Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat - Broken Paw

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

That's a pity. 'Tis better for the wee thing than having to fend for itself in the state it was in. Again, fair play for your effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

awwwwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

DBIreland wrote: »
    Hey all,
    The vet has been and the poor kitten has been put down.

The injuries were quite severe but would have been operable but the fact was that the cat was wild and very aggressive meant we could not keep it.
    We have a 7 month old child and the vet said that he would never be tamed enough to be left near a baby.
    He also said that there were no Rescue centres locally that would take in a wild cat especially at this time of the year so he advised the best thing would be to put the kitten to sleep.

Wish it had worked out differently as he was a beautiful kitten.

DBIreland, you definitely did the right thing.

It doesn't surprise me that the vet put the kitten to sleep.

Feral kittens can indeed be tamed - but let's be honest: you have a seven month old child who is your priority, and where the vet IS accurate is that no shelter is going to take on that kitten, his injuries and his feral ways, and I wouldn't expect you to take him on either. It wouldn't be fair on your child, or your existing tame kitten, or the feral kitten. You already did more than some people would in taking the time to give it a fair go.

The kitten is no longer in pain and was humanely euthanised, instead of continuing to have to drag those injuries around until eventually dying of hunger, or being outrun by something, or being unable to dodge a car.

This isn't the happiest ending in the world, but it's the most realistic and I commend the efforts you made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I agree, it's sad, but realistically I don't see how you could have given that kitten the aftercare it would have needed if it wouldn't have let you handle it and it wouldn't have been fair on your child or the other kitten. At least the poor thing won't suffer anymore now...

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

the poor kitten was in a bad way and you went a step further than a lot of people would have ,,and you stopped the little thing suffering any more,,dont be sad ,,there's no more pain and if left alone had have had a terrible end,,well done to you,..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Well done, i know its probably not the out come you and boardsies would of wanted but at the end of the day the little guy is in a much better place and has no pain. A lot of people would not of bothered to do anything for the little guy but you stepped up and did what needed to be done. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's such a shame but good on you for giving the kitten a chance. Rescues are packed not sure if any could of taken the kitten in. Did the vet not give you some numbers to see if any of them had room. 3 legged cats do really well and wild/feral or whatever the term is nowadays can be tamed down.

Saying that so many rescues etc. haven't got the money or recourses to take on a cat and the vet probably knows the rescues in the area. So many cats at this time of year it's impossible to save them all.

At least the cat didn't have to suffer to the end and if you hadn't taken him in god knows where the poor thing would of ended up or how long he would of suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

hello there,

i just wanted to say that i was offline over the last couple of days. one of the first things i did this evening was log back into boards.ie so i could find out the rest of your little cat's story.

i must say, i'm so happy you found this little creature and gave him a peaceful end to his painful life. there is already enough suffereing around. that must have been a tough decision.

best wishes to you and your growing family. i hope you find pets to bring into your home to love someday. they will be very lucky!

Advertisement