    So why is Kimi being bashed over it?
    so had Kubica.
    Just bad luck says it all.

Kimi the 2nd schumacher you having a laugh now no one in their right mind woulds every call him that.

I never called him that
    I said had he got a winning car people would be praising him as the 2nd schuie.
    You must have spotted the smiley I used :rolleyes:
    But i am a fan of his talent on the odd occasion we see it. Noone is denying he isnt a very talent driver i would hav always put him in my top 3 and he still is. Unfortunately for kimi that isnt enough and thats such a shame because he had the talent to achieve so much more.

He still is telanted,
    Any team that can give him a winning ( reliable ) car from the off and he wont be caught for the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Some of Schumacher's best performances were in cars that could never be described as 'winning'. Catalunya 1996 springs to mind. We've all seen what happens when a driver is given an obviously 'winning car' - Hill 1996, Villeneuve 1997, Hakkinen 1998/99, Schumacher 2002/04, Button 2009(?). I'm a big fan of Raikkonen, and I'd like to see him getting the most out of a mediocre car, just like Schumacher did during his first four years at Ferrari. Hopefully the return of Schumacher will be just the kick up the arse he needs.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    Hopefully the return of Schumacher will be just the kick up the arse he needs.

:D
    True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I can assure you, Give Kimi a winning car and ye would be all praising him as if he was the second Schumacher

Theyre all great drivers if they have the best car.
    A true winner is one who can win in a mediocre car

As did Massa.
    So why is Kimi being bashed over it?

Because Massa came to within a corner of winning the title in the same car.

manta356 wrote: »
    Theyre all great drivers if they have the best car.
    A true winner is one who can win in a mediocre car

So where is the mighty Alonso this year in his Mediocre car :rolleyes:
    Because Massa came to within a corner of winning the title in the same car.

Hmm.
    So,
    Does that automatically make Massa slightly better than Kimi.:confused:

Hmm.
    So,
    Does that automatically make Massa slightly better than Kimi.:confused:

Not necessarily in terms of talent or ability.

But in terms of attitude and interest? Yes, definitely.

Kimi had a potential championship winning car last year yet only won 2 races in it near the start of the season. Massa won 6 races in the same car and was consistant throughout the whole year.

It was pretty obvious that Kimi was losing interest as the season went on.

It was pretty obvious that Kimi was losing interest as the season went on.

It was more obvious that as Ferrari were upgrading the car as the year went on it became more uundrivable for Kimi's style.
    ;)

It was more obvious that as Ferrari were upgrading the car as the year went on it became more uundrivable for Kimi's style.
    ;)

Yeah....

I'm sure that was probably it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

;)
    If he were that good he wouldn't need a car to suit his style, his style would adapt. Massa isn't the best driver of all time, but he won more races than anyone last year, and his engine packed it in 3 laps from the end of a certain win which would have earned him the title. That's called winning attitude, something Kimi only had for exactly half a season. Luckily for him, because Alonso and Hamilton were too busy bickering, that was enough to sail past them. Even at that Kimi was lucky to win the title, a poor tyre decision by Ham and McLaren meant that he stayed out on crap tyres too long and threw the title away (happily!).
    Kimi is one of the most naturally talented drivers on the grid, but he's a waste of space. Last weekend was his only race of the year so far.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    If he were that good he wouldn't need a car to suit his style, his style would adapt. Massa isn't the best driver of all time, but he won more races than anyone last year, and his engine packed it in 3 laps from the end of a certain win which would have earned him the title. That's called winning attitude, something Kimi only had for exactly half a season. Luckily for him, because Alonso and Hamilton were too busy bickering, that was enough to sail past them. Even at that Kimi was lucky to win the title, a poor tyre decision by Ham and McLaren meant that he stayed out on crap tyres too long and threw the title away (happily!).
    Kimi is one of the most naturally talented drivers on the grid, but he's a waste of space. Last weekend was his only race of the year so far.

couldnt hav said it better myself.

Tea 1000 wrote: »

If we wasnt that good he wouldnt be driving for Ferrari
    Cant deny that
    2007..??
    Kimi had 2 retirements
    Massa had 2 retirements
    Alonso had 1 retirement
    Lewis had 1 retirement
    Kimi still beat them all.!
    How did that happen I wonder?
    Consistancy maybe??

2008:
    Kimi = 2 ret
    Massa = 2 ret
    Lewis = 1 ret
    Alonso = 3 ret

Kimi ended 3rd in the wdc
    Why didnt Massa win last year?
    Not consistant
    He made some display of his inexperience with one particalur race ( bashing contest ) with Lewis last season.

Anyhow
    Back on topic

Schumacher is known as the greatest driver of all time.
    And I hope Kimi kicks his a$$ :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Schumi come back not yet certain http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=46555
    Think she is only trying to build up hype!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just on the radio there too. :(

His neck isn't up to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

I'm really disappointed that Schumi wont be making a comeback. I've never been looking forward to a Grand Prix as much as I was looking forward to Valencia. Its a real shame.

On a brighter note, I'm happy for Luca Badeor. It's great for him to get this reward for his loyalty to Ferrari. And I hope he manages to score some points for once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

my heart just dropped a few cm's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Gutted. Would have been great to watch. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

v10 wrote: »
    Gutted. Would have been great to watch. :(
    +1 :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Absolutely sickened, was massively looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They give it and then they take it away. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Come back Mika Hakkinen,all is forgiven for driving a McLaren... ;)

Advertisement