Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in North Co Dublin for the oldies!

Options
  • 29-07-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I have my parents (in their 60's) coming up from Cork for the weekend. I live in Malahide and they've already been up to me twice so they've seen all that Malahide has to offer (that took about an hour!) and been out around Howth. Just wondering if there's any nice places to go see, things to do etc in North Co Dublin that they might enjoy? They don't drink so unfortunately I can't just dump them in the pub for the weekend :D

We'll have the car so can drive anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Mills in Skerries, Ardgillan for a stroll on a fine day - Nice view
    Newbridge hasn't a ny great view but It's nice enough. THese all have somewhere for a cuppa and a bun after.

Any of the beaches for a stroll again on a fine day or the cliff walk from Portrane to Donabate beach

The Seamus Ennis centre in the Naul if they like Trad Music

Dinner in Stoops or Blue in Skerries again if it's fine, they can watch the sun set over the sea on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

B/H weekend Dublin playing Monday so I would imagine there will be a good buzz around the city all week end. Fingal is not great for museaum but there may be tour of Ardgillen.

I always enjoy the national history museaum, and Collins Barracks usually has a good exhibition on. Both are free in and there is plenty of coffee shops and places for a snack.

There is a good cliff walk in Rush also. You can park at six cross lane and walk to The Drummagh but its an easier walk from Loughshinny. However if its windy take care as the cliffs can be dangerous and the paths will be wet after the rain. Might be worth checking out www.fingal.ie to see if they have any events planned for any of their parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

National History Museum is still closed as far as I know.

What about Farmleigh House in the Phoenix Park or the Botanic Gardens (not NCD but close enough!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

The Afterdark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If the weathers nice then a nice day out in either Ardgillan or Malahide Castles can't be beat. Or else a nice drive up the back roads going towards the Naul is also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Larianne wrote: »
    National History Museum is still closed as far as I know.

What about Farmleigh House in the Phoenix Park or the Botanic Gardens (not NCD but close enough!).

Some of the Dead Zoo is now in Collins Barracks.

Some of the Dead Zoo is now in Collins Barracks.

Deadly. Might head off there sometime soon.

Clarebear, if you parents have decent hearts and don't mind the sea how about http://www.seasafari.ie/ Something I'd like to do myself but haven't managed it yet and I think you set off from Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Clarebear, if you parents have decent hearts and don't mind the sea how about http://www.seasafari.ie/ Something I'd like to do myself but haven't managed it yet and I think you set off from Malahide.

That sounds brilliant! Thanks Larianne. I'd love that myself too if they're up for it.

Thanks everyone for your help, some great tips there on places to go see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just make sure you ring in advance, i know they only go on certain days.

In malahide castle you could always look the fry model railway, then just walking around the grounds is a nice way to spend an hour or two.

You could always go towards town where you would a lot more options to choose from, guinness store house, viking splash etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Skerries Mills on a Saturday morning as there is a lovely Farmer's market there afaik.
    Ardgillen Castle is nearby and there are some lovely walks and the gardens are nice.
    Newbridge House in Donabate is another stately home.
    Are you sure you brought them around Malahide in an hour? ;-) Malahide Castle boasts the Fry Model Railway, The Museum of Childhood (apologies if I've got the title wrong), and the castle itself. I've whiled away many a full day up there with a big picnic in the good weather. In the bad weather I head out to the garden centre (gardenworks) although I believe the coffee shop here has been turned into a franchise for the past couple of years which is a shame.
    The sea safari isn't for the faint hearted but you can take a place on a boat in Howth to go out to Ireland's Eye and back. That's much more genteel!The Transport Museum in Howth along with a drive up to Deerpark for the view over the bay is worth a trip. Wander down to the pier afterwards for some fish'n chips and a look at the boats.
    A visit to Newgrange (Bru na Boinne) won't take you too long and it's a straight drive up the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Eoineo wrote: »

A visit to Newgrange (Bru na Boinne) won't take you too long and it's a straight drive up the motorway.

30 minutes from Malahide if you get off at the right exit. Hear on Liveline during the week there is a problem with signage so as far as I know only follow the sign with "Bru Na Boinne". Apparently there is a townland with the name Newgrange and this causes some confusion.

So Clare Bear, what you end up doing? (Yeah, I'm a bit nosey!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Went to Newbridge House, Ardgillen Castle, the Mills in Skerries and spent a day in town, went to Collins Barracks and Trinity. All were great. Thanks for all the help, wouldn't have known about the first three if it wasn't for here and they had a great weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Ardgillan is beautiful. We got married there in the castle itself and it was spectacular. The staff were really helpful. Not many people realise you can marry there - we were the first to ask about it! So for anyone looking for a beautiful venue for a civil ceremony Ardgillan is the place to go in NCD! Spread the word - they don't charge a fortune and I'd love to see more people marry there as it would be great revenue and publicity for the castle

sorry for going off topic a bit, just wanted to promote Ardgillan so people realise its more than just nice for a walk! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Ardgillan is beautiful. We got married there in the castle itself and it was spectacular. The staff were really helpful. Not many people realise you can marry there - we were the first to ask about it! So for anyone looking for a beautiful venue for a civil ceremony Ardgillan is the place to go in NCD! Spread the word - they don't charge a fortune and I'd love to see more people marry there as it would be great revenue and publicity for the castle

sorry for going off topic a bit, just wanted to promote Ardgillan so people realise its more than just nice for a walk! ;)

Thats very interesting, will have to have a look at that ;)

Advertisement