Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours sticky?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Can we have a sticky thread for completely unsubstaniated rumours? I think a new thread for every "fedor signs UFC contract" rumour is irritating. Or more conveniently, stop posting this rubbish. Am I over reacting or does anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah I was thinking a while ago that there should be a random thread where all the random sh't can be posted.

Like the Off Topic threads that a few forums have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think you are over reacting maybr, folk are free to post whatever they like with in the rules and start topics on what ever they like as long as its in keeping with mma, more annoying for the mods i guess would be having to merge threads on the same subject, btu in the end totally up to you if you read the thread or not , one irrelevant thread to you could be considered good discussion by others.

I'm not having a go at you here , i hear you on the brock/fedor , fedor going to the ufc bull**** but really at the end of the day those threads dont bother me as i have remind myself that i choose to click into them in the 1st place :)

Edit : I should add i came into this thread because of the title to see what juicy gossip there was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

calex71 wrote: »
    Edit : I should add i came into this thread because of the title to see what juicy gossip there was :(
    +1
    Change the title FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can we have a sticky thread for completely unsubstaniated rumours? I think a new thread for every "fedor signs UFC contract" rumour is irritating. Or more conveniently, stop posting this rubbish. Am I over reacting or does anyone agree?

Agreed, it would certainly help clear up the mess here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its an mma forum, you dont have to read threads if you dont want to. Catch all threads dont work if 5 different people are trying to talk on 3 different topics at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Fair enough.

I think the forum should aim for quality content over quantity. I think threads with titles such as "UFC signs Fedor" are useless. Firstly, the thread title holds the sum total of the thread because all the thread has is a link to some MMA gossip site with 2/3 MMA idiots discussing the hypothetical. So people saying
    "you choose to click the thread" obviously don't see the point. If you want this forum to be a cesspool for all the 2nd hand MMA gossip out there so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

The less rules the better I think. I still don't like the split in MMA and self defense. Its all martial arts related to me.

As long as its not obvious trolling let ppl talk. U only chase some ppl away when u act the dictator

Fair enough.

I think the forum should aim for quality content over quantity. I think threads with titles such as "UFC signs Fedor" are useless. Firstly, the thread title holds the sum total of the thread because all the thread has is a link to some MMA gossip site with 2/3 MMA idiots discussing the hypothetical. So people saying
    "you choose to click the thread" obviously don't see the point. If you want this forum to be a cesspool for all the 2nd hand MMA gossip out there so be it.

Cesspool :D bit over the top no?

All the fun of a build up to announcements is the speculation and rumors that come before, well i see a fun side to it anyway.

Ill take your point re: the titles, the example of UFC signs Fedor should have been put differently agreed.

But i really fail to see how discussing the speculation and rumors is anything more than a bit of fun between people excited about a imminent ''BIG'' announcement :confused:

We are certainly a long way off Sherdog levels of cess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well like Nothingcompares said, it does not have to be a sticky, this thread could be used as a thread for rumours and if it stays bumped by rumours then it might work out-Or people could just use common sense and instead of posting 3 threads on Fedor going to join the UFC instead of using just 1 then we would not have a problem, or saying rumour in the title instead of a factual statement like Fedor signs for ufc when he has not, yet hopefully!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Well like Nothingcompares said, it does not have to be a sticky, this thread could be used as a thread for rumours and if it stays bumped by rumours then it might work out-Or people could just use common sense and instead of posting 3 threads on Fedor going to join the UFC instead of using just 1 then we would not have a problem, or saying rumour in the title instead of a factual statement like Fedor signs for ufc when he has not, yet hopefully!

That i could agree with , also using a tag like we have for spoilers [rumor] or something, they have a nice system over on bargain alerts that makes you tag the thread like that when you post it , but probably way over the top for here and impractical.

• Advertisement

+ 100000
    Can we have a rule about sourcing from MMABay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jason Mc wrote: »
    The less rules the better I think. I still don't like the split in MMA and self defense. Its all martial arts related to me.

I love the change tbh.

Its just a pity that the endless threads of which 'Nothingcompares' is posting about brings this forum closer to an entertainments forum than a Martial Arts forum, and I feel ultimately that will be the downfall of this forum.

We've some brilliant MMA fighters/coaches here but apart from promoting their events few give any insight into their coaching/training methods, we know damn all about their clubs & backgrounds etc, which for me at least is a pity. I don't think its their fault per se, I just don't feel there's a proper MMA atmosphere here to encourage those guys to post up more.

I'd love to get more insight into the Irish MMA scene through this forum, like I can with the traditional M.A. scene in the SD&MA forum.

I think the OP has opened up a good discussion.

I love the change tbh.

Its just a pity that the endless threads of which 'Nothingcompares' is posting about brings this forum closer to an entertainments forum than a Martial Arts forum, and I feel ultimately that will be the downfall of this forum.

We've some brilliant MMA fighters/coaches here but apart from promoting their events few give any insight into their coaching/training methods, we know damn all about their clubs & backgrounds etc, which for me at least is a pity. I don't think its their fault per se, I just don't feel there's a proper MMA atmosphere here to encourage those guys to post up more.

I'd love to get more insight into the Irish MMA scene through this forum, like I can with the traditional M.A. scene in the SD&MA forum.

I think the OP has opened up a good discussion.

I can see that view , the way it is now SD/MA is usually for the serious discussion of MA like training etc. But someone with a question of that type of area or about a local event etc on MMA isnt going to post in SD/MA as there is an MMA forum right there when they look, it's a tough one to call as on one hand like i say i support all manner of the discussion on here but I would hate to see more serious subject like on the subject of training get lost and unnoticed.

You say it's becoming like an entertainment forum , you're right, but like it or not thats all mma is to a lot of people , and is the only reason they follow and watch it , as a form of entertainment in the same way they watch football or what ever, and theres nothing wrong with that.

It does raise the question of do you need to separate the board, in to sub forums like MMA and UFC/ Events discussion?

I think theres room for all here and wouldn't see the need, and that would kind of reopen another argument from a few months back on a related subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭cletus

I reckon a dedicated rumours thread would end up like the mma thread that spawned this sub forum, a complete mess, loads of different conversations mixed up, and if you dont check it every hour, then you have to trawl through pages of stuff to find where you left off.

Just my 2 cents

Advertisement