Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A female perspective

Options
  • 29-07-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This is my first timid foray into the forbidden realm of the ladies lounge. So please forgive any line crossings or mis-steps

Anyway, I'll get straight to the point. I've been working on a novel for a couple of years. The main themes are religious violence and forbidden love. The novel is set primarily in India though the main characters have spent a significant portion of their lives in Ireland. At its heart, it's a love story. I've had some feedback from friends and things but would love to get some opinions from complete strangers. And I really feel I need some female perspective, since I think they are going to end up being the main target audience for the book.

I'm looking for a few of you erudite ladies to cast your critical eye over a few chapters. Options are: First six chapters, or chapters 4-6 or just chapter 4. (you can read more ofc if you want to) The catch is that I'm on a bit of a deadline, so ideally I'm looking for people who can get back to me within a week or so.

I'm not sure if this post is more appropriate in the creative writing forum, but I figured there would be more women who like to read here, and I'm looking for a more general opinion than from just other writers.

Thanks for letting me take up a little space in your zone and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,

Memnoch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya, if you're still looking for someone I'd love to to read over it. Have run out of books here, not allowed to buy any more until I get rid of some of my old ones. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Hi. You can PM me if you like. I'm more interested in the India connection rather than the female perspective but I can have a glance at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Thanks a lot helena and Durga, have sent PM's to you both.

If anyone else is interested also please feel free to jump in. I figure the more opinions the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Hi Memnoch,

You can PM me re this. I have Indian friends and am interested in this topic. I managed to get through Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy" and was amazed how relevant some of it is today. Currently reading Salman Rushdie's "Midnight Children".

Wow,
    A suitable boy, is actually one of my favorite novels. I absolutely loved it. And you are so right about its relevance. In fact, that is something that struck me very strongly when writing my own book. How so many things in India today are EXACTLY as they were 60 years ago.

Thanks for the offer Emme, have pm'd you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I would love to read over it.

thanks skywards!
    Have sent you a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Hey! I would love to read and help you :D
    I love reading under ground authors I'm a member of a few online communitys that have under ground authors and like to hear strangers opionions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

Hi Ya,

I would love to read it! Like helena.ryan I'm not allowed to buy any more new books! :(

thanks a bunch to disco and shivvy, have pm'd you both!

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

i can help out if you'd like some more opinions......

Thanks ciagr,
    Have pm'd you. 7 ladies of the lounge have generously offered their time so far. I read somewhere that you need at least 8 independent opinions before you can adequately judge the strength of the feedback I think that ten opinions would be the best to play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

hey, i'm free for reading, i'l be number 8!

thanks Gymjim have PM'd you. I have to say I'm really overwhelmed by the amazing response thus far. So thank you once again to everyone who replied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

id love to have a read if its any help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Would also be really interested to read it if you still need people :)

thanks for the offer Saranne, have sent you a pm.

Would also be really interested to read it if you still need people :)

Thanks for the offer, have pm'd you.

I think that at this point I should have a diverse enough range of feedback. So thanks again to everyone who's offered so far.

Regards,

Memnoch.

Advertisement