Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-life diners club

• 29-07-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Has anyone bought a Hi-life diners club voucher? There have been ads in the paper lately for this, you pay E50 and you get 2 meals for the price of one in a load of restaurants.
    Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had any experience using these in ireland. Do the restaurants listed actually take the card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Melanie1

I signed up last October and after an initial few good experiences, it has taken a turn for the worse. Recently three restaurants which I contacted (all listed in the book as participating restaurants) told me that they no longer accept the card. Good when it works but there's an ever shrinking pool of restaurants to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I also had a card for the past year. I bought it using my Tesco clubcard vouchers so it only cost €17.

I came across a few restaurants that said they no longer accepted the card. Anytime I contacted the Hi-Life Admin they sorted it out but I had to have the initial battle in the restaurant. Not my idea of fun when I've paid to use the card in the first place.

I ended up just using the card in two restaurants; Milanos and Gourmet Burger Kitchen, on multiple occasions. (The restaurants can mark your card so that you can only use it once but most didn't) - in fact, in the year I had the card only one restaurant did.

I did get value from the card but decided not to renew this year as I don't think its really worth the hassle and restaurants like the ones mentioned earlier do regular deals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MusicDots

I've got a question: Do you HAVE to call them in advance, make a booking and mention that you have the card? Or can you just go to the restaurant and then show them the card when you get your bill? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

When I had a HighLife Card I would generally walk into the restaurant, ask for a table and mention that I would be using a HighLife Card. I suppose if it was the type of restaurant I had to book in advance I would have mentioned it when making the booking over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Meath2017

I too have been disappointed in using Hi-Life.

In what promised to be an exciting and rewarding concept, actually turned out to be an embarrassing disaster. I visited Milanos restaurant, 6 Excise Walk, Dublin in October 2018 and although I enjoyed an excellent meal with friendly service, my guest and I were surprised and embarrassed to be told that Hi-Life Cards are not accepted at that establishment. I pointed out the current Hi-Life advertising online on my smartphone and my card etc via the app. The waiter checked with management and it was confirmed, Hi-Life cards are not acceptable in that restaurant despite being promoted by Hi-Life.

Equally bad, I contacted Hi-Life twice using their advertised email contact method and received no reply whatsoever.

Lifesaver: In the restaurant, on the spot, I joined "Tastecard", saved myself over €20- and haven't had a single problem since even though I dine out at least twice per week.

Pity about Hi-Life, it could have been good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Meath2017, there hasn't been a post in this thread for seven years so I'm locking it. Feel free to start a new one but it would be much better suited to the Consumer Issues forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement