Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint flakey outside walls?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

have to paint wall at back of house. the paint is peeling and green(meant to be white) in places. prob soaking in water?
    i have stripped it as best i can.used a wire brush and a scaper.

i intend to coat it with pva before i paint it.

any ideas/suggestions? am i doing this the correct way?

ta muchly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Stablising solution, then paint with a good masonry paint.....Dulux Weather Shield....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭kindalen

have that paint.any brand of solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Same applied to a house I bought first, A friend of mine(painter and decorator) told me to get at it with a wire brush. I could not becuase it was pebal dash. He told me to use a stableiser and apply it first. I stripped around the edges of the big peels as I went.

I used santex emulsion. It worked great, When I am painting outside I always coat first with PVA. It saves on soakage but I imagine that if you coat twice 1st coat half PVA half paint you will get a better finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭kindalen

thanks, will the stab solution help with damp too? no cap on top of wall and i very much doubt there is a dpc,also area is quite boggy.

Advertisement