Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing lock on PVC sliding door

Options
  • 29-07-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm installing a sliding door security lock on the sliding door at the back of the house.

The lock is a little barrell ,it needs a hole drilled to recieve the locking pin.

The barrell is mounted using two screws on to the door frame.

I am going to mount it in the bottom corner.

I dont know much about the pvc door, does anyone know what material the door is and frame, as in is it hollow metal or pvc ,or solid metal pvc?

I need to know what the frame is made from so I can make sure the mounting screws can be securely fastened tight.

See pic attached ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

looks like an aluminium door ( metal) not sure about the frame.

you can tell by the joint in the corner of the window. alot of pvc doors have a 45 degrees angle joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I installed the same lock. Put it at the top of the door so the kids dont lock it accidently. It out of reach and out of site behind the blind usually

it also looks like an alluminium door to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Good idea to put it up high, I think I'll do that instead.

I think your right its an alliminum door. The frame at the floor looks to be pvc.

The frame at the top looks to be alliminum also.

How do the screws that mount the lock grip ? I mean if it was a wall I would probably insert a raul plug to give the screws a grip.

Are the screws meant to grip the frame ?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No, don't put it on the top. It has to go on the bottom. It stops the door simply being lifted off the bottom slide rail. It will do nothing if you put it on the top.

/edit Drill small pilot holes and use self-tapping screws.

Hagar wrote: »
    No, don't put it on the top. It has to go on the bottom. It stops the door simply being lifted off the bottom slide rail. It will do nothing if you put it on the top

Sorry hager I never thought of that... My fumble. The screws are self tappers so they will go into the aluminium fine with small pilotes

Figuring though if they go far enough to pull the door off your fooked anyway. I had an alarm. Its just the lock was extra security cause my brother bust my original lock coming in one night.

Put it down low - The door cant come off but the kids might lock it.. Sh1ts

Put it up high - The kids cant lock it but the baxtards might pull it off.

Although hager thinking now I fixed mine to the frame and drilled the door to receive so there was no chance of the door lifting?

Curious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if this type of lockl was on the bottom would it not be pointless?
    maybe i am thinking about diffrent lock

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I would have thought that putting the lock at the bottom would be pointless as the door could be lifted off. The bolt would just slide out of the receiver hole.

On the other hand putting it on the top would prevent the door from being lifted and so prevent it from being moved off the rail.

Perhaps I am totally wrong or maybe the lock is different to the one I am thinking of.

Any chance of posting a photo of the lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

I have attached pic of lock and where it would go if installed in bottom corner.

Thinking about it ,if the door was lifted up off the rail having the lock pin at the top of the door inserted into the frame would give a little more protection

The lock at the bottom may not guard against pulling door off rail.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get door off rail - the main reason i'm putting the security lock is because I have heard of some break ins lately in area and I asked a gard and he was saying its possible to pull the barrel out of the lock from the outside with a vice grips.

I heard of storied where the glass is removed but according to the gard ,it is too much hassle and not very common. I dont know how easy or common it is to take door off rail from locked position ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

In my opinion for these locks to be effective you need to fit two locks one top and one bottom.

Forgot to mention they should be in opposite corners

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention they should be in opposite corners

Reckon it would be no harm! Feck it put 4 on! :D

Only kidding 2 makes sense! To be sure as such

Reckon it would be no harm! Feck it put 4 on! :D

Only kidding 2 makes sense! To be sure as such

Four and get out the welder:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Woodies are selling these locks off for €20 ea. (reduced from €34). Don't know if this is a great bargain or if they are available cheaper elsewhere.

danjo wrote: »
    Woodies are selling these locks off for €20 ea. (reduced from €34). Don't know if this is a great bargain or if they are available cheaper elsewhere.

I bought mine in woodies came in red packaging a white or silver lock

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

I have heard of sliding doors been removed recently aswell.

To fit these do you simply drill 2 holes into the frame. Screw on the attachment.

Then drill a bigger hole in the sliding door itself so the bolt can slide into that?

Might get a couple of these myself.

Advertisement