Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat - Broken Paw

Options
  • 29-07-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just found a kitten in my garden and it appears to have a broken paw (front paw), it is just dragging along the ground.
    Can cats paws be reset? If I take it to a vet can anything be done?

Also, it's eye is a bit of a mess too.

I've attached a photo (Be warned, it is not a pleasant sight) but I want to know if ye reckon anything can be done for the little fellow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh sweet JEBUS that poor little darlin --- Can you get it to the vet asap?
    Eyes can be sewn up if it's too far and the paw might be able to be reset -- only the vet would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Hi, good on you for wanting to help it. It looks in a pretty bad way, what with the eye and the paw, but do please bring it to a vet - at the very least the vet can put the poor thing out of its misery. They can set broken paws, but I'm afraid it will probably be costly and that leg does look pretty twisted.

Poor little mite...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

DBIreland wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just found a kitten in my garden and it appears to have a broken paw (front paw), it is just dragging along the ground.
    Can cats paws be reset? If I take it to a vet can anything be done?

Also, it's eye is a bit of a mess too.

I've attached a photo (Be warned, it is not a pleasant sight) but I want to know if ye reckon anything can be done for the little fellow.
    Yes. Take the kitten to a vet right away.
    If your local vet is closed, there will be an emergency after-hours vet's phone number on their answering service.
    That kitten is in pain and needs attention asap.
    Tonight... not tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Take it to the Vet asap please! Where are you based? Most Vets in Dublin have evening opening hours for an hour or two and could still be open. If not there should be an emergency vet on call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Please take this baby to a vet now! So much can be fixed - but the sooner the better!

Please keep us posted on this beautiful guys outcome! Cats can cope well on 3 legs & with only 1 eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Hi,
    Me again. Thanks for the advice, we are trying to source a vet locally for tonight but we are in west Limerick and 24 hour services are few and far between (for cats at least).

I have fed the cat and it wolfed it down, licked the plate cean.

The cat hisses at me everytime I get within 4 or 5 feet so catching it will be an adventure. Any tips on catching a possibly feral cat? Especially with the injuries he has, this is going to be tough.

Have you got a cat carrier? If so, maybe if you put food into it the kitten will follow. My cats like sleeping in cardboard boxes when they're not feeling well, so maybe if you put a box down it might go into it on its own.

Good luck!

Blueprint,

I actually only got a cat myself last week but do not have any carrier yet.
    I will try a cardboard box but this cat ain't friendly.

The wife is contacting a vet now so hopefully he will advise us on what can be done and when.

Thanks for all your advice so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm a dog person not mad about cats at all but that is a heart wrenching picture. Fair play to you for trying to help the poor creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Tis a good sign the poor thing ate all it's food! must have been starving, but the fact it can eat it and run away from you means it's got hope :)

• Advertisement

The cat has escaped.

The vet said he could call in the morning but until then just catch the cat and keep it safe.

Myself and the wife tried catching the cat but we managed to run away and escape. He has gone into some hedges and I can't seem to find him at all.

I'm a bit gutted but seeing as we have fed him once before he might come back tomorrow. If he does we'll call the vet and get him to bring a cat trap.

Sorry the story doesn't have a better ending but thank you to everyone for your advice.

That's a shame, but hopefully it will come back for more food soon.

It is a good sign that it's so lively and able to get away, as it means it's still got a lot of fight left in it - hopefully you'll be able to catch it in the morning.

The cat has escaped.

The vet said he could call in the morning but until then just catch the cat and keep it safe.

Myself and the wife tried catching the cat but we managed to run away and escape. He has gone into some hedges and I can't seem to find him at all.

I'm a bit gutted but seeing as we have fed him once before he might come back tomorrow. If he does we'll call the vet and get him to bring a cat trap.

Sorry the story doesn't have a better ending but thank you to everyone for your advice.
    He'll come back for food.
    If it comes to it, your vet can give you a sedative tablet to put in his food so that you can catch him.
    In the meantime, leave a cardboard box on its side somewhere in the garden where he can shelter tonight. Throw in a few old towels or something he can bed down on.

Good thinking Rancid, I'll stick a box outside now and see if he comes back.
    Thanks.

Good thinking Rancid, I'll stick a box outside now and see if he comes back.
    Thanks.
    Put a *small* amount of food in there too. When it's quiet he'll find his way into it.
    Your best chance to catch him will be in the morning when he's hungry again. Could you try to feed him in a porch or something like that?
    They always panic when you're trying to trap them which makes it even harder.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Poor little guy.

It looks like it was done by a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What about contact a nearby rescue to see if they can lend you a humane cat trap to catch the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

he might not be feral, just traumatised poor fella.

if fixing the paw is out of the question the vet may amputate... having it done so young means he has a good chance of dealing with it well and adjusting.

i hope he comes back, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

DB, as others have said, the fact he's eating and drinking are good - cats have incredible ways of dealing with their pain, and they don't like to show it much - but he's almost certainly in agony. He may also be in far worse shape than he looks, due to the 'hide it' mentality cats have when injured.

However, his injuries may be extremely treatable. The problems will set in the longer he's left untreated - infections and complications may kill him. As the others have said, tempt him with food / a cardboard box.

You'll need to decide what you're doing with him before you go to the vet. If you say "I want to keep this guy as a pet, do your thing and bill me for it" the vet will treat him. If you say "I found this feral in my garden and he's injured" then don't be surprised if they'll say either "Okay we'll put him to sleep" or "What do you expect us to do with him?" Veterinary practices are businesses, not rescue centres.

Whatever you do, good luck to you and him (her?!) both.

Any update on that poor little kitten?
    Did he show up for food this morning?

• Advertisement

He did turn up again this morning after I had left for work. The wife fed him and called the vet, but when the vet arrived the cat had gone again.

I'm sure he'll be back everyday until we catch him.

He'll keep turning up for food, that's true.
    Your vet sounds ok, consider asking him for a tranquiliser tablet to put in the kitten's food to sedate him and hopefully catch him more easily.
    The sooner those injuries are treated the better the chance of recovery.
    At least he's taking food, that much is good.
    He'll be back again this evening, I'm sure.
    Good luck!

Quick update...

We have caught the kitten!

Lured him into the house with a plate of Whiskas and he is now in the downstairs toilet with food and water.

Vet is coming in the morning and will see what he can do.

Our own kitten is spending a lot of time sniffing the door and trying to look under it, he knows this other cat is about. He keeps arching his back and his hair is standing on end.

I'll update ye all once the vet has had his say.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help and advice. It's been much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done on catching the kitten - please keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Well done on catching the kitten - please keep us updated

+1

Despite it's condition it is a very cute looking kitten. Fair play on putting in the effort and hopefully there'll be good news tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Great news! I hope the vet is able to save the paw, but I have met very happy 3 legged cats...

Great news!
    Good work on catching him, never easy, I know!

Just a thought... don't feed the kitten in the morning in case the vet wants to go straight ahead with surgery or X-rays and the anaesthetic is safer if the stomach is empty.

Maybe feed him last thing tonight, he sounds like he's making up for lost time with his appetite, poor little guy. :)

Fingers crossed for him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

DBIreland great and compasionate work you have done,fair play to you:)
    if i had come across this post sooner i would have suggested a blanket thrown over it,i managed to catch injured cats that way(little devils!)

a domestic cat we had once broke its leg and despite the leg being plastered twice and a *bucket*being put on head she got the plaster off twice!!!vet said just leave it,i was sceptical but it healed fine:confused:
    your poor kitty looks like it might need an amputation but he/she would learn to live with it if you were willing to keep it:)
    the eye only the vet can decide:(

also the domestic cat we had needed antibiotics one time,if we put the capsule in her food she ate all but the tablet!if we crushed it she would not touch the food,had to use the physical force-tickle the throat method in the end:)(i mention that as trying to get a cat to eat a tranquilisor is..........LOL)

My main reason for posting(as other posters and yourself have said and done everything possible)is i know lots of people who would do what yous have said and done but could not afford a vets fees,they get very distressed about it:(
    does anybody here know who or were they could turn to???other than having them put to sleep?
    thanks in advance:)

ynotdu wrote: »
    also the domestic cat we had needed antibiotics one time,if we put the capsule in her food she ate all but the tablet!if we crushed it she would not touch the food,had to use the physical force-tickle the throat method in the end:)(i mention that as trying to get a cat to eat a tranquilisor is..........LOL)...
    Oh I so totally agree with you! They eat around the tablet, lick it and avoid it!

That applies to well-fed domestic cats, but abandoned or feral *hungry* cats will more often than not wolf down any food offered as fast as they can, even with a tablet hidden in it.
    It worked for me many years ago catching a VERY wild and strong tom.

• Advertisement

Hey all,
    The vet has been and the poor kitten has been put down.

The injuries were quite severe but would have been operable but the fact was that the cat was wild and very aggressive meant we could not keep it.
    We have a 7 month old child and the vet said that he would never be tamed enough to be left near a baby.
    He also said that there were no Rescue centres locally that would take in a wild cat especially at this time of the year so he advised the best thing would be to put the kitten to sleep.

Wish it had worked out differently as he was a beautiful kitten.

Advertisement