Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC internet

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Anyone having problems with their UPC internet at the moment? It's the first time this has happened to me and it has normally been brilliant. But yesterday and today the connection just keeps dropping down to nothing sporadically, then its fine again for a minute and then back down again. I'm in the Rahoon area by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No probs here (city centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

All good here (taylors hill)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mine has been very "meh" today, not slow as such, just not anywhere near the 20megs im paying for!

(cladagh here btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Cheers lads, dont know whats wrong with it. Cant keep a steady connection at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Fine here out in Knocknacarra. Getting more or less top speed out of the 20mb package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yup, been glitchy for me too..both out in wellpark and city centre (down on the docks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Generally grand here but it has sporadic littl bouts where I can't do anything with it for maybe 20 seconds and it's fine again

(Wellpark)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

No problems for me in the city centre. Speed was as fast as ever last night. I'm pretty impressed with their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ours (Knocknacarra) has been a bit flakey the past couple of weeks. You know working, then stops for a while, then works, then stops, then works for hours before it starts acting the maggot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yep, im having the same problem OP. Extremely annoying since im playing online games :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah that's my issue as well. It's fine for general internet usage but extremely annoying for downloads and online games. It's only been happening since tuesday for me so hopefully it's just an anomaly and things will be back to normal.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Does any tech savvie people know what could be causing this? Just to repeat, what's happening is that I get full bandwidth for maybe 10secs, then it slows right down to nothing, connection lost, then after about 30secs its back up to full again..and on and on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tarsisd2

i think that its a DNS problem if not just go back to your previous settings.
    change your DNS to open DNS do the following if you use windows vista

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)and then click Properties.

Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses

Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

click ok. and thats it!
    and please post the results!

If its a DNS problem like that then why would it have worked perfectly for a year and then all of a sudden start having problems? I havent changed any settings recently. I'm on XP by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

DMBandit wrote: »
    If its a DNS problem like that then why would it have worked perfectly for a year and then all of a sudden start having problems? I havent changed any settings recently. I'm on XP by the way.

I think what he means is it might be a problem with the DNS Servers you are setup to use. So your setting never changed but the servers could be having trouble. Just like the eircom DNS problem a couple of weeks back.

Ah cool that makes sense, sorry. And the scariest thing is that I actually work in IT :o

Cheers lads i'll give it a go.

No joy with changing the DNS settings unfortunately, I changed them both on my wireless router and on the laptop but still the same behaviour.

I've sent UPC an email, surely i'll get a brilliant and informative response from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Aye the same here. Thanks for the help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

No probs in Prospect Hill as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tarsisd2

if its no the DNS then i dont know what it is,
    when i was having trouble with eircom i changed the DNS and it was even better,
    maybe i can help you,
    try this
    Click on Start button and then click on Run (alternatively just hit Windows + R keys) to open Run command dialog. Type Cmd into the Run box, and hit Enter.

A command prompt DOS window will open. Type ipconfig /flushdns and then press Enter
    then type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter.
    what modem are you using,
    can you login to your router menu setting and see if the DSL or INTERNET and DNs is working or its is down!

go to command prompt again and type Ping www.google.com to see if you get an response

Advertisement