Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Access

Options
  • 29-07-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I am thinking of using Microsoft Access database for customer contacts in my small business. Anyone know of good courses in Access?
    Or would you recommend other databases that are easy to learn or use

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Its not too bad, ive used it for college, there are many good books and websites out there to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

IMHO MS Access is handiest to get something up and running quickly.

But you should definately spend some time understanding constraints/referential integrity/etc to make it all hang together correctly and make maintenence/enhancements easier.

Check out some of the sample databases supplied with Access and remember that Google is your friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 moot

Why don't you try a pre-configured solution such as microsoft business contact manager. I have it on my lap-top, but I don't use it much. It integrates well with outlook. It would save you all the configuration hassle so you can focus on your core business.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I recommend Filemaker

see
    http://www.filemaker.com/products/fmp/index.html?nav=products-pro

They provide a really good contact management template. The google maps locator by address is really smart. Also if you have a small business network you can share the database over the network using a web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Depends on what you want to do. Google Apps has built in contact management stuff and only cost €40 a year per user for permier edition, the standard edition is free.

http://www.eazybusiness.com provide similar cloud based solutions.

However if you want to develop it for development purposes or need custom work done than access isn't too bad (I suppose).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think you should forget access and install an open source app like vTigerCRM ... you get a full CRM with a lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Have you looked at SqlLite? if its a small project. And I know its being mentioned a million times before but MySQL is an old reliable. I even like MSSQL Express for my projets as long as portability is not an issue mainly because of the management/profiling and reporting tools that come along with it and not to mention its seemless intigration to Visual Studio.

Advertisement