Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid of someone raiding my current account.

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

I am living in South America and will be for another two years I hope. I keep all my money in a Bank of Ireland current account. My credit card and my atm card are attached to this account. In recent times I have heard and read about people getting their accounts cleaned out. I want to transfer about 70% of the money out. This way if someond got in, they could not drain out all my money. The issue is where I can transfer it to. I have an easysaver account but I can not transfer in a lump sum I believe. You can only use a direct debit as I do so I have some savings locked away. Because I am overseas I am not sure if I can open up any account as I'm sure my parents could not do this on my behalf?? Can I open an account online, pref. with B.O.I. to keep it simple. The money I want to transfer, I do not want it completely locked away in a savings account that I can not touch. I am hoping to use the excess balance to do some more travelling. Any help or experience with this situation is much appreciated. And yes I am planning to call B.O.I. but it's a pain because of the time difference and my working hours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do BOI allow you to apply for online savings accounts online? I know AIB do .. it pretty much sets them up there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

You can't lodge directly to an easysaver but..You can up the direct debit to your easysaver to €1000. a month until you get all the funds you want into it, then just reduce it back down to what it was before. This can be done by writing to your bank, as your money is not tied into the easy saver you can write to your branch and have them transfer over the money to your current account when you need it.
    Once they have your hardcopy of your letter they match signatures and give you a 'callback' to confirm you request.
    The good old letter is alive and well and available for all your needs.

If you account is fraudlent "raided" , although it can take a little while, you are entitled to the money back you know, the same goes for atm card skimming.

HTH.

Advertisement