Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial Landcruiser - road tax, insurance, vrt etc

• 29-07-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Maybe ye guys can clarify this for me -

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand commercial landcruiser (2 seater). I do all the towing on the farm, mart with cattle, etc..... and I have been told by a few neighbours that the cops are now pulling for this...ordinary car with trailer. I work off farm full time also, but not in a job that requires a 4x4.

Can I tax the 4x4 as commercial even if the farm is not in my name? How much?

can I insure it privately?

Can I NCT it or does it have to DOE'd?

I'm getting conflicting answers everwhere I look....help ! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bagaspuds wrote: »
    Maybe ye guys can clarify this for me -

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand commercial landcruiser (2 seater). I do all the towing on the farm, mart with cattle, etc..... and I have been told by a few neighbours that the cops are now pulling for this...ordinary car with trailer. I work off farm full time also, but not in a job that requires a 4x4.

Can I tax the 4x4 as commercial even if the farm is not in my name? How much?

YES approx 270-280

can I insure it privately? Depends on which company

Can I NCT it or does it have to DOE'd? DOE

I'm getting conflicting answers everwhere I look....help ! :mad:

similar thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055288254

try Setanta

http://www.setantainsurance.com/
    setanta will mirror your car NCB if you have 1 (car doesnt have to be insured with them)

or Lloyds or Asgard for insurance

FBD wiil try to rob you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if you have a commercial jeep in waterford and you want to tax it commercial you have to provide a vat number and letter from the revenue,also a letter from the tax office that your taxs are up to date , a letter has to be signed in garda station also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

had no such difficulty in Clare, didnt care what i did with jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 macflea

hi

1.tax about 280 a year from what i can remember. once registered as commercil always commercial unless you put seats in then a passenger model then tax over 1000 euros but not sure. so any body can buy one and just pay commercial tax rate. no need for vat certs or guards signing anything.just pop to tax office to retax it.however can tax it online sa doe cannt be entered.
    2.insurance for me 440 pounds quinn direct for driving in uk and ireland , most irish companies wont cover a commercial policy in uk , left fbd went to quinn direct as they will do both countries.
    3.needs a doe every year costs 80 euros i think , ithink thats what i paid last time.
    4. if you are registered for vat you can claim vat back on it 21 percent if not you cant
    5.great for parking in loading bay in cork city no need for parking tickets
    6. about 80 euros to fill get about 440 miles but all depends on pump price and how heavy your foot is, so a bit heavy if you are used to a car , had vw passat that rang on smell of diesel
    7.loads available at moment and cheap, since the recession came, can not see depreciated any more
    8. i have a clare registered 03 newer model, gold, second owner immaculate condition 90000 miles i nevered used for towing was looking for 11000 euros no vet claimed on it . couldnt get rid of it so brought it with me to uk. so you have no problem getting a bargain at home at momemnt loads of builder floogging 07 for nowt.
    macflea

macflea wrote: »
    hi

1.tax about 280 a year from what i can remember. once registered as commercil always commercial unless you put seats in then a passenger model then tax over 1000 euros but not sure. so any body can buy one and just pay commercial tax rate. no need for vat certs or guards signing anything.just pop to tax office to retax it.however can tax it online sa doe cannt be entered.
    2.insurance for me 440 pounds quinn direct for driving in uk and ireland , most irish companies wont cover a commercial policy in uk , left fbd went to quinn direct as they will do both countries.
    3.needs a doe every year costs 80 euros i think , ithink thats what i paid last time.
    4. if you are registered for vat you can claim vat back on it 21 percent if not you cant
    5.great for parking in loading bay in cork city no need for parking tickets
    6. about 80 euros to fill get about 440 miles but all depends on pump price and how heavy your foot is, so a bit heavy if you are used to a car , had vw passat that rang on smell of diesel
    7.loads available at moment and cheap, since the recession came, can not see depreciated any more
    8. i have a clare registered 03 newer model, gold, second owner immaculate condition 90000 miles i nevered used for towing was looking for 11000 euros no vet claimed on it . couldnt get rid of it so brought it with me to uk. so you have no problem getting a bargain at home at momemnt loads of builder floogging 07 for nowt.
    macflea
    flea pop down to waterford and tax your jeep and we will see how smart you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

leg wax wrote: »
    if you have a commercial jeep in waterford and you want to tax it commercial you have to provide a vat number and letter from the revenue,also a letter from the tax office that your taxs are up to date , a letter has to be signed in garda station also.

I have never heard of anything like that before. Should the rules for commercial taxing be the same throughout Ireland?

kfk wrote: »
    I have never heard of anything like that before. Should the rules for commercial taxing be the same throughout Ireland?
    i dont know but thats what happened me when i went into waterford city council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Would it be feasible for you to get a mailing service with an address in a different county?
    Something like this crowd: http://www.mbeireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 macflea

leg wax,

wasnt been smart , just telling the lad my experiance with a land cruiser here in cork .dont know what your problem is? and couldnt care.

hi bagaspuds,
    pop into a local toyota dealer and enquire about second hands , they will be able to help you, happy driving.

cheerrs macflea

Advertisement