Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Rules

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I am renting an apartment in Co. Dublin. I asked my landlord recently if we could keep a cat. She said she would love nothing more than to say yes but the management company says we are not allowed to keep animals. Are the management companies actually allowed to stop people owning their own pets in their own houses?? I would understand if the landlord didnt want us having a pet but she would have no problem and even she, who owns her own property in the same complex cannot have her own pet in her own house she paid for!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Your landlady is a tenant of the management company. She has a lease with terms and conditions. If you want to keep a cat, get a cottage in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

yeah cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

They are enforced I'm afraid by the management company. Where I live there were loads of cats last year, which the management company had destroyed. There are plenty of young children living in my development, and cats could be potentially dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    less of the smart comments please. it was a genuine question.

I don't think Jo King made any smart comments, rather just stated the facts.

There are rules, and they can be enforced.

If your landlord said there are rules against it, then you can't have a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How is the "No animals" clause in leases enforced against parasites?? or is it only selectively applied....
    There's your out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

In my apartment complex the rules stipulate, no cats, dogs, or birds. I was actually surprised about the birds rule, but had taken the others as a given, due to previous apartment experience, so may have more to do with the noise factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How is the "No animals" clause in leases enforced against parasites?? or is it only selectively applied....
    There's your out.
    It usually refers to "keeping" animals. So unless you're tending to your parasites, that doesn't apply.

Management Companies can't "enforce" rules about animals by confiscating the animals or otherwise interfering with them. It's a contract agreement, so if you're found in violation of that contract, the management company can sue for breach of that contract and can sue you over and over again if you fail to get rid of the animal.
    Where you're a tenant and not a property owner, the management company can sue your landlord, who will very quickly evict you before it gets to court.

Where the homes are less packed togther (such as in tarraced houses or duplex/triplexes), you'll find that pets are often allowed so long as they don't pose a nuisance to your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Are the management companies actually allowed to stop people owning their own pets in their own houses?? !

The point is its not their house / apartment they are leasing it off the management company on a long term lease. The management company owns the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It really depends on the management company.

In the apartment block I live in, the management company is one guy, and he is useless.

Example:

My next door neighbour has had a leaking water tank for about three years. It is flooding his apartment, the corridor, and sometimes my apartment. The management company know this, but are doing nothing.

So I would imagine I could probably get away with owning a cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

AARRRGH wrote: »

In the apartment block I live in, the management company is one guy, and he is useless.

It depends on the development.

You're talking about the management agent, not the management company. If you've an issue with your management agent, then just write to the directors of the management company (look them up on the CRO website).

Some management companies will allow/permit pets, and some won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

AARRRGH wrote: »

Example:

My next door neighbour has had a leaking water tank for about three years. It is flooding his apartment, the corridor, and sometimes my apartment. The management company know this, but are doing nothing.

So I would imagine I could probably get away with owning a cat...

Why have you not had him sacked at the AGM? who would put up with that for three years.

Advertisement